Door Panel Trim lights on and Battery Dies - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Door Panel Trim lights on and Battery Dies

USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 10-14-2013, 09:06 PM   #1
joe19934
1998 ZJ 

Door Panel Trim lights on and Battery Dies

I have a 98 Jeep Grand Cherokee and the Battery died several times since I got it. ( I think the BCM is not going into sleep mode )

Last week I noticed the red light for the alarm set on the dash using the remote and the battery didn't die over the past few days now today I noticed the red light wont go on with the remote and I noticed to door panel lights where the locks and windows controls are on.
I noticed with the key out of the ignition and the drivers side door open you can raise and lower the window.
I know you shouldn't be able to do that.

I would think the BCM is not going to sleep.
I searched and found it may be the lift gate switches....
Any ideas how to verify which is bad other then the domes not coming on ?
What steps should I take to figure this out ?
Does anyone have a location and photo for the BCM...
What inputs does the BCM need to go into sleep mode and allow factory alarm to arm as its not at the moment and killing the battery.
Thank you for any help in advance.

Unread 10-15-2013, 05:17 AM   #2
coralman
green backs to no backs

1998 ZJ 

There is a delay kind of feature on the raising and lowering the windows,mine has always done that. But it usually times out. I've got to go to work right now. You can read amp draw at the battery to determine if the BCM is going to sleep.

Links to axle rebuilds, mount replace,a/c box rebuild,ect in history section of my profile page
coralman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2013, 05:26 AM   #3
joe19934
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by coralman View Post
There is a delay kind of feature on the raising and lowering the windows,mine has always done that. But it usually times out. I've got to go to work right now. You can read amp draw at the battery to determine if the BCM is going to sleep.
I looked this morning and the lights on the window and door locks and mirrors buttons were still on so I am sure the BCM is not going to sleep. Beside door ajar and liftgare switches is there anything else say like a switch on the locks? The interior lights are off.
Unread 10-15-2013, 04:12 PM   #4
coralman
green backs to no backs

1998 ZJ 

Since you are alarmed there are key switches that click onto the back of the lock mechanism. I don't know that they would do what you are experiencing. But they do override the fob I believe it the locks are actuated. Simple enough to test as there is a connector towards the latch end of the door. Disco battery,separate the connector, and ohm while operating the locks. As an alterternative you could backprobe at the door harness after separating that connector.

lock-switches.jpg

Links to axle rebuilds, mount replace,a/c box rebuild,ect in history section of my profile page
Unread 10-15-2013, 07:42 PM   #5
joe19934
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Since you are alarmed there are key switches that click onto the back of the lock mechanism. I don't know that they would do what you are experiencing. But they do override the fob I believe it the locks are actuated. Simple enough to test as there is a connector towards the latch end of the door. Disco battery,separate the connector, and ohm while operating the locks. As an alterternative you could backprobe at the door harness after separating that connector.

Attachment 760289
Thank you Coralman I think I found the issue the Switch for the liftgate was starting to come apart.
I saw that somewhere in another post. For now I compressed it with a C-clamp and took an automatic center punch and peened the metal over the plastic part of the switch to keep it from coming apart again.
The other thing I think I was doing to keep it from going into sleep mode was a simple mistake but a big one - I'm not used to the ignition so I am sure I was leaving it in ACC and not turning the Ignition completely off.
Good thing is while trying to figure out the issue I found the BCM LOL
Unread 10-16-2013, 04:22 AM   #6
coralman
green backs to no backs

1998 ZJ 

Glad you got it !

Unread 10-16-2013, 09:07 PM   #7
joe19934
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Glad you got it !
Thank you again so far so good, I still have a flashing red light on the dash

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.