JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/)
-   -   DIY projects? (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/diy-projects-1249622/)

nicklopic 08-06-2011 11:45 PM

DIY projects?

hi, im wondering if anyone knows any DIY stuff i can do to my zj.
It's bone stock right now and id like to do stuff to it but, im a 17 year old making minimum wage so i dont have much to work with lol. so any ideas would be a great help

phitmein 08-07-2011 12:09 AM

Nick, welcome here, there are a ton of little things that can be done, to your Jeep, to improve it some ...

And if you do the work yourself it cost little ...

Tell us more on your Jeep, like it's miles and it's history ...

Phit

ratmonkey 08-07-2011 01:16 AM

What do you want out if it?

nicklopic 08-07-2011 12:15 PM

Its a 98 Zj larado, im the second owner, 156000 miles, its bone stock right now with 28 1/2 in firestone destination a/ts, the first owner it was a daily driver until about a year or two ago then it just became a car to get back and fourth to work, at the moment I need need a radiator (had two leaks, put dealer in it but want a new one anyway) shocks, and a gausket for the rear diff

As well as stuff I could do with it, if anyone knows of good parts for all that please let me know

paulyboy 08-07-2011 01:45 PM

Yeah look at the stuff i did mostly on budget because like you funds are always low but thats why i love my jeep so much because even homemade stuff is cool and looks good.Your best friend will be the classifieds here and local Craigslist. E bay is good too but be prepared to loose some stuff you want cause sometimes people are crazy and bid like they are millionaires.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/m...t-jeep-847157/

phitmein 08-07-2011 07:46 PM

I would change ALL fluids and filters first ...

ALL fluids includes greasing up the grease fittings and the brake fluid too ...

If I changed the tranny filter I would adjust the bands while I was in there ...

Check out the brake discs and pad conditions while you are at it ...

There are lots of good things, for your Jeep, that you can do on the cheap while
you save money for the costly stuff ...

Phit

iGotTheRunz 08-07-2011 07:49 PM

Phitmen - When you say ALL can you he specific?

Tranny? Coolant? Brake fluid? Differential and transfer case?

What else?

zander21510 08-07-2011 08:02 PM

If you want some mods to improve your jeep's power/effieciency slightly for super cheap, you can check my blog I think i put a couple of them.

Search on the forum for the 703 Injector mod, cut a hole in the front of your airbox (ONLY if you don't plan to go offroad, otherwise just the little grille snorkel thing on the front), remove the white restrictor in the airbox hose to your TB, clean your TB THOUROUGHLY with some TB cleaner, run 2 bottles of 20oz Techron fuel cleaner, change the fuel filter, check the distributor cap & rotor, change the spark plugs and wires. After all this, you will notice a bit better pickup and throttle response, and nearly eliminated hesitation.

phitmein 08-07-2011 08:28 PM

add power steering fluid to your list too ...

Runner, with those miles, I would change any fluid that I thought may be old ...

Most old rides have never had the neglected fluids like brake and steering fluid changed ever, they only have been topped off over the vech. lifetime ...

Moisture developes in them and causes them to underperform, not to mention rusting stuff like lines and such ...

I didn't mention his coolant, because he said, he had rad. problems and I figured it would be replaced ...

But coolant is a must, I do not trust coolant over 3 years old ...

I have dealt with having to replace freeze plugs, that rusted from the inside out, and you don't want to go there yourself trust me ...

I would top off my battery too if it is not a mant. free bat. ...

nicklopic 08-07-2011 09:44 PM

So I discovered today while I was trying to find a place for tow points..... the bottom of my rad is rotted.... so im gonna need a new one, so ill wait till the for fluids. But I do know that I need to change the fluids in the transfer case, tranny, and the differentials my plan atm is to get a 2in bb from rustys with shocks, and an exhaust so far (my shocks are SHOT. And my vat is rotted) I also wanna get a roof rack and a full size spare.

Does anyone know of any good aftermarket radiators? Ill probably get an oem one cause of cost... a

lso I have an issue with the transfer case, when I put it in 4wd, when I put it back it it wont go passed part time 4wd unless I slam it forward or if that fails, put it in reverse and go back a bit, the put it back in park and slam it forward so if anyone knows what's up with it please tell me (its a np242 with select track)

paulyboy 08-07-2011 09:48 PM

i dont know if its just my jeep too but you do have to give it some force to go in and out of 4x4. i have checked the fluids when i got it. Im going by the vic readout when i put it in and out and sometimes it dose not go back to rear wheel drive unless i push her forward hard couple of times.

sabzz 08-07-2011 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nicklopic (Post 11984490)
So I discovered today while I was trying to find a place for tow points..... the bottom of my rad is rotted.... so im gonna need a new one, so ill wait till the for fluids. But I do know that I need to change the fluids in the transfer case, tranny, and the differentials my plan atm is to get a 2in bb from rustys with shocks, and an exhaust so far (my shocks are SHOT. And my vat is rotted) I also wanna get a roof rack and a full size spare.

Does anyone know of any good aftermarket radiators? Ill probably get an oem one cause of cost... a

lso I have an issue with the transfer case, when I put it in 4wd, when I put it back it it wont go passed part time 4wd unless I slam it forward or if that fails, put it in reverse and go back a bit, the put it back in park and slam it forward so if anyone knows what's up with it please tell me (its a np242 with select track)

Sounds good. If you want a good muffler that will sound really good, (if you have the I6 make it sound more powerful than it is) go with a flowmaster 40 IMO. I think I'm going to get one for my 97 4.0 (I need a tranny before I do anything). Thats what is sounds like without a cat.

Theres with cat on.

I like the cat off sound myself (mostly because I don't have one on mine and don't want to spend the money until later)

millsy01TJ 08-07-2011 10:00 PM

hey there im not too familiar of your specific transfer case but i do know that some transfer cases have a sincro in them that is for easy shifting it could be that the syncro is gone in it or is going

freakinheep89 08-07-2011 10:27 PM

No synchros that I know of in a 242/231/249.

as for the hard 4wd shifts, 242's are notorious for it. If they serve a life of DD duty, and 4wd is rarely used, its often kind of difficult to shift between ranges. After a little use, it will loosen up a little, but you may need to adjust the linkage as well. There are tons of threads on it, a quick search will turn up what you need.

For a quick, cheap, first mod- get some tow/recovery points up front. Kevins offroad has a ZJ radiator support that has 2 shackles on it, its beefy, replaces the OE support(that is probably rottes along with your rad) and is only around $150 last I remember. Good luck and welcome to ZJs :cheers:

phitmein 08-07-2011 10:32 PM

Sorry guys, but I can't stop laughing about this ...

"at the moment I need need a radiator (had two leaks, put dealer in it but want a new one anyway)

Nick, I know what you mean bro ... Stealerships suck, but I would leave him in there cuz ...

Phit

The time now is 11:57 PM.