Done With K&N Crap - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Done With K&N Crap

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wJeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at BaselinRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 10-17-2006, 07:24 AM   #1
wjs81866

Done With K&N Crap

Well there have been things I have done to my Jeep that worked out really well or were a non-issue and just worked as they were advertised, and then there are those things that are nothing short of a nightmare.

My K&N FIPK has given me nothing but trouble since I bought it; first off I spent a lot of money but thought it was worth it. (I bought into the hype) secondly I thought the thing would provide more power etc but at most it really just makes noise (Which is ok) but I have had it on my 96 5.2 and now my 98 5.9 and it just doesn't measure up to all the hype. Of course there is the filter testing that has been done and if anyone has seen the outcome to that you have to admit it makes you think maybe it wasn't such a great upgrade. In theory it should be a good upgrade but they make claims that just don't hold water. The filter is not a good filtering unit; I'll go as far as to say it's generally bad as far as filtering dirt. The plastic tube is just a piece of junk that may have been designed well but the quality of their manufacturing isn't worth the money to say the least. My first tube was not molded correctly and rubbed the hood liner really bad; they all do to some degree or another but this was because it was a bad mold. You could see how it was off. The replacement they sent had an issue with the ring that slips over the Intake; it was loose but it mounted so I ignored it. The other day I'm changing out the cap and rotor (Those of you with 5.2's or 5.9's know this is a pain to do)
I removed the tube to get a better angle on removing the cap; when I go to re-install the tube I see the ring is completely loose and part is out of the molding. So I try for the better part of an hour to get that band back up into it's place and it's impossible. It's like putting a square peg in a round hole! Since I have no other vehicle I have to make this work somehow; so I pull the band out and re-install it upside down. Sounds strange but it did work; although I'm sure it's not a tight seal. Truthfully it never really did seal completely in my mind anyways but now it's worse. Also there were a couple places where the band mounts inside the tube where plastic had obviously broken away; I can only guess that it's now in my intake somewhere? All this and what I paid? You would think you should expect more; charge me what you will but at least give me a quality product. It's my choice to spend the money or not.

So I contact a guy named Thomas Walden at K&N; this is the same guy that sent me the first replacement. I have tried and tried to get a hold of him and can't get a reply from him or customer service; when I call I get a voice mail or someone who will have him return my call. So basically I have nothing.

I will not own another K&N product; too expensive and it doesn't filter anywhere near like they claim it does. On top of that to add insult to injury their quality isn't there. I take care of what I have; I didn't throw it around the yard and blame them for my mistake. This is a quality issue they are very aware of. The first thing Thomas asked me when I called him about the first tube was if it was the band; he told me that they are having a lot of issues with it coming loose. Strangely my first one was locked in there tight.

If anyone is using this I would check it; even if you think it's ok. When the band comes loose from the plastic there will be plastic that will break off and go right into the intake.

I'm seriously thinking about going back to the original filter box; I really haven't seen any intakes that are worth the money they want for them. Plus I feel stupid paying $250-300 for one of these and truth be known it's probably not helping my engine as far as filtering anyways.

Quadra Trac 2
Lux Group 2
20" tires and rims
Towing package

2) 2011 Grand Cherokee Laredo X
Blackberry Pearl
5.7L
Quadra Drive 2
Quadra Lift
Laredo X Group 25 package
Chrome Fogs and Mirrors
Off-Road Adventure II Package
P265/60R18 Michelin LTX M/S 2's
BWoody 4" Velocity Intake
wjs81866 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-17-2006, 07:54 AM   #2
j.love
1994 ZJ 

Good post there, I sympathize with your situation. I was thinking of doing this upgrade and now I am concidering not doing it.

