Door Locks not all working. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Door Locks not all working.

Labor Day Sale!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 02-17-2013, 10:05 AM   #1
minimika2008
1998 ZJ 

Door Locks not all working.

Well, my jeep is at it again...new week, new problem, haha sooo... I had my keyless entry programmed at the beginning of this week...LOVE it by the way! Makes getting the kid in the jeep so much simpler! My jeep has always had this problem...I thought it was a loose connection, but it turns out its not and i'd like to fix it now so my keyless entry works the way its meant to...When using the keyless entry, or the button for the locks on the driver or passenger door not all my doors unlock and lock every time. Its only my doors on the drivers side of the jeep. My passenger side doors always work! It also seems when its real cold outside they always work...i know that seems odd...The guy at the stealership that programmed it asked if it made the "buzzing noise" when it didnt lock and it told him yes...he then didnt tell me what the deal was...and i didnt pursue it assuming it was a loose connection...but it's not Any help guys? Id highly appreciate it!

minimika2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2013, 08:13 PM   #2
minimika2008
1998 ZJ 

Come on guys LOL. I'd love a fix. I don't think its my door actuators since they work sometimes?? Also my seatbelt chime doesn't work if that helps any...as I was reading a post to a similar problem...
Unread 02-17-2013, 09:04 PM   #3
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

The door lock motors wear out after a while. Try this, sit in the seat and lock the doors with the fob while keeping your finger on the manual latch inside. Does the motor pull the latch with a little help? If so, the motor is weak. Drivers door is usually the first to go.
ZeeJay1997 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2013, 09:07 PM   #4
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

That is odd since most the time weak/bad door lock actuators tend to not work as it gets colder rather than just the opposite. So have you physically checked the connections on the main door control on the drivers door along with the connection on the actuator itself on that door and the rear drivers door?

Have you tried spraying any lubricant in the actuators themselves like WD-40 or another thin rust cutter to loosen them up? I normally use spray white grease but in cold weather it may be a little too thick. You can spray lubricant through the holes in the side of the door panel as well as into the locking mechanism itself. Also hit the linkage where the nylon bushings are.

It seemed like my drivers door actuator was the 1st to go and now I'm having problems with the rear passenger door actuator which needs replaced. It will unlock most of the time but won't hardly ever lock. This is a real pain since I have to look back to see if it's locked or not and then physically lock it. When the actuator doesn't work you can hear the actuator gear making a "spinning" noise in there and it won't engage the lock.

I've also used a multimeter to check and make sure the control buttons are actually sending a signal through the wiring to the actuator plugs. Good luck.

-Stalling ZJ? 12 things to check before replacing a sensor; the Dirty Dozen
-Crankshaft position sensor multimeter test. & video of testing.
Uniblurb is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2013, 09:22 PM   #5
minimika2008
1998 ZJ 

Thank you guys! I didnt try spraying any kind of lubricant...I dont tend to do things like that in fear im going to short something out unless i know its ok so im going to try that tomorrow! Yea I the only connection I checked was the main one in the drivers door going to the buttons...and the same for the rear door on the drivers side...the morning they programmed the fob it was 20 degrees and the fob worked all day until it hit 50 outside...and always works in the morning until it hits about 50 and then it doesnt work anymore...are the motors pretty expensive if i need to replace them and do i have to go to the dealer? and Zeejay I will try that in the morning and see how that goes!!! Thanks so much for this guys!!! Im determined to figure this one out...I want my fob to be fully functional...Im only in love with the passenger side of my jeep currently haha!
Unread 02-17-2013, 09:27 PM   #6
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

Surefire fix. Always have a passenger to get in and unlock the door for you.
Unread 02-17-2013, 09:37 PM   #7
willman611
1997 ZJ 

had the same problem with 2 of my previous zjs. sometimes they would lock and sometimes they wouldnt and same for unlocking. replaced the actuator in each door that was doing this and problem was solved. As much as i hate to say it, you can look on ebay for the actuators because thats where i got mine at the time. But if it was me, i would just replace the drivers door and tell people to get in on the passenger side.
willman611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2013, 09:41 PM   #8
minimika2008
1998 ZJ 

Yea I moved my sons booster seat to the passenger side and he likes to unlock my door for me before I get to my side but he can be slower than using a key sometimes haha and he likes to turn on my dome lights..ill let you guys know what I figure out!
Unread 02-17-2013, 09:48 PM   #9
dylantheheeler
1996 ZJ 

Sometimes the old grease on the linkages gums up the operation. May just need some penetrating oil. I just bought new universal actuators off eBay and put them in. Works every time now.
Unread 02-17-2013, 09:50 PM   #10
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dylantheheeler View Post
I just bought new universal actuators off eBay and put them in. Works every time now.
What brand are they?
Unread 02-17-2013, 10:03 PM   #11
dylantheheeler
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeeJay1997

