Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Does anybody clean your spark plugs ?

659 views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  somebody5788 
#1 ·
I run copper champion by the way in my 97 grand 4.0. If you do clean your plugs how do you do it ?
I know just buy new ones their cheap as I did but the old ones looked great so I just sprayed them with carb. cleaner and reinstalled with new crush washers.

Thank, 3

#2 ·
have not done that since the 1970 80's... sand blasters - ohm checks, its been awhile showing my age,

Being in the trade and dealing with 100$ an hour labor rates and the new 'forever' iridium* type plugs not cost feasible to clean.

#3 ·
I've done it on my 4.0 and others over the years. There is a little tool made for it that is essentially a thin file, but not as aggressive as a real file. Kind of like one of those metal fingernail files. All my tools were stolen several years ago and the ancient hand-me-down spark plug tool I had was lost. I use fine sandpaper / emery cloth. All you're worried about is the end of the electrode and the area on the ground bar across from it. Well, unless you have oil & gunk buildup or carbon bridging.

#4 ·
If the engine is running fine and it has no issues, you shouldn't really need to do anything before it's time to replace the spark plugs.

#6 ·
Lol HL and nobody here to clean my plugs for me either!

I used to clean my spark plugs just using some fine emery cloth on the electrodes then spraying them down with carb cleaner.

For quite a while I was using my bench grinder with med wire wheel for cleaning the electrodes. But this darkened the ceramic insulator. I heard this could be a fine metal coating, bad idea, so quit using this method.

I'm at the point if pulling the plugs they're getting replaced. Even though I have a set of new copper Champions I bought a set of NGK copper plugs which look like better quality. Hope to install them soon on my 96 4.0.

BTW, I use a non-seize stick on the plug threads and a real thin coating of dielectric grease on the outside of the ceramic insulator when installing new plugs.

#8 ·
I'm at the point if pulling the plugs they're getting replaced. Even though I have a set of new copper Champions I bought a set of NGK copper plugs which look like better quality. Hope to install them soon on my 96 4.0.
You won't be disappointed. I replaced Champion copper plugs with NGK BKR6E on my niner. They are really good compared to the factory- spec. Champions.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.