Do I need a Transmission? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Do I need a Transmission?

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 01-21-2013, 08:36 PM   #16
MadMattster

The governor pressure stays zero even when moving. I tried changing the TCM tonight. Did not make any difference. I got a sensor and solenoid that i'm gonna try putting in tomorrow night. If that doesn't fix it. Then i'm outta ideas.

MadMattster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2013, 08:37 PM   #17
MadMattster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnicewan View Post
Are you checking gov pressure sitting still or moving. If you can read data, you should see a PID for commanded gov press, see if this pid follows actual gov press. FYI gov pressure should be zero at idle and it ramps up about 1 psi per MPH. I wouldnt really worry about the first few miles per hour but you should see a steady increase from 5-10+MPH and above. I find it odd that you might have a gov press problem and no codes. As primitive as these Jeeps and transmissions are/were, they seem to be pretty accurate on finding faults with gov pressure concerns.

The things that worries me the most is you saying it feels like there is a major brake drag feeling. Does this happen in all forward gears or just first gear, or when its in "D" while taking off? Even if there is a gov pressure concern, you should not feel a braking effect, that seems like there is a faulty or burned clutch pack causing a bind or an applied clutch pack or band when it should not be applied
It only has the brake drag feel or like its stuck in 3rd when put into to drive and taking off. You can shift it no problem from first, second and into drive. It down shifts and up shifts at hwy speeds with no problems either.
Unread 01-21-2013, 09:23 PM   #18
jnicewan
1995 ZJ 

Well, as far as shifting with the trans shifter into any range the only difference should be in first gear. Sitting still in "D" & "2" the trans should still be in first gear. Shifted into manual "1" you are still in first gear but the low/rev band is applied. The only thing the low/rev band is applied for is engine braking on decel. You should not feel any braking or dragging effect on acceleration period.

Since you are sure you are not building governor pressure and its staying at 0psi, the trans should be taking off in 3rd gear and you should be able to manually shift it into 2nd gear by shifting to manual 1st. Is that whats going on with the trans?
jnicewan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2013, 09:49 PM   #19
MadMattster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnicewan View Post
Well, as far as shifting with the trans shifter into any range the only difference should be in first gear. Sitting still in "D" & "2" the trans should still be in first gear. Shifted into manual "1" you are still in first gear but the low/rev band is applied. The only thing the low/rev band is applied for is engine braking on decel. You should not feel any braking or dragging effect on acceleration period.

Since you are sure you are not building governor pressure and its staying at 0psi, the trans should be taking off in 3rd gear and you should be able to manually shift it into 2nd gear by shifting to manual 1st. Is that whats going on with the trans?
Yep thats exactly whats going on.
Unread 01-21-2013, 10:10 PM   #20
jnicewan
1995 ZJ 

The problem I see is the default governor pressure is max pressure not 0psi, it sounds like you probably have max gov pressure but its indicating 0psi. Since you are reading 0 psi but the trans is doing 3rd gear starts I would say the problem might be in the governor pressure sensor/transducer. This is one of the 2 governor control parts inside the trans, the other being the gov press control solenoid. I would drop the pan and replace both of those parts before going any further.
Unread 01-22-2013, 02:37 AM   #21
KoreaZJ
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMattster View Post
It only has the brake drag feel or like its stuck in 3rd when put into to drive and taking off. You can shift it no problem from first, second and into drive. It down shifts and up shifts at hwy speeds with no problems either.
Mine had same symptoms when governor solenoid/sensor went bad. 3rd gear starts, manual shifting was normal.
KoreaZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2013, 07:37 PM   #22
MadMattster

Thanks guys. I went and pulled a pan at the local pick and pull and grabbed a sensor and solenoid. I'm gonna install them tomorrow night. I'll update what happens.
Unread 01-22-2013, 10:38 PM   #23
jnicewan
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMattster View Post
Thanks guys. I went and pulled a pan at the local pick and pull and grabbed a sensor and solenoid. I'm gonna install them tomorrow night. I'll update what happens.
The gov solenoid is fairly notorius for failures, most people replace the gov pressure sensor (transducer) with the solenoid as a set. Those aren't really parts I would want to get used though.

What I would do before installing them is clean them real well, especially the screen area on the solenoid, a lot of times these get gunked up and cause gov pressure problems. Use a shot or two of brake clean then dry them or soak some trans fluid on them so they dont soak in the brake clean.
Unread 01-23-2013, 09:32 AM   #24
creeperjeeper8
1997 ZJ 

I'm having the exact same problem, but mine is throwing off a check engine light code. The reader at sears said that it was the governor valve. Is this something I can fix myself? I actually just started a thread for it a few minutes ago without looking for one like it.. oops. Thanks for the help guys.
creeperjeeper8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2013, 06:17 PM   #25
MadMattster

So only one of the two sensors I got was actually right and I believe it was the pressure sensor that was right and the solenoid was wrong. I put it in anyway and nothing changed. So i'm going to order two new ones and try again.
Unread 02-18-2013, 06:13 PM   #26
MadMattster

So just an update for anyone that runs into this same problem.
I put in today brand new governor pressure sensor and solenoid today. Shifts like a dream now. Problem fixed. Yayy!!

Thanks especially for help jnicewan

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.