Do ECM's from Autozone need to be Flashed/Programmed? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Do ECM's from Autozone need to be Flashed/Programmed?

Save at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft topsECGS Labor Day Sale!!New DEAL OF THE WEEK at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!

Unread 12-10-2009, 03:12 PM   #1
jeepsgonewild

Do ECM's from Autozone need to be Flashed/Programmed?

I had an ECM replacement installed about 4 and 1/2 months ago for my 96 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 2 wheel drive for intermittent stalls at stop signs and while moving. No codes, spent a lot of money diagnosing, replaced ECM and not 1 issue since...until now. My question is what the hell is causing this? Is it an electrical short?

Fortunately, Autozone is giving me a replacement for free, and all they want is the core ECM.

So...my next question is...do I have to get the ECM flashed for my Jeep. Is it only the VIN that is programmed in?

I would assume that Autozone would already have the ECM flashed for my make and model Jeep, but I just want to know also if the Jeep dealer has ripped me off because they told me I needed to have the ECM programmed.

Autozone doesn't know whether it needs to be flashed or not. Their computer has no notes that it needs to be flashed. Unsuspecting people that are replacing an ECM must already know that an ECM requires flashing? Because I sure didn't. I assumed it was plug-and-drive hardware.

jeepsgonewild is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2009, 09:59 AM   #2
jeep0312
1996 ZJ 

Im not sure if this answers your question but i replaced my ecm with one from autozone about 6 months ago and to this date i have had zero problems. I never had it flashed either.
jeep0312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2009, 03:36 AM   #3
jeepsgonewild

I installed the ECM yesterday with success. Jeep started up like usual, but 10 minutes driving, the RPM's was glitching out again. This is very strange. The symptoms are exactly like I had with my first ECM, and when I put a new one in, I had no issues at all for 4 and 1/2 months. I am now leading to a possible ground wire somewhere. Perhaps, the battery ground wire has become corroded? I might even have to check the wiring harness for any breaks.
jeepsgonewild is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2009, 01:43 PM   #4
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

these things can sometimes have a healthy appetite for coils, coil feedback can fry a pcm from time to time.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-14-2009, 04:29 PM   #5
jeep0312
1996 ZJ 

i had already put on the new coil, ground wires, every freaking sensor then finally i took out the screws on the original pcm and it started to run better so i got a new pcm and bang not a problem since!
jeep0312 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.