dodge durango steering box upgrade - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > dodge durango steering box upgrade

Dana 30/ Dana 44 Chromoly shaft Kits- ECGSFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201

Unread 01-19-2010, 06:53 PM   #1
bigbluezj94
1994 ZJ 

dodge durango steering box upgrade

i cracked my steering box last weekend at logandale and it moves around horribly now. i plan on plating the frame and getting a durango steering box along with hydro assist. they say that it is a heavier duty box and it has 4 mounting holes vice the 3 of a stock grand. but does it have the same spline count pitman arm??

edit: also, if i buy a remaned one from autozone or whatever, will they take my grand one as a core or will they try and give me a hassle??

[COLOR="RoyalBlue"][B]BigBlue build 3/4 ton axles, LAs, 37s [/COLOR][/B]
[B][U][url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=818891[/url] [/U][/B]

99 Grand Cherokee Laredo WJ, 4.7 liter, 247 Quadra Trac II, fully loaded

[color=Black][center][size=4][font=Showcard Gothic][color=Black][url="http://groups.jeepforum.com/Built_Not_Bought"][color=Black]Built Not Bought #033[/color][/url][/color][/font][/size][/center]
[/color]
[/CENTER]

Last edited by bigbluezj94; 01-19-2010 at 07:07 PM..
bigbluezj94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2010, 08:48 PM   #2
amonostereo
1993 ZJ 

I was literally JUST going to ask this exact same question! (great minds, you know.)

That is kinda weird actually.....

BUT (more Q's):
I heard that the Durango box (at least that of a 99 V8) has just 3 holes. Correct?

I do not have hydro assist in my stock POS. Is it possible to install?

Is the swap more difficult in any way than just trading it out for a new (ZJ) Steering Gear?
'93 5.2L V8, Laredo, 242 TC swapped from a 249, 3" Coils up front and Front coils in the Rear, JKS Adjustable Track bar, K&N Cold Air Intake with Amsoil filter, Rear cargo area shelving, and KOR's Steering Gear Brace, IRO's Over-The-Knuckle Steering, Top Light Rail, Top Tire Carrier... for now...
OR If you prefer acronyms: 93 5.2 V8, 249>242, 3" FC, ~2" RC, JKS Adj. TB w/ KOR TB Bracket, K&N CIA w/ Amsoil filter, Shelves, KOR SB, IRO OTK HD steering

Last edited by amonostereo; 01-19-2010 at 10:29 PM..
amonostereo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2010, 10:29 PM   #3
amonostereo
1993 ZJ 

After research on many sites, I have repeatedly found that a '99 V8 Dodge Durango steering gear box will directly swap in. There should be no spline difference issues.

Also, a 1980+ Wagoneer will fit, and is a beefier box, but there seems to be dissent about the usefulness of this: it is time that wears down the gear boxes, so getting an older gear box may not improve any play experienced previously.

I still am unsure about hydro-assist. (did you mean that you already have it and you want to get a steering gear which is compatible?)

Knowing the typical 'diligence' of my local Autozone/Checker folks, I would be willing to be that you could throw an alternator in the box and they wouldn't know the difference, much less a steering gear ever so slightly different from what they are expecting. On the other hand, it would probably mess up their re-manufacturer's assembly line.

Bottom line: I am doing it. Pulling the gear box this Friday. I will let you guys know how it works out. Wish me luck!
'93 5.2L V8, Laredo, 242 TC swapped from a 249, 3" Coils up front and Front coils in the Rear, JKS Adjustable Track bar, K&N Cold Air Intake with Amsoil filter, Rear cargo area shelving, and KOR's Steering Gear Brace, IRO's Over-The-Knuckle Steering, Top Light Rail, Top Tire Carrier... for now...
OR If you prefer acronyms: 93 5.2 V8, 249>242, 3" FC, ~2" RC, JKS Adj. TB w/ KOR TB Bracket, K&N CIA w/ Amsoil filter, Shelves, KOR SB, IRO OTK HD steering
Unread 01-19-2010, 10:56 PM   #4
Virmagicus
Headed Out West

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by amonostereo View Post
a '99 V8 Dodge Durango steering gear box will directly swap in. There should be no spline difference issues.
Yep, splines are the same.
Virmagicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2010, 10:30 AM   #5
amonostereo
1993 ZJ 

To those who have done this mod:

Was it easy?
Do you have 3 or 4 mounting holes?
Would you recommend hitting up the junkyard or Autozone/Checker/NAPA?

