Dodge dakota/truck parts? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Dodge dakota/truck parts?

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Flush Mount LED Bumper Lights, CREE

Unread 04-12-2013, 08:40 PM   #1
ThatONeJeePeR
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Dodge dakota/truck parts?

Will an oil pan off a 5.2/5.9l dodge Dakota/truck fit my 5.2? Have you ever used Rtv for an oil pan gasket? And finally will the tow hooks work? TIA

Unread 04-12-2013, 10:22 PM   #2
kensnelling
1998 ZJ 

About the oil pan, I honesty don't remember. Have a salvage yard check their Hollander manual, that will tell for sure.

As for the RTV in lieu of the gasket, in short, no, dont do it. The RTV will seal the side rails of the pan, but the gap on the front and rear is too large, the RTV will blow out.

And the tow hooks will need a bracket/thick steel reinforcement to attach to the frame stub. If hooked directly to the sheet metal frame they'll pull through first time you use them.

Ken
kensnelling is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2013, 01:16 AM   #3
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

no
no
and no.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2013, 04:17 PM   #4
95WhiteTrash
1995 ZJ 

i would think that the oil pan would fit seeing as you can swap in a 5.2 or 5.9 engine out of a dakota\durango without having to change the oil pan.
correct me if i am wrong but the magnum 5.2 is a magnum 5.2 regardless of what vehicle it is put in!
95WhiteTrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2013, 04:24 PM   #5
95WhiteTrash
1995 ZJ 

the problem the OP is having is that he "bottomed out/hit something" that crushed the oil pan right where the drain plug is and he cannot remove the drain plug now! anybody have any ideas on how to get a stuck drain plug out of a slightly crushed oil pan? we have tried a socket / box end wrench, ended up striping the plug, put some vice-grips on it as tight as humanly possible and tapped on them with a hammer to no avail! that plug isn't moving!
if we removed the pan and straightened out the dent from the inside do you think we would be able to get that plug out then?
any and all help is greatly appreciated!
95WhiteTrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2013, 05:57 PM   #6
Foundrydude
1995 ZJ 

Even though I don't trust oil change places....if the truck's a beater and the pan isn't leaking......

All future oil changes would be thru the dipstick tube at an oil change place. It'd live with the dent forever.

Whatever you do, don't fix the pan and reinstall. If it comes off, put a different one back on that was never damaged.

good luck
Foundrydude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2013, 06:01 PM   #7
dnuccio
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95WhiteTrash View Post
i would think that the oil pan would fit seeing as you can swap in a 5.2 or 5.9 engine out of a dakota\durango without having to change the oil pan.
correct me if i am wrong but the magnum 5.2 is a magnum 5.2 regardless of what vehicle it is put in!
IIRC some of them were front sump, our jeeps need rear sump. but i could be wrong
Unread 04-15-2013, 10:08 PM   #8
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

The pans are notched differently for starter and exhaust clearance.
There's also a mid sump version.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2013, 10:10 PM   #9
sharphintofemo
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95WhiteTrash View Post
NO. Made this mistake. Had to replace my engine and the salvaged engine came from a durango. Oil pan is different, oil sending unit had to be switched and the oil dipstick/tube also should be switched. Got the engine in and realized my mistake! Much easier to do when the engine is out. You won't be able to put the starter in, won't be able to connect the exhaust and the hood will snap the handle off of the dipstick.

98 ZJ 5.2
sharphintofemo is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.