DORMAN Exhaust Manifolds??? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > DORMAN Exhaust Manifolds???

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippThe Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Ruffstuff 3 Link Kit!

Unread 06-03-2013, 01:05 PM   #1
ChopperX
1997 ZJ 

DORMAN Exhaust Manifolds???

Has anyone heard anything good about DORMAN and their exhaust manifolds? I have to get mine replaced and the factory part is about $500 from my local shop.

Any other recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee
4.0L Inline 6

ChopperX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2013, 02:51 PM   #2
JasonStebbins
1997 ZJ 

I just replaced mine about a month ago with the Dorman. It has the expansion tubes on each side to prevent cracking in the future. Perfect fit and easy installation. And it's stainless steel. I would recommend getting a FelPro gasket rather then using the one that comes with it though.

$500.00?! Mine came to $140.00 at Advance Auto with the online coupons.
JasonStebbins is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2013, 04:13 PM   #3
AaronButler
1996 ZJ 

yea, I could understand $500 if Labor was included, because they are a little bit of a butt to get to/replace. But If you are planning on doing it yourself, anything "non-preformance" and spending over $150 is waaay too much.
Unread 06-03-2013, 05:16 PM   #4
jmonty0523
1997 ZJ 

i've had mine installed for about a year, no cracks or any issues at all yet
(o) )-o---) ) (o) )-o---) )______
jmonty0523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2013, 05:28 PM   #5
ChopperX
1997 ZJ 

Well my local shop had the part which costs $500 from his dealer. Labor is about $350 so it would have cost about $900 - $1000 to get it replaced. I can buy the part and bring it to the shop and just pay the $350 labor.

I'm not too good with working on cars. More of a computer guy haha.
Unread 06-03-2013, 07:48 PM   #6
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonStebbins View Post
I would recommend getting a FelPro gasket rather then using the one that comes with it though.
^^x2

Clearances are a little tight at the engine mount and oil pan, but it fits
ZeeJay1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2013, 10:01 PM   #7
Oldfrog
Web Wheeler
1997 ZJ 

Here's a tip for you that will save you some headaches and money, later. While your mechanic is replacing the manifold, get him to replace the freeze plugs on the side of the block, if they're the original ones. They cost about a buck or two apiece and there are 5 of them, as I recall.

It's almost impossible to replace them without the exhaust manifold removed on the 4.0....so since it's off already......spend the $5.

Words of wisdom, Posted by Zeejay:
"..it's not air, it is the opposite of air... suckage so to speak."

Stalling? Work through Zeejay's list
Oldfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2013, 10:39 PM   #8
Grand_ZJ
1996 XJ Cherokee 

You also have to remember that when a shop has to order parts there is a mark up on outside purchases up to like 60%.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Unread 06-04-2013, 07:29 AM   #9
dellis
1998 ZJ 

I put a Dorman on mine, and the fit and operation are great. I've noticed a lot of complaints about other manufacturers and their fits, but the Dormans seem to be good.

Regarding the gasket that comes with the Dorman, as others have noted, I agree that it is lower quality and a Fel-Pro would be a better option ... but I installed it anyway and haven't had problems with it ... yet.
dellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2013, 10:27 AM   #10
ChopperX
1997 ZJ 

Okay thanks the help guys. Making me feel better about getting the DORMAN. The markup makes sense if the factory part costs $500
Unread 06-04-2013, 11:33 AM   #11
zjosh93
1993 ZJ 

Back when I worked at a parts store the shops we sold to would mark parts up 100%. That $350 in labor sounds high for a job I can do in a couple hours. I would have guessed that book time on it was around four hours. What's the shop's labor rate?
zjosh93 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2013, 12:24 AM   #12
ChopperX
1997 ZJ 

I'm gonna ask more places in my area for their cost on labor.
Unread 06-05-2013, 01:23 AM   #13
Oldfrog
Web Wheeler
1997 ZJ 

Just remember...."cheap" labor is not always a bargain in the long run.....but neither is very expensive labor a guarantee of the job being done right. This is a pretty simple procedure, overall, if you're handy with some basic mechanic skills and tools. One just has to take one's time and not snap off any bolts, nor become frustrated. That said, I wouldn't do it for less than $350, and maybe not even for that because I am above all, a capitalist... Get a buddy who knows what he's doing, give him a case of beer and spend the rest on some tools to be able to do this job yourself. It's mentally relaxing. Until a bolt snaps off....

Words of wisdom, Posted by Zeejay:
"..it's not air, it is the opposite of air... suckage so to speak."

Stalling? Work through Zeejay's list
Oldfrog is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.