Does this ZJ exist??? - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Does this ZJ exist???

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Building a Bumper?Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Reply
Unread 03-31-2004, 11:16 AM   #1
00Cherokee+98Z
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 84
Does this ZJ exist???

was there ever a ZJ trim level called a rio grande???

i had a black one pass me today....the doors had badges on them that were made up of what looked an awful lot like a Kia "Rio" emblem + the word "GRANDE" in the normal GC door badge lettering...

just curious as to whether this guy made this up???

__________________
2000 [COLOR=dimgray]Silverstone Metallic[/COLOR] XJ Classic 4x4, 4.0L HO, AW4, just some 29.5" tires, trail lights and recovery points for now.
2005 [color=navy]Midnight Blue Metallic[/color] Pontiac GTO, 6 liters, 6 speeds and 475 horses of fun.
[COLOR=dimgray]B.S.M.C.C.E.P. CLUB Member #24 [/color]
00Cherokee+98Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2004, 11:22 AM   #2
Texas ZJ1
Jeep Jedi Master
 
Texas ZJ1's Avatar
1994 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Omaha, NE
Posts: 20,099
I've never seen it but that doesn't mean that a stealership didn't make up some package for it.


Hunter
__________________
00 4.7 Laredo...stock

94 5.9 Laredo 6.5 RE lift with 35 Maxxis Bighorns
and 33 Bridgestone Duelers
Detroit and true trac
Red Jeep Club Member
REDNECK JCM
Texas Jeep Owner #6
USN Jeep Club #4
http://www.kevinsoffroad.com/
602.841.3355

For your performance needs:

kolak@kolakperformance.com
480.998.3661
Texas ZJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2004, 11:29 AM   #3
Meerkat
Registered User
1996 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Belle, WV
Posts: 4,930
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00Cherokee+98Z
was there ever a ZJ trim level called a rio grande???

i had a black one pass me today....the doors had badges on them that were made up of what looked an awful lot like a Kia "Rio" emblem + the word "GRANDE" in the normal GC door badge lettering...

just curious as to whether this guy made this up???

I remember a Wrangler called a Rio Grande in the '80's. it had a 2.4 liter 4 cylinder engine.
__________________
Warren
Black 1996 5.2L ZJ Limited
Meerkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2004, 02:02 PM   #4
00Cherokee+98Z
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 84
hmmm, so nobody knows for sure yet?
__________________
2000 [COLOR=dimgray]Silverstone Metallic[/COLOR] XJ Classic 4x4, 4.0L HO, AW4, just some 29.5" tires, trail lights and recovery points for now.
2005 [color=navy]Midnight Blue Metallic[/color] Pontiac GTO, 6 liters, 6 speeds and 475 horses of fun.
[COLOR=dimgray]B.S.M.C.C.E.P. CLUB Member #24 [/color]
00Cherokee+98Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2004, 02:41 PM   #5
Meerkat
Registered User
1996 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Belle, WV
Posts: 4,930
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00Cherokee+98Z
hmmm, so nobody knows for sure yet?

I've seen lists of all the different models available over the years, and don't remember ever seeing such a model. It would seem nobody else has either. One thing you learn on these boards though is the moment you jump up and state unequivicably that something doesn't exist, someone else will prove you wrong. So, if nobody says they know for sure it does exist, you can assume it probably doesn't.

HTH
__________________
Warren
Black 1996 5.2L ZJ Limited
Meerkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2004, 04:59 PM   #6
00Cherokee+98Z
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by wvd
I've seen lists of all the different models available over the years, and don't remember ever seeing such a model. It would seem nobody else has either. One thing you learn on these boards though is the moment you jump up and state unequivicably that something doesn't exist, someone else will prove you wrong. So, if nobody says they know for sure it does exist, you can assume it probably doesn't.

HTH

thanx.

im betting its fake myself....it really did look like the badge off the back of a kia RIO+ GRAND+ the E from CHEROKEE....
__________________
2000 [COLOR=dimgray]Silverstone Metallic[/COLOR] XJ Classic 4x4, 4.0L HO, AW4, just some 29.5" tires, trail lights and recovery points for now.
2005 [color=navy]Midnight Blue Metallic[/color] Pontiac GTO, 6 liters, 6 speeds and 475 horses of fun.
[COLOR=dimgray]B.S.M.C.C.E.P. CLUB Member #24 [/color]
00Cherokee+98Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2004, 06:08 PM   #7
spichman510
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 127
Ive never heard of it, but ive have definetly seen the TSI or something like that on differnt number of Grands what is that model it looks just like a laredo but what is the difference
__________________
[B]Spicher

-'98 5.9 Grand Cherokee-[/B]
spichman510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2004, 06:23 PM   #8
Meerkat
Registered User
1996 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Belle, WV
Posts: 4,930
Here's a 1996 press release:
Jeep Offers The Sporty Grand Cherokee TSi
Jeep(R) Grand Cherokee TSi Offers Sporty Performance

AUBURN HILLS, Mich., Dec. 16 -- Jeep(R) Grand
Cherokee, already the gold standard in the compact sport-utility
segment, now offers a sportier look with the debut of Grand Cherokee
TSi.

