Dodge Neon Injectors in the 4.0 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Dodge Neon Injectors in the 4.0

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueBlack Friday SALE! Up to 20% off at Diode Dynamics!

Unread 12-26-2010, 12:29 AM   #1
harwood909
1995 ZJ 

Dodge Neon Injectors in the 4.0

Just read over on the cherokee forum that guys are putting dodge 2.0 and 2.4 neon injectors in the 4.0. The theory behind it is the stock jeep injectors only have one or two holes to shoot gas... the neon's have four holes.

Question: Will it work on the ZJ?

Literally Built
harwood909 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-26-2010, 02:20 AM   #2
melk
1996 ZJ 

Try it and find out?

Main concern would be to see if they operate at a similar pressure.
melk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-26-2010, 07:07 AM   #3
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

ford motorsports injectors or the accel ones meant for ford 5.0's are 4 hole ev1 injectors.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-26-2010, 10:04 AM   #4
tonymartin
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Speaking of injectors, one of mine is dodgy according to an OBDII scan, I got code P0207 Injector Circuit/Open cylinder 7 so would I be able to pull one from any jeep from the scrap yard or only a V8? If that fixes it I may save tyo get the fords after the holidays!

What lb's per hour should I look for as a minimum swap output?
Unread 12-26-2010, 12:52 PM   #5
ZJ5point2GCL
1998 ZJ 

never heard of the neon ones, but the fords from the 4.6 or 5.0 are good, i have some in my 5.2 and they are great, more throttle response and a bit more MPG's, smoother idle and quieter exhaust note.

the factory ones have 1 hole the ford ones have 4

and it will work in your 4.0
Unread 12-26-2010, 10:53 PM   #6
CatSplat
Derp.

1994 ZJ 

It's a fairly common swap over in Australia for the XJ 4.0s, and since they're identical to the ZJ 4.0s they should work just fine. The 2.4L injectors are 4-pintle EV6 designs, so they work more efficiently than the EV1 units - or so they say! I have a full set of the 2.4L injectors ready to swap in, but I'm going to create a mileage baseline with a freshly-rebuilt set of Bosch 19# EV1 injectors first to see if there's any noticeable mileage or power gains. I'm doing that on a 5.9 though, so it may not be totally relevant to the 4.0s. Really, for the price of 6 junkyard injectors, I'd say it's worth it just for you to try out.

Make sure you grab ones with the right electrical connector, all the ones I saw used the same connector as the stock ZJ Deka injectors but newer ones may have the newer (USCAR?) plug.
Unread 12-26-2010, 11:13 PM   #7
harwood909
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatSplat View Post
Really, for the price of 6 junkyard injectors, I'd say it's worth it just for you to try out.

Make sure you grab ones with the right electrical connector, all the ones I saw used the same connector as the stock ZJ Deka injectors but newer ones may have the newer (USCAR?) plug.
Thats was my thoughts on it. 20 bucks from the local u-pick and hey preto...

Literally Built
Unread 12-26-2010, 11:17 PM   #8
ZJ5point2GCL
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatSplat View Post
It's a fairly common swap over in Australia for the XJ 4.0s, and since they're identical to the ZJ 4.0s they should work just fine. The 2.4L injectors are 4-pintle EV6 designs, so they work more efficiently than the EV1 units - or so they say! I have a full set of the 2.4L injectors ready to swap in, but I'm going to create a mileage baseline with a freshly-rebuilt set of Bosch 19# EV1 injectors first to see if there's any noticeable mileage or power gains. I'm doing that on a 5.9 though, so it may not be totally relevant to the 4.0s. Really, for the price of 6 junkyard injectors, I'd say it's worth it just for you to try out.

so what does work more efficiently mean? like better fuel atomization? or whats the benefit of the EV1 over the EV6? is it worth getting adapters?
Unread 12-27-2010, 12:28 AM   #9
harwood909
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zj5point2gcl View Post
so what does work more efficiently mean? Like better fuel atomization?

bingo

Literally Built
Unread 12-27-2010, 12:43 AM   #10
ZJ5point2GCL
1998 ZJ 

but you still need to splice your injector harness or get adapters right?
Unread 12-27-2010, 01:11 AM   #11
94chb
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZJ5point2GCL View Post
nope most have the same style plug, i gave some of my 4.0 injectors to my buddy for his 2.9 ford ranger they were the same
94chb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-27-2010, 01:44 AM   #12
CatSplat
Derp.

1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZJ5point2GCL View Post
Nope! All the 2.4L injectors I pulled had the same connector as the stock ZJ injectors, direct swap.

As for your other questions, the EV6 has better atomization which leads to a more complete burn, which increases the efficiency of the engine. You should, in theory, see an increase in power and mileage over the stock (junk) Deka injectors. How much of an increase, I can't say. EV6 injectors are more reliable and less likely to leak than EV1, and and work correctly over a larger range of fuel pressures.
Unread 12-27-2010, 06:04 AM   #13
melk
1996 ZJ 

Another thing to add to my JY list

Any general idea of what years have the EV6? Do they have any markings or numbers to tell I'm pulling the right kind?
melk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-27-2010, 07:47 AM   #14
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

ev6 is a connector style, i don't see how you can plug it into an ev1 pigtail.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-27-2010, 10:27 AM   #15
CatSplat
Derp.

1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratmonkey View Post
ev6 is a connector style, i don't see how you can plug it into an ev1 pigtail.
That's actually a common misconception, EV1, EV6, EV12, etc are injector body designs, the connector is separate from that and selected by the OEM. The older connector design was present on the vast majority of EV1 injectors and many EV6 injectors as they were phased in. This connector, due to being present on basically all EV1 injectors is known to most people as the "EV1" connector, however its real name is the Jetronic/Minitimer connector. Most early EV6 injectors had the Jetronic/Minitimer as well, mostly so the car companies could upgrade to better injectors without having to redesign wiring harnesses. Later, the OEMs moved to a new connector design, called USCAR. This connector became associated with the EV6 body design and most people assume that all EV6 injectors came with this connector.

EV1, Jetronic/Minitimer connector:

EV6, Jetronic/Minitimer connector:

EV6, USCAR connector:

Also, the Jetronic/Minitimer is still specced by some manufacturers. The top injector in this picture is a late EV12 design with the J/M plug.

Tags
fuel injector

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.