DIY: Retaining Steering Wheel Audio Controls - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 04-01-2009, 12:52 PM Thread Starter
HeliDoc
2000 WJ 

DIY: Retaining Steering Wheel Audio Controls

Note: I'm putting this in here instead of the audio forum because it's specific to a WJ.

I recently installed an Alpine radio in the Jeep with Sirius and iPod connections. Even with the great new features, Trish has been complaining because the steering wheel controls don't work anymore. I would normally tell her to just use the buttons on the radio itself, but she's 9 months preggo and can't lean forward... So I got the steering wheel adapter from PAC.

I couldn't find any detailed information on this project, so I thought I'd make a tutorial. Each installation is different depending on your make/model of radio, and specific instructions can be found on the PAC website here. This tutorial just offers a few extra details that these instructions don't. I tend to forget to take pictures when I do a project like this, so forgive me if it's kinda vague.

Tip: READ THE DAMN DIRECTIONS. TWICE. THEN, attempt the installation. It would've been straightforward if I'd taken my time.

Requirements: Obviously you need factory steering wheel controls, and the aftermarket deck has to have a 3.5mm jack on the back. This isn't for audio, but specifically for steering wheel controls. The exception is some kenwood decks that just have a wire, and the PAC adapter has a provision for that.

1.) Pull the radio out of the dash, then pop off the trim panel above the steering column and below the gauges. Remove the gauge cluster. This gives you a lot more room to route the wires.

2.) Connect the red wire to the switch +12v wire on the radio harness, then connect the black wire to ground. Leave the 3.5mm jack disconnected until after you program the unit.

3.) Now it's time to connect the control wire. The wire you need is in the column itself. Remove the casing directly behind the steering wheel by first prying it apart gently with a flat screwdriver, then removing the phillips screw on the bottom.

4.) Locate the wiring harness on the clock spring assembly. it's a gray plug on the bottom.

5.) Isolate the red/yellow wire. This is the control wire from the steering wheel's audio buttons.

6.) Route the white wire through the dash and into the steering column. Cut the red/yellow wire, tape up the vehicle side of it, and splice the steering wheel side into the white wire.

7.) I put the control unit in the space under the gauge cluster. There's plenty of room, and if you ever need to reprogram it, it's easy to get to. Just remove one panel.

8.) Follow the programming instructions on the website listed above, then connect the 3.5mm jack on the radio. Make sure everything works the way you want, and you're done!

My only complaint is the response time. There's about a half second lag when you press a button, and the volume seems to shoot up and down pretty quick when you hold the button up or down. Ultimately, it's a minor inconvenience and I'm starting to get used to it.

I hope this helps!

2000 WJ Limited 4.7L V8 NP242
Current Mods: IRO 3", DT8000s, JKS TB, 31" Goodyears, Black OEM Headlights, HIDs, tint, Alpine w/ Sirius & iPod, Basslink, Yakima basket, CB, K&N, Dynomax
In the Works: Addco, JKS disconnects, Carolina Drive Shafts, Cragers, Superchips

( Photo Album )

Last edited by HeliDoc; 04-01-2009 at 04:22 PM. Reason: re-ordering steps for clarification
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 04-01-2009, 01:02 PM
rustynail
1996 ZJ 

I have an Alpine 9887 and I miss my controls. Are you happy with the PAC adapter, do the controls respond like the factory stuff did?

- Russ
5.9 ORVIS 33x12.5 MTR-Kevlar, 7" fr adj IR LA's, 7" rr adj RE SF SA's, adj JKS TB's, RE SB disc, RE Springs, JKS ACOS, 13" RS9000XL's, OME SS, NP231, Durango box, IR Sliders, IR Skid, 3" Flowmaster 70, K&N, Superwinch EPi9.0, Optima Yel, 2 air comp, Alpine, Garmin, Sunroof
post #3 of 13 Old 04-01-2009, 01:05 PM
rustynail
1996 ZJ 

Whoops I guess I should have read your last line

- Russ
5.9 ORVIS 33x12.5 MTR-Kevlar, 7" fr adj IR LA's, 7" rr adj RE SF SA's, adj JKS TB's, RE SB disc, RE Springs, JKS ACOS, 13" RS9000XL's, OME SS, NP231, Durango box, IR Sliders, IR Skid, 3" Flowmaster 70, K&N, Superwinch EPi9.0, Optima Yel, 2 air comp, Alpine, Garmin, Sunroof
post #4 of 13 Old 04-01-2009, 02:21 PM Thread Starter
HeliDoc
2000 WJ 

Yeah, it's not perfect but it works. I'm a little weird too, so having those buttons back there without being functional was kinda buggin' me. I'm happy now.

