Do I have a real fuel filter? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Do I have a real fuel filter?

Labor Day Sale!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 07-28-2009, 10:10 AM   #1
kmk108
1998 ZJ 

Do I have a real fuel filter?

My dad and I want to replace the fuel filter and maybe fuel pump in my 98 ZJ 5.2l Laredo. I read on one of the threads that i might have a pump and strainers in the tank and then a fuel filter on top of the tank. I looked at advance auto, autozone, and oreilly auto and none of them have any fuel filters for sale for my jeep.....so whats up? do I have a fuel filter or not?

White Jeep Club Member #108

2009 FA CUP CHAMPIONS

CAREFREE, WHEREVER WE MAY BE
WE ARE THE FAMOUS CFC
AND WE DON'T GIVE A F@#K
WHOEVER YOU MAY BE
CUZ WE ARE THE FAMOUS CFC
kmk108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2009, 10:41 AM   #2
gomes512
1994 ZJ 

Not sure about the filter, but I know NAPA sells the strainers.
gomes512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2009, 11:05 AM   #3
amonostereo
1993 ZJ 

If yours is like mine (I have no reason to believe not...) you have an external fuel filter on the drivers side of the fuel tank, forward a little bit. You should be able to see it clear as day if you crawl under there and take a look.

I replaced mine about a year ago. It was not exactly tricky. Just be sure to have a gallon jug or something to catch any fuel in the lines before you plug them.

Good Luck!
'93 5.2L V8, Laredo, 242 TC swapped from a 249, 3" Coils up front and Front coils in the Rear, JKS Adjustable Track bar, K&N Cold Air Intake with Amsoil filter, Rear cargo area shelving, and KOR's Steering Gear Brace, IRO's Over-The-Knuckle Steering, Top Light Rail, Top Tire Carrier... for now...
OR If you prefer acronyms: 93 5.2 V8, 249>242, 3" FC, ~2" RC, JKS Adj. TB w/ KOR TB Bracket, K&N CIA w/ Amsoil filter, Shelves, KOR SB, IRO OTK HD steering
amonostereo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2009, 11:06 AM   #4
amonostereo
1993 ZJ 

Oh, also, replacing the pump is also a good idea if your gas gage doesn't read correctly. The resistor tend to loose their functionality after awhile.
'93 5.2L V8, Laredo, 242 TC swapped from a 249, 3" Coils up front and Front coils in the Rear, JKS Adjustable Track bar, K&N Cold Air Intake with Amsoil filter, Rear cargo area shelving, and KOR's Steering Gear Brace, IRO's Over-The-Knuckle Steering, Top Light Rail, Top Tire Carrier... for now...
OR If you prefer acronyms: 93 5.2 V8, 249>242, 3" FC, ~2" RC, JKS Adj. TB w/ KOR TB Bracket, K&N CIA w/ Amsoil filter, Shelves, KOR SB, IRO OTK HD steering
Unread 07-28-2009, 11:22 AM   #5
kmk108
1998 ZJ 

I just got off the phone with the parts dept. at the dealership and he said there isnt a fuel filter on a 5.2l laredo. I have to replace the fuel pump, and that is the fuel filter. Anyone know where there is a writeup for a fuel pump change on a 5.2 zj?

White Jeep Club Member #108

2009 FA CUP CHAMPIONS

CAREFREE, WHEREVER WE MAY BE
WE ARE THE FAMOUS CFC
AND WE DON'T GIVE A F@#K
WHOEVER YOU MAY BE
CUZ WE ARE THE FAMOUS CFC
kmk108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2009, 01:00 PM   #6
amonostereo
1993 ZJ 

Dang, you are right. research @ rockauto.com shows that they stopped putting fuel filters in the 5.2L in '97. Funny, I thought they stopped in '99 when they changed the models....
Oh well. Good luck!
Unread 07-28-2009, 01:07 PM   #7
coonash

