Door latch repair kit? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Door latch repair kit?

Steering and more from Ruffstuff!Ruffstuff 3 Link Kit!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 01-12-2008, 02:44 PM   #1
agtpony

Door latch repair kit?

I have owned three Jeep grand Cherokee's over last five years and all three jeeps I've had similar problems with the drivers side door latch, the sheet metal around the door cracks until eventually the latch will no longer work, does anyone make a plate that will strengthen this area?

And how easy is it to replace the door hinge pins? Because I know the dropping of the door is the problem,

I've already done the junkyard door thing to my other jeeps, but I would rather find a way of repairing the doors I have. The metal is too thin to weld very good.

Suggestions?

agtpony is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-12-2008, 03:08 PM   #2
_Kyle_
2008 WK 

Replacing the pins is really easy. Just unbolt the door and set it down carefully to protect it so you can work on it. Grind out the heads of the old pins and then knock them out and then remove the old worn out bushing. The, put in the new pins (napa or any auto place should have them). If you get the "older" style replacement pin that lacks C-clips, I put a dab of JB Weld on them to keep them from falling out - you will see what I mean about that because you have to put them in upside down. Then, rebolt on the door and adjust it to make sure it latches properly.

Here is the write up.

1996 Grand Cherokee

RIP Troy (bigbluezj94)

1996 ZJ FOR SALE
_Kyle_ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-06-2013, 07:04 PM   #3
95GC_Fred
1995 ZJ 

Door Panel Patch Plate for drivers or passenger side

Yes, 5 years later November 2013 , I created a CAD DXF file that you can give to a CNC plasma cutter machine to create a Door Latch Panel Patch Plate to MIG weld over the existing cracked and broken thin sheet door metal. Use 16 gauge sheet steel and counter sink the 3 T-30 Torx screw holes to match the side you are placing the patch on (left or right side). PM with your questions. This Patch Panel allowed me to keep using my present door. Yes I replaced the door's lower hinge pin with Doorman Products Part 38422. 38423 is the upper hinge pin replacement part that has a groove and a C-clip for mounting the pin upside down.

Doorman Hinge Pin 38422

Fabrication Forum CAD Files and Pictures

and

More Pictures and the DXF and PDF files
95GC_Fred is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.