does a '98 5.9 have an Airbag Shut Off Switch? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > does a '98 5.9 have an Airbag Shut Off Switch?

Spiderwebshade @ JeepHut.comTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaSavvy Billet LED Tail Lights

Unread 07-28-2011, 02:24 AM   #1
Iceman_RNR
2000 TJ Wrangler 

does a '98 5.9 have an Airbag Shut Off Switch?

Hello,

after searching a little on the forums and the web I haven't found an answer to the question about whether or not a 1998 5.9L Grand Cherokee has an Airbug Shut Off Switch?
On my 2000 TJ it's got a separate key hole to turn it off on the center console, but I haven't been able to find that on the GC.
The owner's manual says to check the paragraph on Passenger Side Shut Off Switch, but it doesn't have such a paragraph in the manual?

Any and all info is welcome,

Ron

Unread 07-28-2011, 09:11 AM   #2
muddyjgc
2005 WK 

Air bag shut of switches are only available on vehicles with no or back seats too small for a baby car seat. Standard and extended cab pickups have them but not full crew cabs. I would imagine the TJ rear seat would fall under the "too small" back seat category. The ZJ doesn't qualify.

I think they have done away with the switches over the past couple of years. Now they use weight sensors in the seat and whether or not the seat belt is buckled to determine if the airbag is on or off.
muddyjgc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-28-2011, 10:01 AM   #3
Candymancan
1998 ZJ 

isnt there a fuse for the airbag ?
Candymancan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-28-2011, 10:49 AM   #4
ZJ5point2GCL
1998 ZJ 

there isn't but if you have to disable it for some reason, both air bags have yellow clips near the obd II port that you can disconnect.
Unread 07-28-2011, 12:17 PM   #5
MeanGreenZJ
Web Wheeler

http://www.wjjeeps.com/tsb/tsb_wj_0802501.pdf
MeanGreenZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-28-2011, 02:19 PM   #6
Iceman_RNR
2000 TJ Wrangler 

thanks for the info. So it doesn't come with it standard, like in my 2000 TJ. You have to jump through lawyer's hoops to be able to install an on-off switch for the passenger side airbag ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeanGreenZJ View Post
Unread 07-28-2011, 03:01 PM   #7
MeanGreenZJ
Web Wheeler

Sounds that way. Seems that your 2000 TJ didn't come with it standard since it's on the list as well. My guess is that someone before you bought it jumped through lawyer's hoops.
MeanGreenZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-28-2011, 08:08 PM   #8
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

my g/f's 2000 tj came with the switch stock.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-28-2011, 09:39 PM   #9
squazz
Web Wheeler
1993 ZJ 

Not to side track but tgis thread reminds me that I unhooked both front sensors in my 93 when I din my bumper cutting and my airbag light never came on am I in danger of this thing exploding at any givin moment? How would I totally disable it? A plug along the steering colum?
squazz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-29-2011, 03:56 AM   #10
Iceman_RNR
2000 TJ Wrangler 

my 2000 TJ also came with it stock (late '99 model), but for the GC you'd have to go through the process to have the ability to turn the passenger side airbag off ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratmonkey View Post
my g/f's 2000 tj came with the switch stock.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.