do i need to recalibrate for tires? - JeepForum.com

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 09-25-2009, 08:58 PM Thread Starter
ronsaun
Registered User
2003 WJ 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: wise river, montana
Posts: 1,002
do i need to recalibrate for tires?

i am installing 235 85 16's and i know my speedo will be off. i was considering a super chip for both the fuel eco tune and the tire calibration. i have heard some rumblings that my 03 4.7 wj does not need adjusting because of the method the system uses to calculate the speed. if that is the case i dont want to spend $350.00 for the fuel eco program only. pretty expensive for me to get this wrong. help!!!!!!!!!!!

ronsaun is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 6 Old 09-25-2009, 09:43 PM
xJoshxx
Web Wheeler
 
xJoshxx's Avatar
2012 WK 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Burlington, Kentucky
Posts: 5,533
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronsaun View Post
i am installing 235 85 16's and i know my speedo will be off. i was considering a super chip for both the fuel eco tune and the tire calibration. i have heard some rumblings that my 03 4.7 wj does not need adjusting because of the method the system uses to calculate the speed. if that is the case i dont want to spend $350.00 for the fuel eco program only. pretty expensive for me to get this wrong. help!!!!!!!!!!!
what are your stock tire sizes


Original tire 245/70/16
Sidewall: 6.75 in
Radius: 14.75 in
Diameter: 29.50 in
Circumf: 92.69 in
Revs/mile: 683.57

New Tire 235/85/16
Sidewall: 7.86 in
Radius: 15.86 in
Diameter: 31.73 in
Circumf: 99.68 in
Revs/mile: 635.65

unless you are lifted these will rub like hell.

Sold4" Hybrid lift TeraFlex coils IRO Adjustable LA's Jks tracbar 1.25spidertrax spacers 265/75/16 Dura-tracs
Quote:
Originally Posted by moPowered View Post
The SRt-8's are a liberty design.
2011 WK2 ORA2 sold
2012 WK2 SRT8 - Current
99 WJ Limited Lifted.
2001 WJ stock 4.0 304k miles
xJoshxx is offline  
post #3 of 6 Old 09-25-2009, 09:48 PM Thread Starter
ronsaun
Registered User
2003 WJ 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: wise river, montana
Posts: 1,002
Quote:
Originally Posted by xJoshxx View Post
what are your stock tire sizes


Original tire 245/70/16
Sidewall: 6.75 in
Radius: 14.75 in
Diameter: 29.50 in
Circumf: 92.69 in
Revs/mile: 683.57

New Tire 235/85/16
Sidewall: 7.86 in
Radius: 15.86 in
Diameter: 31.73 in
Circumf: 99.68 in
Revs/mile: 635.65

unless you are lifted these will rub like hell.
i have a 2" lift i hope they dont rub! they are cooper lt atf 10ply 235 85 16
ronsaun is offline  
post #4 of 6 Old 09-25-2009, 09:56 PM
xJoshxx
Web Wheeler
 
xJoshxx's Avatar
2012 WK 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Burlington, Kentucky
Posts: 5,533
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronsaun View Post
i have a 2" lift i hope they dont rub! they are cooper lt atf 10ply 235 85 16
thoose are 32" tires... 2inches taller than you are now so you might have a little rub at lock to lock.

Sold4" Hybrid lift TeraFlex coils IRO Adjustable LA's Jks tracbar 1.25spidertrax spacers 265/75/16 Dura-tracs
Quote:
Originally Posted by moPowered View Post
The SRt-8's are a liberty design.
2011 WK2 ORA2 sold
2012 WK2 SRT8 - Current
99 WJ Limited Lifted.
2001 WJ stock 4.0 304k miles
xJoshxx is offline  
post #5 of 6 Old 09-26-2009, 03:43 PM
volvite
Registered User
1999 WJ 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Hill AFB / West Point
Posts: 1,935
Don't get the superchip. It wont' recalibrate the speedo. I bought one for that purpose and it didn't work, so I returned it. Not worth it.
volvite is offline  
post #6 of 6 Old 09-26-2009, 04:06 PM
urq2
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: California
Posts: 31
.
urq2 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Jeep Forums Replies Last Post
wanna recalibrate my climate control atsoca ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum 2 02-21-2009 03:59 PM
How to recalibrate the speedometer Z28Justin WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum 11 02-02-2009 05:43 PM
Need new tires...current tires too big? goldenarms ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum 6 08-13-2008 07:45 PM
Low fuel gauge / recalibrate !?!? 3labs ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum 5 11-13-2005 07:15 AM
Poll. tires with rims, or tires with lift. Derek33 ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum 2 03-15-2005 05:43 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome