DRBII Alternatives? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 Old 02-13-2012, 08:59 PM Thread Starter
Lakoswolf
1993 ZJ 

DRBII Alternatives?

Greetings everyone,

I've been looking around and it would seem that DRBII scanners are becoming a scarce item. Does anyone know of any third party alternatives given the age of the technology? I have access to a snap-on scanner (and I know about the code grab via the MIL/CEL on my '93 ZJ) but so far as I know those are only good for OBDI & OBDII. From what I've seen DRBIII would be far too expensive, and I'm not entirely sure that it's backwards compatible. I would rather bulk up my toolbox than pay the dealer should I need to pull an SRS or ABS etc. code in the future.

Thanks

"Those who say it cannot be done should not interrupt the one doing it." -Chinese Proverb
----------------------
93' Grand Cherokee 5.2 Ltd. - Mine
93' Grand Wagoneer 5.2- Dad's
93' Grand Cherokee 4.0 Ltd. (Deceased)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 02-13-2012, 10:06 PM
AVR2
Web Wheeler
1993 ZJ 

I asked a while back if there were any software-based DRB-II scanners which would run on a laptop, such as you can get for OBD, but there was nothing. It looks like the only option is to find a professional unit.

According to the DRB-III manual, it's designed to work with vehicles from 1994 onwards, but is hardware-capable of supporting older vehicles. I think that means that to use it with a 1993 ZJ you'd have to have the relevant plug-in firmware module. The biggest problem though, as you say, is the price.

If you just want to bleed the ABS system, you can also use the Thexton 133 or Ford t90p-50-ala. These aren't scan tools, they plug directly into the ABS system via the ABS computer connector and cycle the valves to flush any trapped air out of the system. Back in 2006 you could get a Thexton for under $60.
post #3 of 3 Old 02-17-2012, 08:40 PM Thread Starter
Lakoswolf
1993 ZJ 

Thanks for the info. I wanted to snag the DRB for versatility, but that's good to know about the breaks seeing as I'll probably be doing that soon.

"Those who say it cannot be done should not interrupt the one doing it." -Chinese Proverb
----------------------
93' Grand Cherokee 5.2 Ltd. - Mine
93' Grand Wagoneer 5.2- Dad's
93' Grand Cherokee 4.0 Ltd. (Deceased)

Tags
code , drbii , zj

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.