doing 247/242 swap....need advice on front output shaft swap.. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > doing 247/242 swap....need advice on front output shaft swap..

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineDan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!GEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 12-30-2009, 06:13 PM   #1
krazyteggy
2000 WJ 

doing 247/242 swap....need advice on front output shaft swap..

So I am doing the 247-242 swap on my 00 Grand cherokee limited tomorrow and I have decided to leave my front output shaft as a "CV" joint style shaft. I know I have to swap the output shaft from the 247 to the 242 and I am fairly new to T-case swaps and would like to get it right the first time......has anyone ever come across a post on a tear down of the 242 or the actual swap of the output shafts?? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have found threads floating around here on the t-case swap and I have all the necessary tools to do so....just unsure when I break open the cases......or do I even have to??? PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!

krazyteggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2009, 06:21 PM   #2
cmonson

Why are you swapping the output shafts??? Just find a 242HD out of a 99-04 with a V8 (assuming your LTD is a V8) and you will be in for a direct swap.

Remember to change the linkage location to the other hole though.

Also, search this board as it gets posted all of the time and most people that know the info won't bother posting b.c they get tired of the same questions over and over.
cmonson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2009, 06:24 PM   #3
krazyteggy
2000 WJ 

I live in New brunswick and the price for DS around here are quite pricy, I paid almost 200CAD for the rear. and that was the cheapest I found.........however I would love to do the swap without having to take the cases apart if I could find a shaft for cheap......does the front DS have to be out of an 02-03 V8 as well??
Unread 12-30-2009, 06:29 PM   #4
cmonson

You can keep your existing front driveshaft & rear driveshaft.

just find a 242HD case out of ANY 99-04 grand cherokee with a V8. It will be a direct swap. No taking anything apart, no finding new driveshafts.
cmonson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2009, 06:37 PM   #5
krazyteggy
2000 WJ 

I already found a donor Tcase(242HD) and DS out of a 02 which I was told I had to have that particular case(02-03 V-8 selec trac) for it to work and for my swap I would need the rear donor shaft because the 242 tcase will be 2 inches longer than the 247. and the donor shaft has the same spline count as well it is 2 inches shorter. I am going to check around a couple junkyards around here tomorrow for a front DS.......but I wonder if any other front DS would work or does it have to come from the same donor????
Unread 12-30-2009, 06:44 PM   #6
gbauer
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazyteggy View Post
I already found a donor Tcase(242HD) and DS out of a 02 which I was told I had to have that particular case(02-03 V-8 selec trac) for it to work and for my swap I would need the rear donor shaft because the 242 tcase will be 2 inches longer than the 247. and the donor shaft has the same spline count as well it is 2 inches shorter. I am going to check around a couple junkyards around here tomorrow for a front DS.......but I wonder if any other front DS would work or does it have to come from the same donor????
You can probably re-use your old DS. swap the yokes and it should be fine. (I just swapped my yoke about 2 hours ago...)

Oh and the rear DS can be shortened. Ask a local auto-parts guy and they should be able to recommend someone. Mine was done for about $75.
gbauer is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.