What brand are they?
These are the ones i bought. Bought 4 an did all the doors but the hatch so I hopefully won't ever have to worry about it again.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/230780411788?redirect=mobile
Unread 02-18-2013, 12:55 AM   #12
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by minimika2008 View Post
Thank you guys! I didnt try spraying any kind of lubricant...I dont tend to do things like that in fear im going to short something out unless i know its ok so im going to try that tomorrow! Yea I the only connection I checked was the main one in the drivers door going to the buttons...and the same for the rear door on the drivers side...the morning they programmed the fob it was 20 degrees and the fob worked all day until it hit 50 outside...and always works in the morning until it hits about 50 and then it doesnt work anymore...are the motors pretty expensive if i need to replace them and do i have to go to the dealer? and Zeejay I will try that in the morning and see how that goes!!! Thanks so much for this guys!!! Im determined to figure this one out...I want my fob to be fully functional...Im only in love with the passenger side of my jeep currently haha!
Don't worry about spraying any thin lubricant in there and you won't short anything out.

Yeah, the door lock actuators are real expensive if you go with OE/Mopar. Believe a lot of aftermarket companies aren't even making them anymore and they're starting with years 1999 and up. Real difficult to find aftermarket ones in a search and most just carry the liftgate actuator. I couldn't even find door ones on the Dorman website.

I didn't replace the right rear door actuator on my 96 since the dealer wanted $125 for a Mopar. Prices for Mopar are even higher on ebay unless you want used which is a crap-shoot.

Cheapest I found a driverside front door Mopar actuator for your 98 was on Mopar-wholesale online and still it was $101.31 plus shipping. And somebody will need to use the 98 parts list to give the correct OE part number for both left doors on your ZJ. The OE number for the left front one I saw was 4798915AC but not sure if this is correct and couldn't find the left rear door actuator.

Actually I believe the part numbers on the Chrysler parts list have been superseded with new numbers. Kind of odd in my 94-96 parts list the front passenger side door is listed in the DZJ section under "Door, front lock, ZJ body" as "Latch, Door - 4798914-5, electric" in the diagram (DZJ-130). Then they list the rear door latch as # 4798 916-7 w/power locks. The diagrams only show the passenger side doors so I'm not sure if both front doors are the same OE number as well as the back ones being the same?

In doing some searches it looks like the door actuators are the same for 93-98 ZJ's but can't be sure about this. If I remember correctly this may not be correct according to the parts guy at the dealer I know.

I may just have to make a trip to the junkyard and take my chances in replacing my right rear one. Unless somebody searches out better prices than I could. Good luck.

Unread 02-18-2013, 05:16 PM   #13
BeDifferent
1995 ZJ 

sounds like a trip to the yard to pick up one or two From the Passenger Side, and put then one driver side?? or are they "R" & "L" ?

it really is a pain when the driver rear door locks / unlocks SOMETIMES but Not Every time... Not Most of the time,

So all we need to do is; remove door pannel, clean link joints, check and lube moving parts, -- I am for that first, did that on rear wiper, just penetrate oiled the shaft / repeatedly / got it working and lubed it // keep it lubed & it will keep working.
Unread 02-18-2013, 05:52 PM   #14
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

Like I said, I don't know if there's left or right and someone with the 98 parts list will have to look that up. When I ordered the front drivers door Mopar actuator I told the dealer parts guy exactly which door it was going on.

Before I replaced mine I removed it and tore it apart. Probably not the best move since had a spring fly out and kinda hard to get back together. Another thing is you are almost removing/installing the actuator blind since once you get your hand clear up in there to flip the plastic/nylon catches off the linkage rods to remove the rods themselves you can't see anything. Believe if I remember correctly I could flip some of the catches off the rods with a long screwdriver.

If you're going to take the door panel off it's best to spray the linkage joints with spray white lithium grease. I also noticed some friction on the manual button you move back/forth and sprayed the back of that too. Then you can just shoot some spray penetrating oil in every place you can on the actuator/latch itself but wouldn't spray it directly in the plug socket. You should make sure the male/female plug connector is clean/free of corrosion and use spray electric contact cleaner on them.

If you end up going to a jy I'd just remove the actuators from the same doors you're having problems with.

Unread 02-18-2013, 09:46 PM   #15
Smokey1r
1997 ZJ 

The door latches are drivers and passenger side specific, Ive replaced the latches in the jeep i drive from a 98 ZJ in a bone yard in Wyoming i was visiting with a friend back in September, tore them apart and rebuilt getting all the sand and dust out of them and they work perfectly. And yes those 2 springs can be a pain in the butt but its worth it to re grease and rebuild, nice and smooth, most of all works perfectly now! no more locking or unlocking sometimes!. and not all that difficult to replace either even with my big hands lol!!!!!
Smokey1r is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.