door lock/actuator install? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > door lock/actuator install?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank Skid

Unread 01-08-2005, 05:53 PM   #1
spr

door lock/actuator install?

I just recieved what appears to be the entire door jam lock which also contains the actuator in it. Is this the correct part for a 1994 jeep grand cherokee laredo? I thought it was just an actuator in the door? If it is correct what is the best way to install it? I believe there was a post about this earlier but I tried to search and found nothing relevant. Please help, I want to put it in asap! thanks guys, Sean

PS I got the parts for the ATC to install but the guy cut the wiring harness and ommited some other wiring harness parts, I am half interested in just saying screw it and not installing it and putting all the stuff on ebay, since school is starting again on Monday.

spr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2005, 12:39 PM   #2
Stocker

I replaced the RR actuator in my '95, likely similar to your '94, and it was as you describe. Remove the door panel and it's pretty easy to figure out. The actuator should come with basic instructions. You'll need a phillips screwdriver and a torx driver, and maybe a small allen wrench for adjustment. There are 3 plastic clips which hold the rods in place - they can be a bit fiddly but it's really a pretty simple job.
Unread 01-09-2005, 04:07 PM   #3
spr

cool I just didn't know if it was the one which was the entire door jam lock assembly in the manual I have it shows just an acutator in the door but I guess that is for another model?
Unread 01-11-2005, 09:50 AM   #4
spr

Hey I just noticed that the door lock is randomly working now??? Any ideas for the intermittency and how to fix it? All the other locks work fine it is just the drivers lock that wasn't working but now does HELP. I bought a lock to replace it but it would appear that isn't the problem?
Unread 01-11-2005, 02:43 PM   #5
spr

yeah I never really thought about the issue being at the switch because it has the same problem of working the actuator when the alarm doesn't make it operate as well. This would be therefore an intermittency with the wiring somewhere. Earlier, before I actually bought the actuator/lock, I wiggled the wiring in the door to no avail. Where is the weakpoint of the wiring or where have others found the problem to lie again??? thanks.
Unread 01-12-2005, 07:05 AM   #6
Stocker

If it isn't the actuator or the switch, it may be the wiring at the driver's door jamb connector. Pull back the rubber boot and look for frayed/broken wires. It's a common problem area that can also affect power windows.
Unread 01-13-2005, 02:21 PM   #7
spr

Well during my wait for the actuator to stop working to better find out if the wiring is the culprit or the actuator itself, The actuator or combo is not intermittent. Has anyone both experienced and rectified such indication? I know it could be either but I would rather know what the probabilities are, (if I have to tear open the door, or chase wiring under the dash????) thanks. sean
Unread 02-13-2005, 01:45 PM   #8
spr

I installed the one I received and the actuator part works and I hooked up all of the levers but the door will not close. It appears from the wear however that the donor was hit in this area as the plastic portion is not allowing the door lock part to move freely and close etc. I Bought it from that Ray guy on the boards and am Still waiting for a replacement. It has been a few weeks! Since the door won't close I have to drive my gf to school!!!! This sucks!
BTW I did try that adjustment in the door all the way both ways and it didn't have any effect as the jam plastic itself is bad.
I need my new latch!!!!!!!
Unread 02-13-2005, 01:59 PM   #9
Stocker

IIRC, there is a small allen screw adjustment on the latch assembly... with any luck, that may be your problem. I think the basic instruction that comes with the actuator shows it...

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.