Keep in mind, the ZJ may be different, so look up the right instructions for your setup. The link I gave was specific to a WJ.

Current Mods: IRO 3", DT8000s, JKS TB, 31" Goodyears, Black OEM Headlights, HIDs, tint, Alpine w/ Sirius & iPod, Basslink, Yakima basket, CB, K&N, Dynomax
In the Works: Addco, JKS disconnects, Carolina Drive Shafts, Cragers, Superchips

( Photo Album )
post #5 of 13 Old 04-01-2009, 02:36 PM
tsconver
Web Wheeler

2003 WJ 

I installed the same adaprter on my Pioner HU and the response is a bit laggy, the volume always works, sometimes the other buttons do sometimes they don't. Any suggestions, was thinking about reprogramming it.

Speak softly and carry a big stick.

We have room but for one flag, the American flag . . . We have room but for one language, and that is the English language . . . And we have room for but one sole loyalty...and that is a loyalty to the American people. T. Roosevelt 1919

2003 Grand Cherokee 4.0L Laredo

My Build Thread

A few goodies
http://s257.photobucket.com/albums/h...umb55839/jeep/

2001 Kawasaki 1200 ZRX
A few Speed parts, fun to ride
http://www.zrxoa.org/

2006 Red Liberty
Wife's ride, pretty stock
http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/h...mage0008-1.jpg

http://www.cnc4x4.org/

http://www.treadlightly.org/

post #6 of 13 Old 04-01-2009, 02:51 PM Thread Starter
HeliDoc
2000 WJ 

I tried holding the button in for a shorter time when i programmed it, but it didn't help. I think the lag is just the time it takes for the unit to process the command and output it. Watch the LED on it and you'll see it takes about half a second for it to respond. And about the sporadic operation, it could be an issue with timing. I find myself tapping the button like I did with the OEM H/U and if I don't hold it down for a half second, it won't work.

( Photo Album )
post #7 of 13 Old 04-01-2009, 04:15 PM
tbone31

i installed a different pac setup, very similar installation but the difference in mine is it works like a remote. I put mine in the overhead computer console. a small hole is drilled for the laser sight. there is no delay with mine but if my sunroof is open and sun is shining direct on the deck it doesnt always respond. my alpine deck tilts so this resolves that problem.

White 2001 Grand Cherokee Limited, Tan Leather, Alpine Deck, 1001 bd and 851x RF amps, Diamond Audio components, 2 12inch RF Subs. 3inch Exhaust.

1993 zj laredo FOR SALE, check the for sale section for details. or email TL05uo@brocku.ca
post #8 of 13 Old 04-01-2009, 06:38 PM
rustynail
1996 ZJ 

I had just assumed that because the PAC plugs directly into the back of the Alpine HU, there would be no lag since it is not using a remote to send the signal. This was actually a small part of the reason that I wanted an Alpine HU. I'm pretty sure that there would be no difference between WJ and ZJ since they are both wired in the same manner. I'm a little disapointed. Oh well I was thinking of trying to make one of those buttons an overdrive off button anyway since I don't want to splurge for gears even though I should.

- Russ
post #9 of 13 Old 04-01-2009, 07:03 PM Thread Starter
HeliDoc
2000 WJ 

That's my experience with my H/U which is a couple years old. Your results may vary.

And if you bought an Alpine just for that, don't worry, you still made a good choice. I've had nearly every brand out there and I've never had a problem with Alpine. Even if you've just got factory speakers connected, it's a good unit.

( Photo Album )
post #10 of 13 Old 04-01-2009, 07:14 PM
baxy

great turorial pictures are always great to see
post #11 of 13 Old 04-01-2009, 07:20 PM
rustynail
1996 ZJ 

I clearly said that it was "a small part of the reason". I've had trouble with Alpine units in the past but they are still my favorite HU's.

- Russ
post #12 of 13 Old 04-01-2009, 07:37 PM Thread Starter
HeliDoc
2000 WJ 

( Photo Album )
post #13 of 13 Old 04-21-2016, 12:11 AM
loadtoad24

Garage
Old post new info

I know this is an old post but it was the closest post to helping me with my install, if you have a 2005 or newer jeep it has the can bus system, you will need PAC RP4-CH11 integration module, this has all outputs for can bus, Factory Amp support, and steering wheel control retention. Choose your Radio Manufacture before plugging it in, if you have a no name Chinese brand unit choose number 7 it is labeled pioneer/other in the manual. hope this helps anyone looking

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.