1969 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmk108 View Post
I just got off the phone with the parts dept. at the dealership and he said there isnt a fuel filter on a 5.2l laredo. I have to replace the fuel pump, and that is the fuel filter. Anyone know where there is a writeup for a fuel pump change on a 5.2 zj?
If it's the same as my 94ZJ it's easy(other than everything that has to come first.)
Remove your hitch/skid first.
Put a jack under your tank with a board to make it easier to handle the tank. Disconnect the filler lines.
unbolt the tank straps and slowly lower the tank. undo the wires/hoses from the fuel pump. take the locking ring off.
Then reverse order to instal.
This is an online forum, and the written word is the primary method of communication. If you make an effort to communicate clearly, people will be willing to communicate in return. If you don't make an effort, I don't see why I should - write like an idiot, and I'm going to think you're an idiot, that's just how things work.
USN Jeep Club Number 41
coonash is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2009, 01:15 PM   #8
Virmagicus
Headed Out West

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by coonash View Post
If it's the same as my 94ZJ it's easy(other than everything that has to come first.)
Remove your hitch/skid first.
Put a jack under your tank with a board to make it easier to handle the tank. Disconnect the filler lines.
unbolt the tank straps and slowly lower the tank. undo the wires/hoses from the fuel pump. take the locking ring off.
Then reverse order to instal.

Don't forget to disconnect the battery as well OP.
Virmagicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2009, 02:00 PM   #9
terryj
2011 KK Liberty 

On the 97 through 99 models use the in-tank fuel filter, wonder what engineer at Jeep came up with that great idea. The 2000 and up use am external fuel filter but it is part of the fuel pressure regulator.
terryj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2009, 04:57 PM   #10
SJZ
Victim of Hope & Change

1998 ZJ 

Location: . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . A shining city upon a hill
Quote:
Originally Posted by terryj View Post
On the 97 through 99 models use the in-tank fuel filter, wonder what engineer at Jeep came up with that great idea. The 2000 and up use am external fuel filter but it is part of the fuel pressure regulator.
Correct!
No external fuel filter on the '98.
'98 ZJ Laredo 5.2 Selec-Trac (249 to 242 swap)
'05 KJ Limited 3.7 Selec-Trac
'94 ZJ Limited 5.2 Q-Trac- sold, after 17 years
'67 International Harvester Scout 800; 345ci V8,T18 4spd, Dana 20 TC
'06 Chrysler 300C SRT8 6.1L
SJZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2009, 08:50 PM   #11
elmer_fud
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by terryj View Post
x3, you have an in tank filter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedycat View Post
I am not one to be changing lanes at 70 mph on a lifted truck on 33's, but since I am in Miami, I have to be prepared for the continuous influx of new drivers whose previous ride was a bicycle with wooden wheels.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FPKites View Post
badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, Mushroom!!! :D
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeeJay1997 View Post
Or just tie a 12 lb fish to a one foot pipe.
elmer_fud is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2009, 08:53 PM   #12
gatorayde
1999 WJ 

You mean 97-98 have in-tank filters. WJ's had a regulator/filter combo piece which isn't hard to change, but it is pricey as hell. Again, thanks to genius engineers.

I can see it now:

"Hey bob, check out where I put the fuel filters on the new jeep"
"LOL that's mean, you have to change it back"
"I can't, it's already in production"
"......."
gatorayde is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2009, 09:24 PM   #13
elmer_fud
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorayde View Post
"Hey bob, check out where I put the fuel filters on the new jeep"
"LOL that's mean, you have to change it back"
"I can't, it's already in production"
"......."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedycat View Post
I am not one to be changing lanes at 70 mph on a lifted truck on 33's, but since I am in Miami, I have to be prepared for the continuous influx of new drivers whose previous ride was a bicycle with wooden wheels.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FPKites View Post
badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, Mushroom!!! :D
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeeJay1997 View Post
Or just tie a 12 lb fish to a one foot pipe.
elmer_fud is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.