"All editions of Jeep Grand Cherokee appeal to the upscale buyer
in the compact sport-utility segment, but TSi appeals to the customer
who wants the sportiness associated with sports-sedans and the
versatility and capabilities of a Jeep vehicle," said Martin R.
Levine - General Manager Chrysler/Plymouth and Jeep/Eagle Division.

Including destination charges, the suggested base price for a
two-wheel- drive Grand Cherokee TSi is $29,849; the suggested base for
the four-wheel- drive version is $32,423.

Grand Cherokee TSi is available with the best-in-segment
5.2-liter, 220 horsepower V-8 engine that produces 300 foot-pounds of
torque or the standard 4.0-liter, 185 horsepower I-6 engine which
produces 220 foot-pounds of torque at just 2400 rpm.

Equipped with road-gripping 16-inch Goodyear Eagle ES performance
tires and the Jeep Quadra Coil touring suspension, Grand Cherokee TSi
delivers superb handling, while maintaining the legendary Jeep
off-highway capability.

Unique to the Grand Cherokee TSi exterior are aggressive 16-inch
five- spoke aluminum wheels accented in sparkle silver, iris blue TSi
pinstriping, and nameplates that set TSi apart from the Grand Cherokee
Laredo, Limited and Orvis Editions.

Unique interior features on Grand Cherokee TSi include
body-contoured perforated leather seating surfaces; 10-way, adjustable
power seats with lumbar and recline adjustments; and rustic Bird's Eye
Maple woodgrain accents on the instrument and door panels. Also
standard on TSi is a station surfer's dream: at-your-fingertips
steering wheel mounted stereo system controls.

Levine added, "Grand Cherokee TSi will attract buyers with a
different demographic profile from our current Laredo and Limited
buyers. The TSi buyer is slightly younger than Laredo and Limited
buyers. More are single males, with a greater percentage having
attended college with incomes higher than Laredo owners, but less than
Limited owners."

All Grand Cherokees are available with Select-Trac, full-time 4WD;
Quadra-Trac, all-time 4WD; or 2WD. Unique to Jeep, Quadra-Trac is
capable of providing any ratio of power "on-demand" -- virtually from
zero to 100 percent -- to the front and rear axles.

Jeep Grand Cherokee TSi will be assembled at Chrysler
Corporation's Jefferson North Assembly Plant in Detroit and Chrysler
Corporation's Graz Assembly Plant in Graz, Austria, and sold in North
America and mainland Europe.

CONTACT: Carrie McElwee, 810-512-2664, or Alex Tsigdinos,
810-512-2692, both of Chrysler

Now you know...
__________________
Warren
Black 1996 5.2L ZJ Limited
Meerkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2004, 07:22 PM   #9
spichman510
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by wvd
Here's a 1996 press release:
Jeep Offers The Sporty Grand Cherokee TSi
Jeep(R) Grand Cherokee TSi Offers Sporty Performance

AUBURN HILLS, Mich., Dec. 16 -- Jeep(R) Grand
Cherokee, already the gold standard in the compact sport-utility
segment, now offers a sportier look with the debut of Grand Cherokee
TSi.

"All editions of Jeep Grand Cherokee appeal to the upscale buyer
in the compact sport-utility segment, but TSi appeals to the customer
who wants the sportiness associated with sports-sedans and the
versatility and capabilities of a Jeep vehicle," said Martin R.
Levine - General Manager Chrysler/Plymouth and Jeep/Eagle Division.

Including destination charges, the suggested base price for a
two-wheel- drive Grand Cherokee TSi is $29,849; the suggested base for
the four-wheel- drive version is $32,423.

Grand Cherokee TSi is available with the best-in-segment
5.2-liter, 220 horsepower V-8 engine that produces 300 foot-pounds of
torque or the standard 4.0-liter, 185 horsepower I-6 engine which
produces 220 foot-pounds of torque at just 2400 rpm.

Equipped with road-gripping 16-inch Goodyear Eagle ES performance
tires and the Jeep Quadra Coil touring suspension, Grand Cherokee TSi
delivers superb handling, while maintaining the legendary Jeep
off-highway capability.

Unique to the Grand Cherokee TSi exterior are aggressive 16-inch
five- spoke aluminum wheels accented in sparkle silver, iris blue TSi
pinstriping, and nameplates that set TSi apart from the Grand Cherokee
Laredo, Limited and Orvis Editions.

Unique interior features on Grand Cherokee TSi include
body-contoured perforated leather seating surfaces; 10-way, adjustable
power seats with lumbar and recline adjustments; and rustic Bird's Eye
Maple woodgrain accents on the instrument and door panels. Also
standard on TSi is a station surfer's dream: at-your-fingertips
steering wheel mounted stereo system controls.

