Does PCM Need to be Programmed? - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Does PCM Need to be Programmed?

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectJKS Now Available at www.baseline4x4.com, Trackbars, SkidsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 08-23-2008, 08:46 PM   #31
eparke
1997 ZJ 

F4D, I just finished putting on a new coil AND a new camshaft position sensor. Neither one helped. I have now changed the Crank sensor, cam sensor, ignition coil, PCM and the BCM. I have grounded out the purple/yellow wire. I don't know what else to do. Any more input from anyone?

Luckduck, thanks for the input. Maybe we could chain them bumper to bumper and find the deepest lake.

eparke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2008, 10:21 PM   #32
Kolak
Vendor

Did you troubleshoot the auto shutdown relay circuit to see if there's a problem there? I'd have to look at the wiring diagram, but it memory serves, it's supposed to kill the injectors, fuel pump, and coil. You do have a weird scenario with no spark and a continually running fuel pump but I'd still check it.
kolak@aol.com or kolak@kolakperformance.com
Kolak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2008, 03:09 AM   #33
superarmen
1999 WJ 

stealerships have to pay for their overhead somehow, right? lol ...kinda off topic but my crankshaft sensor was out and the jeep wouldnt start and the quote they gave me with labor was $300 ....friends dad is a mechanic and he got me the part with installation for $20...id say get it from somewhere else

94 YJ in BLACK
superarmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2008, 03:19 PM   #34
eparke
1997 ZJ 

Kolak, I am trying to troubleshoot the ASD Relay circuit now. I have not given in to taking it to a shop just yet. It may be my stubornness, or stupidity - I don't know, but I still think I can figure this out.
There is a DK GRN/ORG wire that pretty much runs from the PCM to the ASD and then to many sensors and ignition parts. When checking this wire, it reads 5.6 Ohms when referenced to the negative battery post. When I disconnect both O2 Sensors, it opens the circuit (it will only do it when both O2's are disconnected). Is this a normal condition? Are the sensors shorting out?
Also, this same DK GRN/ORG wire is connected to each fuel injector. When the connector is connected to the injectors, the GRN/ORG wire ohms out to the block at 2.7 ohms. The other wire (driver?) ohms out at 14.7. When I disconnect the connector from the injector, the driver wire opens the circuit. So are the injectors shorting out?
Unread 08-28-2008, 03:49 PM   #35
----

At the risk of sounding dumb: Have you checked the ECM fuse located under the hood? I believe it's a yellow 20AMP
---- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2008, 04:19 PM   #36
eparke
1997 ZJ 

If it is in the Power Distribution Center then I have checked it. If it is in another location under the hood, then I have not checked it. I will look into it. Thanks for the input.
Unread 08-28-2008, 06:25 PM   #37
eparke
1997 ZJ 

Testing the O2 sensors again, I have found that if I disconnect the connector, when I Ohm the BLK/TAN wire and the DR GRN/ORG wire together I get 5.0 Ohms. Could my O2 sensors be shorted out due to an extremely rich mixture produced by the starting fluid when I first tried starting this engine? Because at first the engine tried to start, then all of a sudden there was no more spark.
Unread 08-28-2008, 10:12 PM   #38
VulcanJeep

Came across this link to a stalling fix for the PCM:

http://forums.cnet.com/5208-7811_102...rum-w;forums06
VulcanJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2008, 10:24 PM   #39
Kolak
Vendor

I'd have to poke around in the factory service manual and look at the ASD circuit and troubleshooting section, but did you try starting up the Jeep with the O2 sensors disconnected? It doesn't require they be plugged in to operate in open loop mode.
kolak@aol.com or kolak@kolakperformance.com
Kolak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2008, 11:54 PM   #40
eparke
1997 ZJ 

I did try the grounded screws in the PCM. Unfortunately that is not the problem here.
I did not try to start the jeep with the O2 sensors unplugged. What I am doing now is I have all of the spark plugs out because sometimes it will load up on fuel when testing things and I have to remove the plugs to pump out all the gasoline. So to test the ignition, I have a test light on the coil connector to look for voltage to the coil.
I tested the voltage coming from the keyswitch to the BCM and it checks out good.
I did notice that when I unplug C3 (Grey Plug) on the PCM and then reconnect it, I get the test light to light up for an instant and the ASD relay will click. But the light just flashes and goes back off (not the 3 second that it should stay lit).
Unread 09-01-2008, 04:34 PM   #41
eparke
1997 ZJ 

There is an orange wire that goes to the PDC, PCM, BCM, ASD Relay, A/C Clutch Relay and a few other componants. When I attach a test light to the + side of the battery and probe this orange wire (with the PCM unhooked with all three connectors) with the key off it lights the test light. When I clip the test light to the - side of the battery and turn the key on, the test light lights. Does this mean the orange wire is grounded somewhere? I would think so, but I would also think that it would blow a fuse. It just doesn't make sense that this circuit would light up with both the positive and negative sides of the battery. The fuse that goes with this circuit is in the PDC. I can do the same test on this fuse. The fuse is a 15 amp fuse, one of the small ones and as you are looking at the PDC from the passenger side of the vehicle, looking over the fender, it's the lower left small fuse.
Unread 01-25-2014, 12:34 PM   #42
looda

Just found this link. might help...gonna try it tonight.

http://zemel.hubpages.com/hub/jeep-no-start
looda is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.