drive shaft help. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > drive shaft help.

Engo LED Flush Mount Lights *PAIR* Flood or Spot 1,600 LumYukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon ZipRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 03-04-2014, 10:02 AM   #1
93ZJDave
1993 ZJ 

drive shaft help.

So this summer I plan on making some major changes to my jeep new gears rebuilding the axles and adding a locker but i want to add a 2 inch budget lift on top of my 4 inch rough country lift it has sagged over time. Now my current drive shaft is close to falling out of the transfer case so I'll need a longer drive shaft. No transfer cases drops or sye's can I use a drive shaft from a Comanche or make a driveshaft from a stock truck and just change the slip yoke part on it? My zj is the 4.0 ax15 with the 231 so I'm pretty sure my driveshaft is already longer then an auto zj I'm also running the rough country long arm in the rear and adjustable short lowers up front and stock uppers. Any help would be greatly appreciated please any ignorance will not be tolerated I just want some help not stupid answers. Thanks

93ZJDave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-04-2014, 10:11 AM   #2
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

I have never needed a longer drive shaft front or rear even at around 5" of lift on a 95 5.2. Are you sure you need a longer drive shaft?
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-04-2014, 10:15 AM   #3
speedbucket
1993 ZJ 

granted i have a 93 v8 (longest zj/xj front driveshaft)
I got a rugged ridge SYE that has the bigger mainshaft with a higher spline on the output so i could swap in a 1350 yoke down the road if i went tons(kit comes with 1310 yoke) I actually use the same double cardan driveshaft front and rear and i pushed rear axle back 2-3". my guess is you could do the same using a 93-95 v8 front shaft with a sye. to measure just jack the frame up until you get you 6" total lift and measure. i want to say the 93-95 v8 shaft is 32-33" collapsed from ujoint center to ujoint center
Unread 03-04-2014, 10:16 AM   #4
speedbucket
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaPower View Post
I have never needed a longer drive shaft front or rear even at around 5" of lift on a 95 5.2. Are you sure you need a longer drive shaft?
at 5" i could wobble my rear slip yoke easily at ride height, maybe it the splines were worn but i wasn't fond of the notion
Unread 03-04-2014, 10:27 AM   #5
93ZJDave
1993 ZJ 

The slip yoke is only in the case I think about an inch and a half maybe 2 I adjusted my rear arms per instructions so idk whata up but I will need a new shaft I think if I go 2 more inches a total of 6 then I'll have to look or just try it if I have to which I would really hate to do I'll put a 1 inch case drop but that's a last resort
Unread 03-04-2014, 12:08 PM   #6
OverlandZJ
1998 ZJ 

I haven't been a ZJ owner long, and I did an SYE with a 4.5 lift so..

I'd imagine with 6" of lift and an OEM rear driveshaft with Longarm's your operating angle on the ujoints is gonna be maxed out and binding. Potentially damaging the transfercase. Just my .02..
OverlandZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-04-2014, 01:16 PM   #7
93ZJDave
1993 ZJ 

Nah drive line angle is perfect no binding here I have the axle adjusted so the angle is fine I've had the jeep 5 years and not once put u joints in it I'm gonna try a Comanche drive shaft it not I'll pay to have one extended I don't want a slip yoke eliminator.
Unread 03-04-2014, 02:03 PM   #8
speedbucket
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93ZJDave View Post
Nah drive line angle is perfect no binding here I have the axle adjusted so the angle is fine I've had the jeep 5 years and not once put u joints in it I'm gonna try a Comanche drive shaft it not I'll pay to have one extended I don't want a slip yoke eliminator.
you could always have a driveline shop extend yours. I went with the sye because:
1. i needed the clearance over the rear crossmember for the double triangulated
2. it allows me to eventually run 1350 driveshaft
3. roll the pinion up on the 8.8 for driveshaft protection and a rock will hit the housing before the pinion flange
4. carry one spare driveshaft that will cover front and back

Unread 03-04-2014, 03:18 PM   #9
93ZJDave
1993 ZJ 

I like the idea on having 1 shaft for front and rear but don't wanna spend that kinda money I'm going to look into getting one lengthened or adding the cardon joint to my stock shaft I think if I just add the joint to my stock shaft it may add the few inches I need or maybe a Comanche shaft I gotta do some measurements and see what I come up with that's a sick setup ya got there by the way in was also looking into a hack and tap if they work I don't want to put much more money into the jeep it already has way more then its worth into it
Unread 03-10-2014, 09:49 AM   #10
93ZJDave
1993 ZJ 

So I found a 242 transfer case in the junkyard its in an older Cherokee with the older style speedo gear but it has a real slip yoke eliminator installed on it. The rear drive start is bent tho the jeep was hit hard in the front I think it was a 92 Cherokee bug my question is will the sye fit my 231? Or should I just spend 50 bucks and buy the whole transfer case and swap it in. But will it work on my ax15 being off an automatic aw4
Unread 03-10-2014, 12:12 PM   #11
WVZJ
1998 ZJ 

Wow! I get a headache trying to read your posts. This should help you out.
http://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge...nput_gears.htm
07 Ram 2500 5.9 ctd
WVZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-10-2014, 02:36 PM   #12
93ZJDave
1993 ZJ 

Thanks for the link. And there called words ya form then using things called letters lol. sorry I'm to lazy for punctuation normally my phone adds them for me sometimes it don't.
Unread 03-11-2014, 01:57 AM   #13
speedbucket
1993 ZJ 

It must be a hack n tap sye. In my opinion going from a 231 to a 242 is a downgrade.
Unread 03-11-2014, 06:32 AM   #14
93ZJDave
1993 ZJ 

That's how I felt the case I found is a rea sye I can tell Cuz the whole rear of the case looks brand new like where the speed sensor goes for 50 bucks tho I may buy it just to flip to make some cash to fund my project lol but id rather my 231 anyway its a stronger and better case in my opinion who needs full time 4wd I have driven my jeep in part time on the street for a full day with no issues so I don't see the point but the 242 would be good if someone has a 249 and was a good upgrade and an sye idk how much I could get for it but I'm sure I can make a profit the jeep that its in has lift springs and aftermarket control arms I may go take all that to for my wife's Cherokee lol
Unread 03-12-2014, 05:50 PM   #15
OtatKen
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93ZJDave View Post
So I found a 242 transfer case in the junkyard its in an older Cherokee with the older style speedo gear but it has a real slip yoke eliminator installed on it. The rear drive start is bent tho the jeep was hit hard in the front I think it was a 92 Cherokee bug my question is will the sye fit my 231? Or should I just spend 50 bucks and buy the whole transfer case and swap it in. But will it work on my ax15 being off an automatic aw4
Chances are, that 242 has a hack & tap SYE as, from my understanding, a true SYE is not possible on a 242. So, it will likely not fit the 231.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.