Do I need a Transmission? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Do I need a Transmission?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHut

Unread 12-25-2012, 10:36 PM   #1
MadMattster

Do I need a Transmission?

I have a 1993 GC, 4.0 with a 42RE. What's happening is when put it into drive it takes alot of gas to make it move. Feels like it's stuck in 2nd or 3rd gear when you go to take off or like there's major brake drag. I can shift it one, two and drive no problem. Goes into reverse no problem. I changed the fluid and filter but didn't help. I also had it scanned for codes, no codes. It was showing no governor pressure tho. Anybody else ever had this happen?

Last edited by MadMattster; 12-25-2012 at 10:50 PM..
MadMattster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-26-2012, 01:14 AM   #2
KoreaZJ
1994 ZJ 

Welcome to JF!

Mine had same symptoms when governor pressure solenoid and pressure sensor went bad.

With no governor pressure, possibly bad governor pressure solenoid and pressure sensor... which should throw a code.

Try the key trick and look for tranny fault codes on the OD ON/OFF lamp.
Learn how... HERE

Does TCM have power?
Check Fuse#F3(20amp) in the PDC under the hood. Check for +12v on both sides of the fuse.
KoreaZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-26-2012, 08:32 PM   #3
MadMattster

I tired the key code trick. All I get is code 55.
Checked fuses, all good. Power is there.
Unread 12-26-2012, 08:35 PM   #4
MadMattster

When it's cold first thing in the moring it does it briefly in reverse now too. No codes, nothing. Would a bad TCM at least throw a code?
Unread 12-26-2012, 09:26 PM   #5
LordHobbit
1993 ZJ 

If it is just for a brief moment, don't worry about it. Just let the fluid build up to pressure before you try to take off.

If its longer than 30 seconds, I'd say you may have other problems.

Isn't red the only color a vehicle should be?
If at first you don't succeed, use more speed.
LordHobbit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-26-2012, 11:34 PM   #6
papitt
1995 ZJ 

... I'm having trouble with my haul truck .. Dodge diesel ..2000 ... Now if it's cold mine is jumping up & down for 30 minutes before it warms up. Then all is good.
... So the last few mornings it has really been cold here so I have cranked the Truck & my Jeep also .. I put both into Neutral and let them idle for about 20 minutes .. This morning after I let them Idle they both shifted good and it was 17 this AM ..
We were on the cell phones talking about them .
.. When you put them in neutral the fluid can circulate and the trans will work much better.
papitt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-27-2012, 09:41 PM   #7
MadMattster

ya it's a brief moment for sure. The going forward issue I have no idea. Stumped on what to do.
Unread 01-10-2013, 03:28 PM   #8
MadMattster

Still haven't figured this out.
Unread 01-10-2013, 07:12 PM   #9
KoreaZJ
1994 ZJ 

Verify Throttle Valve cable is adjusted properly...

Verify return spring is connected properly...
(located left side of tranny above the pan)
KoreaZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-10-2013, 09:28 PM   #10
MadMattster

I checked the TV kick down cable and spring. Both are good. Even though no code I'm thinking it must be a bad governor pressure solenoid and pressure sensor. When put on the scanner it shows no governor pressure.
Unread 01-15-2013, 01:03 AM   #11
MadMattster

Nobody has had this happen before? Weird
Unread 01-15-2013, 01:14 AM   #12
misfit77
1996 ZJ 

This exact thing just happened to me 2 weeks ago. I mean exact. D was sluggish, 1-2-D worked fine, highway speeds fine, OD shifting fine, no clutch slippage,

The shop checked the bands and they weren't bad. They talked me into an entire rebuild.
Cost me an arm, a leg and a rectum, but problem solved and will outlast the rest of my jeep.

If you can afford it..take Korea's advice and replace solenoid.
misfit77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-15-2013, 06:27 PM   #13
papitt
1995 ZJ 

Well after I reread your 1st post I too would say you need the Governor pressure solenoid and the transducer along with a new filter and gasket your get to change your trans fluid .
.. When I was a service adviser at the jeep dealership . People came in & said it was taking off in 2nd gear and or stuck in 2nd .. Most of the times it was just in need of those 2 parts.
.. Being the genius I am .. I took mine to an cheapo shop a few weeks ago & I too got a complete rebuild and then got those 2 parts installed after my rebuild .. Only cost me a grand. But now my Jeep has several other problems after going to that shop.
papitt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-15-2013, 10:32 PM   #14
jnicewan
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMattster View Post
I checked the TV kick down cable and spring. Both are good. Even though no code I'm thinking it must be a bad governor pressure solenoid and pressure sensor. When put on the scanner it shows no governor pressure.
Are you checking gov pressure sitting still or moving. If you can read data, you should see a PID for commanded gov press, see if this pid follows actual gov press. FYI gov pressure should be zero at idle and it ramps up about 1 psi per MPH. I wouldnt really worry about the first few miles per hour but you should see a steady increase from 5-10+MPH and above. I find it odd that you might have a gov press problem and no codes. As primitive as these Jeeps and transmissions are/were, they seem to be pretty accurate on finding faults with gov pressure concerns.

The things that worries me the most is you saying it feels like there is a major brake drag feeling. Does this happen in all forward gears or just first gear, or when its in "D" while taking off? Even if there is a gov pressure concern, you should not feel a braking effect, that seems like there is a faulty or burned clutch pack causing a bind or an applied clutch pack or band when it should not be applied
jnicewan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-16-2013, 11:36 AM   #15
misfit77
1996 ZJ 

That's why I prefer to fix my own things. The Jeep dealer here crushed the door on my WK on the lift. The were supposed to program the tire size. Not sure why it was on a lift.

Quote:
Originally Posted by papitt View Post
Well after I reread your 1st post I too would say you need the Governor pressure solenoid and the transducer along with a new filter and gasket your get to change your trans fluid .
.. When I was a service adviser at the jeep dealership . People came in & said it was taking off in 2nd gear and or stuck in 2nd .. Most of the times it was just in need of those 2 parts.
.. Being the genius I am .. I took mine to an cheapo shop a few weeks ago & I too got a complete rebuild and then got those 2 parts installed after my rebuild .. Only cost me a grand. But now my Jeep has several other problems after going to that shop.
misfit77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.