I have the "drop in" style K&N and it seems to be fine. while I dont have the sound thing I assume It still has an increase in flow over the paper style filters.
Originally Posted by ratmonkey View Post
I wouldn't drive down a driveway on that.
''If we do everything right, if we do it with absolute certainty, there's still a 30% chance we're going to get it wrong.''
Joe Biden
j.love is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-17-2006, 08:00 AM   #3
wjs81866

The air flow isn't as much as they want you to think, plus no matter if it's a drop in or the kit the filter is the same media. (Cotton) The AEM Brute Force uses a different "Non oiled filter" but I just don't see it worth spending $300 for some marginal at best increase in HP. Honestly I think my MPG has gone down not up.
Quadra Trac 2
Lux Group 2
20" tires and rims
Towing package

2) 2011 Grand Cherokee Laredo X
Blackberry Pearl
5.7L
Quadra Drive 2
Quadra Lift
Laredo X Group 25 package
Chrome Fogs and Mirrors
Off-Road Adventure II Package
P265/60R18 Michelin LTX M/S 2's
BWoody 4" Velocity Intake
wjs81866 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-17-2006, 08:07 AM   #4
greasefingers
1994 ZJ 

I am not a fan of K&N products.

94 Black Laredo 4-Liter with QuadraTrac (42RE trans & NP249 TC) 200,000 + miles purchased new

88 Cherokee 2-door with 5speed manual 139K miles(deceased) purchased new
greasefingers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-17-2006, 09:32 AM   #5
BlaineWasHere
BecauseRacecar

I bought a used FIPK and it has been fine. I did not buy it for MORE POWER becuase I knew that I would not see a power increase at all. I bought it second hand so it was not a big hit in the wallet but I really got it to free up room in the engine bay so I can relocate the washer fluid bottle. But so far no complatnts...
Unread 10-17-2006, 09:36 AM   #6
ArloGuthroJeep
Mr. Hyde!

2004 WJ 

The ZJ V8's seem to have chronic problems with them - haven't heard of quality issues from their other setups. Mine has been good and necessary for room in the engine bay.
Unread 10-17-2006, 10:07 AM   #7
99redwj
1999 WJ 

Hey i bought a volant air intake for my 4.7 and they dont give much power but it does make it sound much better but i got mine from AutoAnything.com and i payed some thing like $250 and it does make it feel more"peppy" IMO but not much power though
Matthew
2006 5.7 Grand Cherokee
2003 4.0 Wrangler
4" Pro-comp lift,33x12.50x15 Pro-Comp MT,Warn bumper,American racing AR-172,Piaa fogs
99redwj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-17-2006, 11:13 AM   #8
Double E
2000 Laredo V8

2000 WJ 

Ditch that stuff & get a TORNADO!!!! (JK)
Changes & fixes: Rear Addco sway bar & greasble bushings, upgraded headlights, upgraded tail lights, new hood struts (replaced 2X), new rear hatchglass struts, new radiator (replaced 3X), new oil pressure sending unit (replaced 4X), 2 new speed sensors, 2 new door lock actuators, new ignition key cylinder, chrome front tow hooks, Mobil 1 Synthetic 5/30, Purolator Pure One oil filter, EBC slotted & dimpled rotors, EBC Greenstuff pads, new front shocks (replaced 3X), new rear shocks (replaced 2X), new IRO steering stabilizer, new timing chain cover, new water pump, thermostat, new thermostat housing, new high pressure power steering hose, Michelin-X radials, new sunroof assembly, new single-piece lug nuts, new exhaust manifold studs & gasket on driver's side, new Durango alternator. Jeepforum.com sticker, Visit cobaltboatsforum.com when you can!
Double E is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-17-2006, 01:48 PM   #9
bsmotorsports

the kn fipk works fine on mine. Im not saying it gives extra power, but it looks good, frees up room, and has never had a problem with fitment. Mine slides right over perfect, and seals up tight.
bsmotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-17-2006, 02:18 PM   #10
CJtoWJ
2004 WJ 

Have the drop-in K&N filter, maintenance instructions specify washing the filter in K&N filter cleaning solution. Is there an alternative to this, an off the shelf cleaner or solvent, that works just as well?
94 Cherokee
04 G-Cherokee
CJtoWJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-17-2006, 02:43 PM   #11
Texas ZJ1
Jeep Jedi Master

1994 ZJ 

My turbo city dual air intake works like a champ.

