Does PCM Need to be Programmed? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Does PCM Need to be Programmed?

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 08-10-2008, 02:05 PM   #16
moparrr07
1998 ZJ 

UPSELL just means they are trying to sell you something that was broken that you didnt come in for, brake light bulbs, leaks etc,

whichever tech gets the most upsells per month gets a bonus,

call the dealership not saying who you are and ask them how much it would be to prgram a pcm, then go get your own and have them program it for you( if it needs it)

Unread 08-10-2008, 02:22 PM   #17
eparke
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddyjgc View Post
I believe that is virtually impossible with fuel injection. The injectors would have to be stuck open for any fuel to get in the cylinders. The injectors are closed until you start cranking the engine. The pump is running for a few seconds to build the fuel pressure in the fuel rail. Then it shuts off until you start the engine.
I thought the same thing, that it is impossible for this to happen. But it is happening. Perhaps I have more than one thing going on here. Or the PCM is just so wacked out that it doesn't know what is going on?
eparke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2008, 02:25 PM   #18
eparke
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by moparrr07 View Post
UPSELL just means they are trying to sell you something that was broken that you didnt come in for, brake light bulbs, leaks etc,

whichever tech gets the most upsells per month gets a bonus,

call the dealership not saying who you are and ask them how much it would be to prgram a pcm, then go get your own and have them program it for you( if it needs it)

Ebay has the PCM's which says, "Programmed to your VIN". Is this reliable? Or will I still need to have it programmed at the dealer? Also, Checker has them and it says, "Flash Programmed at the factory". The PCM is strictly for the 1997 Grand Cherokee, so are they telling me that I won't need to take it to the dealer?
Unread 08-10-2008, 02:29 PM   #19
moparrr07
1998 ZJ 

hard to say, some do some dont, they can depend on theft stuff, there were changes middyear all the time
Unread 08-10-2008, 05:28 PM   #20
eparke
1997 ZJ 

New CPS

Okay, I put in a new CPS. No change. Now, I am to the point of changing out the PCM. But since I have changed mine out with a used one, and it did the same thing...I am nervous that a new will either not fix the problem or my system might fry the new one. I wish I had another ZJ here to try this PCM in it to see if it would work with the other jeep.
Does anyone out there have the capability to test my PCM if I send it to you? Thanks.

Last edited by eparke; 08-10-2008 at 05:58 PM..
Unread 08-10-2008, 05:57 PM   #21
eparke
1997 ZJ 

One other thing

One other thing...There are places on the forum where people talk about grounding out a wire to shut down the Vehicle Theft Security System. They say to ground out a wire in the drivers door that is purple with a yellow tracer. My Jeep does not have this wire. My door has a purple wire with a BLACK tracer. Is this the wire that I need to ground out to see if shutting down my alarm might get this thing started? None of my wiring diagrams show anything to do with the alarm system.
Unread 08-11-2008, 05:00 AM   #22
Kolak
Vendor

The unusual symptoms with the fuel gauge and the security system would lead me to believe the body control module is somehow involved with this.
Kolak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2008, 06:36 PM   #23
eparke
1997 ZJ 

Kolak, thanks for the tip. I actually located online an excellent repair manual today - I think it may actually be the Jeep Technician Repair Manual, and I will look into the BCM. After reading a bit in the manual, I think you may be right. I will update with what I find. Thanks again.
Unread 08-18-2008, 10:40 PM   #24
eparke
1997 ZJ 

Well, after going through all the pinouts in the BCM, I am no further ahead. All of the grounds and power are fine with the BCM. I feel like towing this jeep to the lake and letting it roll down the boat ramp. Why would the red led on top of the dash come on solid about 30 seconds after the keyswitch is turned on?
Unread 08-19-2008, 05:46 AM   #25
Kolak
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by eparke View Post
Well, after going through all the pinouts in the BCM, I am no further ahead. All of the grounds and power are fine with the BCM. I feel like towing this jeep to the lake and letting it roll down the boat ramp. Why would the red led on top of the dash come on solid about 30 seconds after the keyswitch is turned on?

But what about the BCM itself? That behavior sure sounds like it's throwing fits.
kolak@aol.com or kolak@kolakperformance.com
Kolak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2008, 05:17 PM   #26
eparke
1997 ZJ 

Well, I have located a guy who has the exact same jeep that I have. He is parting it out but still has the motor running and said that it would be okay if I brought my BCM over and put it in his jeep to see if it acts the same way my jeep does. If his jeep still starts with my BCM, I'll put my PCM in and see what happens. This will tell all. I'm doing this Friday morning and I'll post the results Friday evening.
Unread 08-22-2008, 04:55 PM   #27
eparke
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by eparke View Post
Well, I have located a guy who has the exact same jeep that I have. He is parting it out but still has the motor running and said that it would be okay if I brought my BCM over and put it in his jeep to see if it acts the same way my jeep does. If his jeep still starts with my BCM, I'll put my PCM in and see what happens. This will tell all. I'm doing this Friday morning and I'll post the results Friday evening.
Well, this was a no-go. He told me his was a '97 but when I got there it looked more like a 1995 or before. The PCM and BCM were totally different. Oh well. Then I found a BCM and a PCM (two different wrecking yards) and purchased them. Still no spark. With the new BCM though, the red led does not come on anymore, and when I lock the doors with the fob, the horn chirps, (even with the purple/yellow wire grounded) which it did not do before when the jeep was running .
I am totaly lost here. Never felt so helpless in my life.
Unread 08-23-2008, 12:52 PM   #28
eparke
1997 ZJ 

Is this a telltale sign that it is an alarm problem?

Okay, I am finding out that if my problem is an alarm problem, then the jeep would start for a few seconds and then shut down. Is this correct? I don't get any spark from the get go, so does that tell me that the problem is NOT the alarm? I don't have the lights flashing and all the other stuff that people have when their alarms are giving them trouble. Have I been barking up the wrong tree?
Unread 08-23-2008, 12:59 PM   #29
F4D
1996 ZJ 

Have you checked the coil?
F4D is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2008, 01:16 PM   #30
Luckyduck
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I feel for you. I am having trouble in my TJ with my PCM. I have 4 sitting in my jeep right now My kill switch (I also got that little red light on the dash) stopped working then started again today. Sorry I don't have any advice besides if the dumping it in the river works let me know so I can do the same

CentralMass4wd.com

1993 Ranger 2wd - dd
1999 wranger 2.5 - it gets used for something
1978 international scout - being built
1998 Cherokee sport 4.0 auto
1957 CJ5 - restoring back to stock http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showt...54#post5168554
Bikes:2000 Ducati Monster 900: 2001 CBR 600 F4i: 1980 CB 900
my build http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/my-build-thread-those-us-low-budgets-550786/
Luckyduck is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.