Drilling under the driver seat... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Drilling under the driver seat...

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Light up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutDon't forget the Jeep Forum discount, 10% off!

Unread 07-19-2013, 01:31 AM   #1
SARnSurvival

Drilling under the driver seat...

So, I'm prepping to do a dual band commercial radio in my 98 ZJ grand cherokee. I've decided to install the radio under the driver's seat since there is plenty of room and it's a nice location to feed the antenna and power wires to.

My question is this... can i drill the radio mount bracket into the floor panel? Is there anything under there I should be worries about and how do I check to make sure the area I'm mounting the screw to wont be hitting anything important? I could probably get away with a single screw but I'd prefer two for a more secure mount.

thanks for the help... I'm new to Jeeps and love reading these forums

SARnSurvival is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-19-2013, 03:38 AM   #2
caseyliffick
1995 ZJ 

I would just make sure you seal it, and make sure you aren't drilling in to your exhaust. You should be fine. You can see where your seats bolt in to the floor of the car from the underside. Measure where you want the mount in distance from the seat bolts and then drill from the underside if you really want peace of mind.
caseyliffick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-19-2013, 04:56 AM   #3
gearheadnick
1997 ZJ 

All the time I've invested in fixing holes in floors, and you're gonna add your own?

I'm just kidding. Just make sure you use lots of undercoating or something to keep the screw holes from rusting out the rest of the floor.
Unread 07-19-2013, 12:06 PM   #4
zjosh93
1993 ZJ 

IMS there are brake and fuel lines running along the inside of the "frame rail" on the drivers side. Probably not good to hit those. I think the parking brake cable may run through there too but it's been awhile since I was looking up at that area. Nothing important bolts to the underside of that sheet metal though. As others have pointed out, make sure to seal your fasteners. Maybe use bolts with rubber washers and RTV.
zjosh93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-19-2013, 02:35 PM   #5
capcyclone

1998 ZJ 

I agree with everyone that's posted and would repeat that I would definitely drill from the underside "up" to ensure you don't hit something you don't intend to.
Unread 07-19-2013, 05:18 PM   #6
SARnSurvival

Thanks for all the feedback, everyone. I'm gonna try to find an alternative to drilling because it would suck to have a rusting issue. Though if I do end of drilling I think with a rubber grommet and some undercoat it should be okay.
SARnSurvival is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-19-2013, 10:15 PM   #7
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

If you're going to take the seat out to do it, consider making a plate with holes to match the seat bolts. Then use the plate to hold mounting studs for your equipment. Not sure it's feasible, just a drawing board idea.
ZeeJay1997 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.