Hunter

94 5.9 Laredo 6.5 RE lift with 35 Maxxis Bighorns
and 33 Bridgestone Duelers
Detroit and true trac
Red Jeep Club Member
REDNECK JCM
Texas Jeep Owner #6
USN Jeep Club #4
http://www.kevinsoffroad.com/

For your performance needs:

kolak@kolakperformance.com
Texas ZJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-17-2006, 03:28 PM   #12
///BHRpowered

A common mistake is people think its actually going to give you power, and more then that, power your going to feel. Not true, for the most part its just a sound, but its a cool sound. It does give you SOME power, but you won't feel it, I think its about 13hp max I'v seen advertised from non honda lovers/realists. So 13 horsepower over 235 dollars (going price on ebay) is about 18 dollars per 1hp. Now lets say you pay 4500 for a supercharger that adds 110hp, your now spending 41 dollars per hp.

But you would feel the S/C and love it

Moral of the story. Its actually much more finanicial feasible, plus it looks and sounds great, and you never need to buy another filter. I'm sick of people complaining. Research for yourself, if your going to let other people decide how you live your life, spend your money, and when to take a s*** then you deserved to be screwed. (even when your getting the best bang for the buck)

[url=http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2370949]2000 Millenia S...Five figure spending account[/url]
[url=http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2384051]1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee...Gone but never forgotton[/url]
[url=http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2383985]2003 BMW M3 SMG...For Sale, PM if interested[/url]
[url=http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2484240]2000 "Jeep Grand Cherokee...4.7, Quadra-Drive, Loaded.[/url]
"A dark and bitter chill fills the air. once thriving life wallows away into ash as he slithers past, the very stars themselfs part to make way for his haunting, yet oddly claim arrival. Bhr approaches." - Hatter

"But i have to say, BHR's rants go hand in hand with moring coffee to get my day started - RXL"

Admin - [url]http://www.mazdaworld.net[/url]
///BHRpowered is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-17-2006, 04:02 PM   #13
eagleknight
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///BHRpowered
A common mistake is people think its actually going to give you power, and more then that, power your going to feel. Not true, for the most part its just a sound, but its a cool sound. It does give you SOME power, but you won't feel it, I think its about 13hp max I'v seen advertised from non honda lovers/realists. So 13 horsepower over 235 dollars (going price on ebay) is about 18 dollars per 1hp. Now lets say you pay 4500 for a supercharger that adds 110hp, your now spending 41 dollars per hp.

But you would feel the S/C and love it

Moral of the story. Its actually much more finanicial feasible, plus it looks and sounds great, and you never need to buy another filter. I'm sick of people complaining. Research for yourself, if your going to let other people decide how you live your life, spend your money, and when to take a s*** then you deserved to be screwed. (even when your getting the best bang for the buck)
Exactly what I was thinking. I did the FIPK upgrade and complete exhaust with headers all at the same time. I felt the extra power. It maybe isn't a bunch, but i can tell it is there. If you watch any of the car shows on TV the #1 thing to do for extra power is upgrade your intake and exhaust because it has the best hp to money ratio.

Current mods:
K&N Intake, Thorley header, Magna flow cat, Flowmaster muffler.
eagleknight is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-17-2006, 04:04 PM   #14
///BHRpowered

Its also more of a beginnier mod,once the car has the ability to breath better at its foremost entry and exit point, you can start to work on everything in between.

[url=http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2370949]2000 Millenia S...Five figure spending account[/url]
[url=http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2384051]1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee...Gone but never forgotton[/url]
[url=http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2383985]2003 BMW M3 SMG...For Sale, PM if interested[/url]
[url=http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2484240]2000 "Jeep Grand Cherokee...4.7, Quadra-Drive, Loaded.[/url]
"A dark and bitter chill fills the air. once thriving life wallows away into ash as he slithers past, the very stars themselfs part to make way for his haunting, yet oddly claim arrival. Bhr approaches." - Hatter

"But i have to say, BHR's rants go hand in hand with moring coffee to get my day started - RXL"

Admin - [url]http://www.mazdaworld.net[/url]
///BHRpowered is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.