Door locks not working right - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Door locks not working right

Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft topsUp to $75 Cash Back on Your ARB Fridge Freezer Purchase

Unread 10-20-2013, 03:50 PM   #1
Malachi73
1998 ZJ 

Door locks not working right

Hi, I have a 1998 Grand Cherokee Laredo with power door locks. I just bought the Jeep and noticed that when I hit the switch to lock the doors, only the front doors lock, not the rear or hatch. Also, when I hit the unlock switch, the passenger front does not unlock, but all others unlock.

Can anyone help me with this? If you need more info, I will gladly provide it, just ask.

Thanks.

Malachi73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2013, 05:12 PM   #2
ashland82391
Out of money yet...Yup!

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Bump
ashland82391 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2013, 05:35 PM   #3
Muzramp
1997 ZJ 

I'll like to know this time. I haven't gotten around to taken apart my door
Muzramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2013, 06:02 PM   #4
xcaliber81
1994 ZJ 

Start with whags easiest and check the front door harnesses in he boots. Just pull it back enough to see if theres broken wires its the most common.
Unread 10-21-2013, 02:03 PM   #5
Malachi73
1998 ZJ 

Ok. Are you meaning to check on each door, or just the driver door?
Unread 10-21-2013, 02:14 PM   #6
V65Ozzie
1998 ZJ 

I've noticed my drivers door doesn't always lock, it's the ignition switch, because when I wiggle it, the lock starts to work again, but, thats only my drivers door. I can also remove my key in the run position, so I'm pretty sure it's worn out.
Unread 10-21-2013, 07:16 PM   #7
xcaliber81
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malachi73 View Post
Ok. Are you meaning to check on each door, or just the driver door?
Both front doors. They get used the most.
Unread 10-21-2013, 07:18 PM   #8
xcaliber81
1994 ZJ 

96+ has a door lock module that would probably be the next culprit after a broken wire.
Unread 10-27-2013, 08:53 PM   #9
Malachi73
1998 ZJ 

Ok, I've checked both front doors harnesses and cannot find any broken wires.

I also noticed two things.

1) At night, if I press the door lock switch, my head lights and instrument panel lights dim quite a bit. Is that normal?

2) I can lock and unlock the right front door by pressing the lock switch, but as I was messing with it to see why the back doors were not working I noticed that if I kept pressing the switch several times back and forth, the right front would get weaker and weaker till it just quit working altogether, until I let it sit a few minutes, then it would start working again, almost like something was over heating.

Any thoughts?
Unread 11-07-2013, 07:59 PM   #10
Malachi73
1998 ZJ 

Anybody?
Unread 11-07-2013, 09:24 PM   #11
xcaliber81
1994 ZJ 

maybe a bad switch or the actuator itself? would be my guess if the wiring is in good working order, the 96-98 have door lock modules could be any one of those.
Unread 11-08-2013, 07:39 AM   #12
Kingr98
1998 ZJ 

Is your battery fully charged?

Do you door locks make any sound when you try to unlock them? Could be seized up actuators. If you can hear a sound like the lock is trying to open, the it will not be a wiring issue.

Have you taken a door panel off to watch it as you hit the switch to physically see if the is any movement?
Kingr98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2013, 06:29 AM   #13
Malachi73
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingr98 View Post
Is your battery fully charged?

Do you door locks make any sound when you try to unlock them? Could be seized up actuators. If you can hear a sound like the lock is trying to open, the it will not be a wiring issue.

Have you taken a door panel off to watch it as you hit the switch to physically see if the is any movement?
I have not removed a door panel to look at the actuators. I just figured since they will unlock with the power switch, but not lock, then actuators must be good and it must be some other problem. Do you think the actuators could be bad only for the lock position?

Actually, I recently noticed that the back hatch will indeed make a noise when locking that sounds like it's trying to lock. So, maybe they can freeze up only in one position.

I'll try popping a door panel off this week.

Thank you for the suggestion, I never thought if it.
Unread 11-10-2013, 06:45 AM   #14
Malachi73
1998 ZJ 

Also, yes, my battery is fully charged.
Unread 11-10-2013, 10:42 AM   #15
xcaliber81
1994 ZJ 

Ive been bealing with the fact that my drivers side door locks do not work and theres a bucket list of things ive replaced so in getting my dad to take a look at it when hes not busy cause its a bed wire or two somewhere.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.