Thanks a bunch guys!
Unread 01-20-2010, 11:22 AM   #6
LordHobbit
1993 ZJ 

This is awesome. Pics, writeup or other please.

Isn't red the only color a vehicle should be?
If at first you don't succeed, use more speed.
LordHobbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2010, 12:53 PM   #7
bigbluezj94
1994 ZJ 

car-part.com has a bunch and they are as low as 35 bux, but you never know the shape of those. i think im going to go the autozone route...

as for the hydro assist, i know a stock box with work but ive heard that a durango gear is better and it alone will have any easier time turning my 37s. so im going to drill and tap it for hydro assist. ill make a write-up if in anyone is interested. i will also be plating my frame with to ensure no cracking/bending/breaking there.

[COLOR="RoyalBlue"][B]BigBlue build 3/4 ton axles, LAs, 37s [/COLOR][/B]
[B][U][url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=818891[/url] [/U][/B]

99 Grand Cherokee Laredo WJ, 4.7 liter, 247 Quadra Trac II, fully loaded

[color=Black][center][size=4][font=Showcard Gothic][color=Black][url="http://groups.jeepforum.com/Built_Not_Bought"][color=Black]Built Not Bought #033[/color][/url][/color][/font][/size][/center]
[/color]
[/CENTER]
bigbluezj94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2010, 04:09 PM   #8
QuadraTokn
1930 WJ 

I wouldnt put a used box in my jeep, but if you're on a budget and dont mind possibly doing it a couple times until you get a decent box, then the JY route may be for you.
QuadraTokn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2010, 04:38 PM   #9
shdybrady19
1996 ZJ 

where exactly do you drill and tap for hydro assist?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick62087 View Post
If you can weld and aren't afraid to take a chance, I'd say try it - someone's gotta do it.
LOOKING FOR 96-98 ZJ CARPET, TAN OR BLACK IN COLOR, ALSO LOOKING FOR HOOD HINGES. 93-95 MIGHT BE COMPATIBLE
shdybrady19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2010, 05:44 PM   #10
Eshindi
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eshindi View Post
You have to tap another hole where the pressure line is on the pump. I have seen people split the line ( i wont do that).
Here is a writeup on how to do a full hydro steering.
Full hydro and hydro assist are very similar except that with full hydro you just basically remove the gear box, steering column and they give you a strong pump.

My Build Log

Last edited by Eshindi; 01-20-2010 at 05:46 PM.. Reason: Spell check
Eshindi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2010, 05:46 PM   #11
Eshindi
1999 WJ 

Delete me opps

My Build Log
Eshindi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2010, 07:21 PM   #12
sandman
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by amonostereo View Post
To those who have done this mod:

Was it easy?
Do you have 3 or 4 mounting holes?
Would you recommend hitting up the junkyard or Autozone/Checker/NAPA?

Thanks a bunch guys!
i dont know what years have the 4 mounting holes but this is the main reason for the upgrade since the weakness to our set up is the 3 hole design.

Junk yard is probably going to be your best bet.
Unread 01-20-2010, 07:29 PM   #13
sandman
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by shdybrady19 View Post
where exactly do you drill and tap for hydro assist?
done on an XJ but its the same. Cheap Hydro Assist - Virtual Jeep Club

when you tap the box you gotta be sure you get all the shavings out.
Unread 01-20-2010, 07:45 PM   #14
SnowLeopard
1997 ZJ 

I had to replace my steering box earlier this year, and I didn't know about this option back then. Autozone does have good deals on rebuilt units with a warranty on them. They honor it, too. They're good quality rebuilds. I bought the KOR steering brace to reinforce it afterward, but I think the Durango box would negate needing this. It sounds like a superior option if you can manage.

"Roads? Where we're going we don't need roads"
SnowLeopard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2010, 09:07 PM   #15
Virmagicus
Headed Out West

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowLeopard View Post
I bought the KOR steering brace to reinforce it afterward, but I think the Durango box would negate needing this.
Only if the rails are reinforced to help keep the box from flexing. The rails are the weak point. If you plan on running bigger tires along with moderate wheeling, it would be a good idea to do both.

Last edited by Virmagicus; 01-21-2010 at 09:20 PM..
Virmagicus is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.