Does anyone know anything about flashing the ECM? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Does anyone know anything about flashing the ECM?

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!Ruffstuff's Monster Shock Brackets!Even Better Heim Pricing! From Ruffstuff

Unread 01-12-2005, 11:07 AM   #1
nova
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Does anyone know anything about flashing the ECM?

Does anyone know where or if there are programs to flash the ECM with? I'm just wondering what kind of programs they have for Jeeps. My friend has one for his truck, and it improves his gas mileage greatly. He can re-flash it and then the fuel consumption is set up better for racing. I'm just curious if there is one for Jeeps.

nova is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-19-2005, 12:06 AM   #2
Meerkat
1996 ZJ 

Back when I was trying to decide whether or not to buy a performance PCM, I read an article about flashing the PCM on Jeeps, but I cannot find it now. IIRC it was not something that the average consumer could perform. It required installing a socket on the board, so the chip could be removed, and a socket (with attendant hardware/software to flash the chip. I never did come across anything that would allow modification of the PCM's programming while in use.
Sorry...
Unread 01-19-2005, 01:03 AM   #3
PumaZJ

if i were you i would not mess with the diagnostics of such an intricately designed system. The air/fuel curves are set at a certain ratio for a purpose. If you have the V8 the mopar performance PCM is about your only bet. The Jet chips for 4.0 and V8 grands are another option but over time the curve weans itself back to stock setting, dont ask me how but thats what I've heard EVERYONE say that has got a Jet chip.

http://www.mallcrawlin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4421
PumaZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-22-2005, 12:01 PM   #4
vipersrt1
1999 TJ Wrangler 

working for a jeep dealer in service, I would say dont do it,
I have asked the techs the same ? and they say yah you can mess with it, but its not worth it, your better off doing engine mod's instead
good luck

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.