The dreaded engine randomly shuts off while driving problem. - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > The dreaded engine randomly shuts off while driving problem.

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 09-19-2009, 07:42 PM   #16
SamzJeep

1988 YJ Wrangler 

I looked at the pics of yours. That is totally different than the '96! I've never seen one like yours. The one on my daughter's is kinda silver looking and it's under the hood on the passenger side on the firewall behind the radiator overflow tank. Under the three large plugs (right under them) are the two small screws on hers. I've looked at other ZJ's and they all looked like my daughter's. I do believe that starting in '96, they had PCM's and not ECM's (per the repair manual). I googled a ton on this and that was what I found. But what your Jeep is doing sounds exactly what my daughter's Jeep was doing. It's going on just over a week and she has had no problems at all (so far). If I find anything on a '95 ZJ, I'll let you know asap. Good luck....

SamzJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2009, 08:35 AM   #17
Ved

Still chasing the gremlin...

Alright.

Put a new Battery in. Changed the Crank Position sensor. The jeep started and then 5 seconds later died. Started it again brought it up to 2,500 rmp and held it for a few seconds and it idled fine for a few minutes. Went to back out and it died.

My uncle suggested swapping the shutdown relay with a different one. So I did. It started up fine and I let it idle for like 5 minutes. Then decided to take it for a test drive. Went 6 miles to a gas station with no problems. It even seemed to run better(could have just been in my head). Stopped at the gas station to get a soda, came back out and it started, and as I backed out of the parking space it died. As soon as it died I decided to cycle the key on and off in an attempt to see if I was getting any new codes. Now here is the weird part. The check engine light flashed a couple times then went all haywire. It was blinking like a strobe intermittently and then just stayed on.

I tried it a second time with same results. Check light was blinking unlike it should when giving codes. All messed up. Third attempt and it threw me just one code(12) that the battery had been recently disconnected(which it has because I just put a new one in). Started the Jeep and it proceeded to stall 7 more times just trying to drive those 6 miles back home.

Also, when it dies... The only dummy light that shows is one that says "security" to the far right of the dummy panel. The security system has been disabled however.

Today I am going to check some grounds, and make sure the alternator is ok.

Other than that I am not sure what would be the best thing to check next. My uncle seems to believe it's the ECM, due to the way the check engine light seems to go retarded when trying to pull codes.

I am leaning a little toward the alt going bad, but in my past experience, an alt is either bad, or its not. Is it possible that mine could be going bad, and therefor, failing intermittently once it warms up? Or is it just wishful thinking on my part?

*On a side note*
I forgot to mention. On several occasions after starting it back up, it would idle fine for a few seconds then the RPM's would go up and and then back to normal. In drive this was a bit scary as I had to apply extra pressure to my brakes to keep it from pulling itself forward... Throttle Position sensor?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated guys.

Last edited by Ved; 09-23-2009 at 09:10 AM..
Ved is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.