Levine added, "Grand Cherokee TSi will attract buyers with a
different demographic profile from our current Laredo and Limited
buyers. The TSi buyer is slightly younger than Laredo and Limited
buyers. More are single males, with a greater percentage having
attended college with incomes higher than Laredo owners, but less than
Limited owners."

All Grand Cherokees are available with Select-Trac, full-time 4WD;
Quadra-Trac, all-time 4WD; or 2WD. Unique to Jeep, Quadra-Trac is
capable of providing any ratio of power "on-demand" -- virtually from
zero to 100 percent -- to the front and rear axles.

Jeep Grand Cherokee TSi will be assembled at Chrysler
Corporation's Jefferson North Assembly Plant in Detroit and Chrysler
Corporation's Graz Assembly Plant in Graz, Austria, and sold in North
America and mainland Europe.

CONTACT: Carrie McElwee, 810-512-2664, or Alex Tsigdinos,
810-512-2692, both of Chrysler

Now you know...
now that is an answer, thank you i am enlightened
__________________
[B]Spicher

-'98 5.9 Grand Cherokee-[/B]
spichman510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2004, 02:17 AM   #10
Interloper
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Canton, OhIo
Posts: 159
I'm thinking its a homebrewed mod...

The Orvis and TSi are the only special ones I know of, other than of course, the 5.9
__________________
1995 ZJ Limited. 4.0L

"nobody cares what's underneath," ...Dieter Zetsche
Interloper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2004, 08:07 AM   #11
Texas ZJ1
Jeep Jedi Master
 
Texas ZJ1's Avatar
1994 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Omaha, NE
Posts: 20,099
I know that there was a Dealership in California (Don-A-Vee) that had a license to do jeep mods like an older performance dealership. They came up with a throttle body spacer, a special model called (Interstate that had the 5.2 and a supercharger), you could buy special models with lifts and mods through them. They may have had such a model yet, after 10 years, I've never heard of it.


Hunter
__________________
00 4.7 Laredo...stock

94 5.9 Laredo 6.5 RE lift with 35 Maxxis Bighorns
and 33 Bridgestone Duelers
Detroit and true trac
Red Jeep Club Member
REDNECK JCM
Texas Jeep Owner #6
USN Jeep Club #4
http://www.kevinsoffroad.com/
602.841.3355

For your performance needs:

kolak@kolakperformance.com
480.998.3661
Texas ZJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2004, 02:29 AM   #12
djorkboy
Registered User
1996 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: S 33° 57.357 .......... E 150° 58.098
Posts: 224
My Jeep was bought from a dealership here in Sydney called 'Scuderia Veloce' that considers themselves so important they have their own badges made up to plaster all over the Jeeps they sell. A 'SVM' shield type badge goes in front of the Grand Cherokee badges and 'Scuderia Veloce' on one side of the tailgate with another stupid looking "SVM" on the other side.

In Sydney no-one bats and eyelid as it seems at least half of all Grand Cherokees come from this dealer (and have the extra badging) but when I travel to other parts of Australia I get almost every Grand Cherokee driver and a fair few other Jeep drivers asking me at traffic lights/in car park/just about anywhere you can think of, if my car is some model they didn't know about.

I plan to remove the un-original badges before I take anymore interstate trips.

....Scuderia Veloce also sell Ferraris and Porsches, I hope they don't put 'extra' badging on those
djorkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2004, 06:47 PM   #13
shookwell
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: 1
Posts: 484
my 95 YJ is a rio grande
__________________
__________________
shookwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2004, 08:04 PM   #14
10achik
I ate what?
 
10achik's Avatar
1999 WJ 
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: STL (IL side)
Posts: 8,341
I have a feeling it was somebody wanting to have something unique, I personally have never heard of a RIO Grand Cherokee???

He probably got the idea after looking at a site like
http://www.riceboypage.com/
If you have never seen it, go to the hall of shame's...talk about some confused people, hell they have no idea what they are driving, but they are something special
__________________
Ken

99 GC Limited - 4.7L HO V8, 6.5" IRO HC LA lift, F&R D44s locked & trussed, 242HD, IRO TC Skid, KMA Bumper, 35's
2006 Saturn Redline -2.0L Eaton supercharged I4, GMPP Stage 2, Custom Tune, AEM CAI, Ebiach Pro Kit w/ swaybars, EVO Ventus V12s (13.76 @ 103.85)
2006 Pontiac G6 GTP
2012 Nissan Juke - (hers)
2000 SV650 - naked, integrated tail light, sliders, corbin, pilot roads, RK chain & sprokets, D&D full exhaust, FactoryPro Stage I jet kit, +4 Ignition Advancer, Barnett race clutch
2006 Triumph America 900 - Full Dresser

January 2009 Grand Cherokee of the Month (GCOTM)
10achik is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2004, 09:50 PM   #15
kash_711
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 8
perhaps he comes from south texas next to the rio grande river and he thought it would be "cute" to put RIO in front of grand cherokee
kash_711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Suggested Threads





Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.