Door locks not working right - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Door locks not working right

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineOld Man Emu WK Lift - Black Friday Special!!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 11-11-2013, 01:57 AM   #16
kirkham715
1995 ZJ 

I would still suspect broken or damaged wires in the wiring harness in either front door hinge area.
THIS IS ONE OF THE MOST COMMON PROBLEMS IN ZJ's
I have had wire damage there maybe 20 times causing speakers, door locks and windows to fail. I have even had dealers make me get new window motors and door lock actuators when the problem eventually came down to a broken, frayed or damaged wire in the door harness.
I am betting the lights dimming is coming from a short in the wires where the wire is touching a body part, sapping the current
Keep checking the wires - pull back the rubber accordion sleeve - it may be further inside the door or frame

Good luck

kirkham715 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-11-2013, 06:58 AM   #17
Kingr98
1998 ZJ 

Don't buy a new actuator. It will cost you nothing but time and a bunch of WD40.

Pull one of the door panels and pull the actuator. Clean it up with Qtips and WD40 inside and out. Work the switches back and forth and clean it some more. When you think it is clean, put it back in and try it out. If it works, be sure to lubricate it before you put the door panel back on.

And, yes, mine quit locking before it quit unlocking. If you can hear the switches trying to work, then the power is actually getting there. Also, there are only two wires going to the actuator. I think that if your doors unlock, the lock function is just a reversing of polarity.
Kingr98 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-11-2013, 07:15 AM   #18
S8NNG8
1995 XJ Cherokee 

The lock on the drivers door of my '95 XJ is getting worse. The actuator has not been able to unlock it ever since I've owned it unless you use both hands to hit the power button and push on the manual button too. But it's extremely difficult to unlock with the key too. Can the key hole unit be cleaned also?
Unread 11-11-2013, 07:28 AM   #19
ashland82391
Out of money yet...Yup!

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by S8NNG8 View Post
The lock on the drivers door of my '95 XJ is getting worse. The actuator has not been able to unlock it ever since I've owned it unless you use both hands to hit the power button and push on the manual button too. But it's extremely difficult to unlock with the key too. Can the key hole unit be cleaned also?
Spray some wd40 in the key hole. Mine wouldn't even unlock with the key and that freed it up.
ashland82391 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-11-2013, 07:31 AM   #20
S8NNG8
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashland82391 View Post

Spray some wd40 in the key hole. Mine wouldn't even unlock with the key and that freed it up.
Once I do that, is it a bad idea to blow it out with an air hose to keep things from freezing together in the cold weather?
Unread 11-11-2013, 07:42 AM   #21
ashland82391
Out of money yet...Yup!

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:

Once I do that, is it a bad idea to blow it out with an air hose to keep things from freezing together in the cold weather?
Wd40 doesn't freeze
Unread 11-11-2013, 07:47 AM   #22
S8NNG8
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashland82391 View Post

Wd40 doesn't freeze
I'll try it today and report back. Last night it took me 20+ trys to flop the lock all the way open.
Unread 11-11-2013, 08:10 AM   #23
ashland82391
Out of money yet...Yup!

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:

I'll try it today and report back. Last night it took me 20+ trys to flop the lock all the way open.
Same thing happened to mine last year. Battery ended up dying on my girlfriend. I got out there jumped it and the security system came on and doesn't go off or start until you lock and unlock the drivers door. Needless to say it wouldn't unlock. After about 10 minutes of messing with it in below freezing temps it finally unlocked. Went straight hinge and sprayed all the locks with wd40 and never had a problem again.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.