Door Hinge Pin Replacement - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Door Hinge Pin Replacement

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 01-10-2008, 08:18 PM   #1
Vestjam

2008 JK Wrangler 

Door Hinge Pin Replacement

This is my first 'write-up' with photos, so I hope it actually works.

I finally got tired of my slightly sagging front drivers door and decided to replace both the upper and lower hinge pins on my 95ZJ.
It really wasn't a difficult process, it just took some time. I would say that two hours would be plenty start to finish.

You'll need a few items before you start:
1. Replacement Hinge Pins. I got mine from Advance Auto.

2. 9MM socket with socket wrench for the four bolts that hold the door to the Jeep.
3. Possibly a small Torx bit (not sure on the size) I believe it would depend on the year on your vehicle if you would even need one or not. This is for the electrical connection hub on the door.
4. A dremel type tool with a cut-off attachment to cut the old hinge pins out. Some have suggested a chisel for the hinge pin heads. I had zero luck with that option.
5. A base of some type to rest the door on while removing the bolts holding the door.
6. A work are big enough to rest a door on it's side. I used the bed of a pickup parked near the Jeep, but a couple of saw horses with a blanket over the top will work.
7. Some lithium grease to lubricate the new pins after you put them in.

I first opened the door and then slid the rubber boot back that contains the electrical wireing. There is not much room in there at all. In the middle of that black plastic connection is a bolt that takes a small torx bit. Again, I'm not sure of the size. I used the torx bit fitted to the end of a 1/4" closed end wrench ( about 4" long). The wrench was used to turn the torx bit while I kept finger pressure towards the plastic wire assembly. This will take a couple of minutes to undo the screw. You'll know you are making progress when you see the plastic assembly start to pull away from the door.

Once that is complete, you'll need to support the outer edge of the door with something. I used a bucket with a folded towel.

Now you can remove the bolts that hold the door in place. I loosened all the bolts (4) a few turns first. I then removed one from the top and bottom. I removed the other bottom one and then the top one last. As I removed the last top one, I started to hold onto the door to give it a little more support. If it sags too much, the bolt will start to bind. The door is heavier than I though it would be.

Now that the door is off, set it in your predesignated work area. I attempted to knock the top of the heads off the hinge pins (15 minutes with no noticable success). I moved to grinding them off (about the same results). I then got out the dremel tool and used a 1 1/4" cut off wheel and cut through the pin in about 1 minute. The angle will be important to avoid hitting the hinge and to allow clearance to get entirely through the pin.

Once you cut through, knock both sides of the pin out and slide the loose hinge out. Remove the old steel rings and rubber reinforced sleeve from the hinge (If there is any left).

Open the new hinge replacement and slide in the brass sleeves. They go in from the top and bottom. I used a pliers to get them started and then just tapped them in the rest of the way.

You may choose to put a little bit of grease on the brass sleeves and hinge pin before you slide it back into the door slot. For the top hinge, you will have to put the pin in from the bottom. Once it was in as far as I could push it, I used a hammer to seat it the rest of the way. Since there was no lock ring for the top of the pin, Iím hoping the knurling at the head of the hinge pin will hold it. The bottom hinge will go straight down so there should be no need to worry about it backing out.

Put the door back on and reconnect the electrical. Thatís it...

1998 Jeep Cherokee Sport
4.0L/AW4, Yakima Roof Rack
Vestjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2008, 08:56 PM   #2
Darthteddy
1955 M-38 

Good write up....Im gonna be doing this in a few days. As soon as i weld the other end of my door back together. . . Long story.

And a fix for the top pin comming out. . .
Advance Auto Part #38423. . .Its the same size, but has a c clip at the top of it to keep it in place. I think it even comes with 2 in a pack for the same price if i recall correctly.
55 Willy's M38a1 - 231v6, 33" Super Swampers, D44 Full Floater Rear, Locked Front and Rear, 5.38 Gears, Viair OBA, Bilsteen 5100 shocks, Dana 18, Turbo 350, S10 Power Steering, Tilt-wheel, Full Cage, Flat Fenders....
Darthteddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2008, 04:53 AM   #3
Nurburgringer
1998 ZJ 

excellent, thanks! I'll also be doing this soon, the driver's door on my 143k ZJ opens and closes like an old barn door.... have the Dorman pin kits just need to find the time. Good to know that you don't have to remove the door panel like another write-up mentioned.

