drive shaft Q - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > drive shaft Q

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDG

Unread 06-23-2011, 11:17 AM   #1
Darman
1995 ZJ 

drive shaft Q

i have a 95 V8 ZJ orvis with the upcountry package and NP249. Im planning on doing a F>R swap and a 242 TC. I broke my front drive shaft and im wondering if i buy a new stock one if itll work with the F>R swap and 242 TC. if so im also looking for one
thanks

Darman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2011, 02:50 PM   #2
Darman
1995 ZJ 

bump
Unread 07-10-2011, 04:00 PM   #3
sadass
5.9,242,4.56,Aussies x 2

1998 ZJ 

Yes and no, It may work for sometime but the problem is the drive shaft you have is probably a CV style or (prop-shaft) front drive shaft,which was used in the v-8's grands . this drive shaft is factory set in length and will not tolerate the change in length required due to the lift . Not as well as the standard U-joint /slip yoke style that the 4.0s came with. at 3.5" you will be pushing it .
As far as will it mate to the 242 transfer case, Yes, All the drive shaft and transfer case combos are inter changeable, meaning the U-joint mate at the transfer case end of the driveshaft is the same size and style with all the combinations. 249,242,231 to CV or U-joint style
A good number of us on here that lifted the v-8 grands have have ditched that cv style and went with the yoke at the diff set up.
sadass is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2011, 04:28 PM   #4
Darman
1995 ZJ 

my stock front drive shaft was u joint style with a double cardan joint in it. I blew the cv ball in the double cardan joint so im looking for a new one but dont want to by a stock one if ill have to change it when i get a lift. Im looking at Rough countrys 4inch long arm lift kit now. will the stock drive shafts work with this?

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.