Door locks still not working properly. HELP!!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Door locks still not working properly. HELP!!!

Dual Color LED Light Bars White/AmberFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/Bla

Unread 06-27-2004, 05:43 PM   #1
CHICHE 8
2007 WK 

Door locks still not working properly. HELP!!!

Hi All,
Friday my 97 ZJ went to the dealer for a few things. One being that my drivers door was not unlocking when I pressed unlock from the remote, and my doors were intermittently locking when I pressed the lock button from the driver's side, passenger side, and from the remote. The dealership called to say the couldn't replicate the problem, even though the doors have been acting this way consistently for 3 weeks. They said the actuator's were fine and they repaired a loose ground wire on the driver's door, but the doors are continuing to do what they did prior. I'm hoping that someone out there has a good idea as to what could be causing this problem, because it's driving me crazy. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!!!

Unread 06-27-2004, 08:17 PM   #2
900Steve

apparently it's a pretty common problem.

take my case. my passenger front door lock actuators is busted. i checked to make sure it's not a kink of the wires at the door ( a very common problem), as well as checking the voltage going to the actuator. both potential culprits checked out OK. busted actuator. . . when i hit the power lock button, the door lock just kinda budges, doesnt want to travel all the way to the locked or unlocked position.

check out the cables where they flex and go from the body to the door for a break in the circuit.

i'd say your case could be a combo of bad connection at the door, or dieing actuators. it seems like you can easily rule out any sort of relay problem almost imediately.

-steve
Unread 06-28-2004, 08:01 PM   #3
UM John

Mine has he same problem. Bugs me.
UM John is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2004, 02:44 PM   #4
CHICHE 8
2007 WK 

Update: The Jeep is going back to the dealer now, so lets hope they can duplicate what's been happening and will finally have an answer for me. Will keep you posted.
Unread 06-30-2004, 08:46 PM   #5
CHICHE 8
2007 WK 

The dealer isn't positive they know exactly what is causing the problem, but they suspect it's the door locking control module in the door(s). There is one in the drivers side door, and one in the passenger door. They said that's where they would start. So, the door locking saga continues....until my next update.
Unread 07-01-2004, 08:46 PM   #6
AZFlyingDiver

I wouldn't rule out the actuators quite yet - the older factory parts had plastic gears - easily stripped over time... so they can actually die a slow death instead of failing outright (and create that maddening "sometimes they work" syndrome... i believe Jeep now makes their actuators with metal gearing now because of this... hope this helps!
AZFlyingDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2004, 07:46 AM   #7
CHICHE 8
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZFlyingDiver
I wouldn't rule out the actuators quite yet - the older factory parts had plastic gears - easily stripped over time... so they can actually die a slow death instead of failing outright (and create that maddening "sometimes they work" syndrome... i believe Jeep now makes their actuators with metal gearing now because of this... hope this helps!
Now, it seems it's just the driver's side door. Do you think it could just be the actuator slowly dying then? Will there be a point that it will finally stop working, or will it continue to act this way? Because the dealer said the actuator was fine, but at this point I'm not relying heavily on what they say. I'm not sure the tech that looked at my Jeep the first time had a clue as to what he was looking for!!! I think there's a test light they put on the actuator, or something like that. And I'm not sure he actually did that.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.