Did you have any problem with door alignment? You didn't mark the orginal pin locations, or did you?

cheers
Kurt
Nurburgringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2008, 04:55 PM   #4
Vestjam

2008 JK Wrangler 

I had no alignment problems at all. It litterally just bolted back on and everything matched.

1998 Jeep Cherokee Sport
4.0L/AW4, Yakima Roof Rack
Vestjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2008, 05:26 PM   #5
FortCollinsZJ
1993 ZJ 

Nice writeup. I was going to do this, but Nappa said they couldnt get any pins for me. I guess I'll be going to Advance.
FortCollinsZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2008, 06:23 PM   #6
Yardman Harry
O

1996 ZJ 

Hunter has this in the FAQs already, maybe he can join these two, since his doesnt have pics.

Harry

1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Ed. I6 - 4.0 litre, 4" SL, D44 rear, 4:56 Gears, AA SYE with double cardon custom rear Drive Shaft, IRO Adj CAs, Kevins Rear Adj TB with JOHNNY JOINT end

1999 Mazda Miata MX5 - Jet Black

1990 Jeep Cherokee Sport I6 - 4.0 litre
White
~Junked~
Yardman Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2008, 10:27 PM   #7
Darthteddy
1955 M-38 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FortCollinsZJ
Nice writeup. I was going to do this, but Nappa said they couldnt get any pins for me. I guess I'll be going to Advance.

Advance Auto Parts Help Section Part Numbers

38422 - The ones in this thread, no C clip
38423 - Same size as the ones in this thread, but with a C Clip for the top To hold the top hinges pin in.
55 Willy's M38a1 - 231v6, 33" Super Swampers, D44 Full Floater Rear, Locked Front and Rear, 5.38 Gears, Viair OBA, Bilsteen 5100 shocks, Dana 18, Turbo 350, S10 Power Steering, Tilt-wheel, Full Cage, Flat Fenders....
Unread 01-11-2008, 11:12 PM   #8
_Kyle_
2008 WK 

I did the one without the C-clip (got it cheap from RockAuto) and I just put a dab of JB Weld on top of it to hold it in for good.

1996 Grand Cherokee

RIP Troy (bigbluezj94)

1996 ZJ FOR SALE
_Kyle_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2008, 04:48 PM   #9
FortCollinsZJ
1993 ZJ 

ok, I just got the 38423, and the two pins are different sizes... so do I need another pack, or should I get 38422 also?
Unread 01-12-2008, 06:28 PM   #10
FortCollinsZJ
1993 ZJ 

C'mon! I want to get this done tonight! does anybody know? Anybody?
Unread 01-12-2008, 07:58 PM   #11
FortCollinsZJ
1993 ZJ 

Nevermind, I just went ahead and took it off to find out. It needs 2 of the bigger pins, so for the record thats 2 of the #38423
Unread 01-12-2008, 09:40 PM   #12
Darthteddy
1955 M-38 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FortCollinsZJ
Nevermind, I just went ahead and took it off to find out. It needs 2 of the bigger pins, so for the record thats 2 of the #38423
Whoops...Forgot to mention that. It comes to the same price as using the other ones as well. The other pack has one pin for the same (i actually think it was a little more) as the 2 C clip pins in the 38423
Unread 07-14-2008, 07:50 PM   #13
kailuacherokee
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Nice post. Do you know if those pins will work on a 96 cherokee?
kailuacherokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2008, 09:00 PM   #14
tirus89
1993 ZJ 

Pretty sure the pins will work, if not, just ask the people at the autoparts store.

//93 ZJ//5.2L//NP249//K&N Fipk Gen II//2" BB w/BD AT Shocks//4.10's//31" Cooper Discovery STT's//Cstm Frnt Bmpr//Custom Rear Tube Bmpr//3" Magnaflow exhaust w/high flow cat//500RMS Pioneer Amp//600RMS 12" JL Audio Sub//
tirus89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2008, 04:13 AM   #15
ibskunk
1998 ZJ 

i am gonna do this this is much cheeper than new hinges thanks for the info
ibskunk is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.