Distributor Cap Removal from 94 Grand Cherokee V8 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Distributor Cap Removal from 94 Grand Cherokee V8

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wHalloween Savings to die for!Offset Tie Rod Kit From RuffStuff!

Unread 08-21-2003, 05:14 PM   #1
ruth

Distributor Cap Removal from 94 Grand Cherokee V8

I'd like to remove the distributor cap from a 94 Grand Cherokee V8 but I can hardly get to the retaining screws. If I do get to them, there seems little room to take the cap off. Anyone help.

Thanks

ruth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-21-2003, 05:52 PM   #2
JEEPTECHNICIAN

take the cruise cable loose from the bracket and it will come out from behind the throttle body.
JEEPTECHNICIAN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-21-2003, 06:02 PM   #3
Stocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruth
I'd like to remove the distributor cap from a 94 Grand Cherokee V8 but I can hardly get to the retaining screws.
Hey, first post! Welcome to the boards!

Your 94 should be like my 95. Very tight fit but there's no tricks that I know of, just be patient and take your time. A fairly short screwdriver helps get the screws out, then work the cap out on the driver's side. It's a squeeze and some people remove a few things (throttle cable, I think), but I didn't remove anything and it went OK - but it's VERY tight! Dumb design IMO...

Good luck with yours...
Unread 08-21-2003, 08:58 PM   #4
RockPaws

I have found its best to remove one side of the ignition wires. At the same time replace it anong with the rotor.
[FONT=Trebuchet MS]01' Jeep TJ (Jeep #5)
3.5 RE Custom SuperFlex, Raingler, Kilby, Currie, Banks, Borla, American Racing, Custom mods, Always more in the works.
[URL=http://www.redrock4x4.com][COLOR=Blue]www.redrock4x4.com Rocks![/COLOR][/URL]
[URL=www.needhim.org/][COLOR=Blue]Need Him?[/COLOR][/URL][/FONT]
RockPaws is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-22-2003, 08:03 AM   #5
Swamp Boy
1993 ZJ 

Yeah I have done mine as well.. I thought it was easiest to pull all the plug wires. and then Just remove the cover.. reinstall the same way.. If the wires are off you are free to move it around much more...
Unread 09-05-2010, 06:35 PM   #6
tylersjeep
1994 ZJ 

94 grand cherokee v8 tune up what the ****

okay guys i need help with removing the distributor cap its a night mirror. i spent 8hr trying to get the ****ing distributor cap off there no room to get it out from behind there. i wont to shot the guy who made this. i broke two flash light and smashed them on the ground. please anyone if you have a video or pic on how to do this i'm sitting here with a dead car in my yard because i cant get the cap off please helpppp me before a start my car on fire. this is ****ing retarted
tylersjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-05-2010, 06:46 PM   #7
melk
1996 ZJ 

Notch one for the 4.0!
melk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-05-2010, 07:26 PM   #8
tylersjeep
1994 ZJ 

please help someone i have no idea how to get distributor out from the back of the engine? i spent 8 hrs today trying to get this thing out and broke two flash lights kick my car and threw a reachet at my house and i'm sitting here with a dead car. any help would be great plus pic or video i have a v8 5.2. the guy who made this should be shot
Unread 09-05-2010, 09:43 PM   #9
SBlackfoot
1998 ZJ 

First off, stop throwing stuff around. That's not helping.

Bad design maybe, but it IS doable. Two screws on the cap, undo the leads (label first if necessary), remove a cable from the throttle body if necessary, and there's room to wiggle it out. A pain in the butt for sure but way easier than say, doing a t-case swap. The most frustrating part is trying to reach it in the first place, it's a long stretch and I'm 6'4". lol
'90 Trans Am GTA, 5.0L/700R4.
'98 Oldsmobile LSS, 3.8L.
SBlackfoot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-05-2010, 10:21 PM   #10
tylersjeep
1994 ZJ 

94 grand cherokee v8 tune up

got any pic? and is there any other way? and ya. i spent 8 hrs today and it was the the biggest waste of time 30mins on spark plugs 3hrs trying to get the scrows out and 3hr and a half trying to get the cap out still no luck. i see that there are a lot of ways to do this? why does it take the sealership 45 to a hr to do this and i spent the whole day and still not done. the transfer case took me 15hr total. this job is going no where fast. I'm also 6'4 and ya. is there any other way to get this thing out without taking stuff apart? and does it have to come out the passanger side or can it come out the driver side. any pic would be wonderful or videos. i dont no what to take apart? I took the air filter off and some other stuff on the driver side no luck. again a pic or vdeo would be very helpful. thanks
Unread 09-06-2010, 11:27 AM   #11
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

there's room on either side. remove the tb if needed(it's not that big of a deal. i can pull mine in about 10mins). you will need to pull the air hat to get more room for you to work with.

remove the plug wires, label if needed. firing order is on the manifold. use a stubby screwdriver or nut driver to unscrew the bolts, pull upwards and tilt it while pulling out the pass side.

and a nut for you 4.0 guys, i've seen the screws corroded so bad on an xj that he had to drill them out. much nicer with nothing getting to the zj cap.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-06-2010, 12:31 PM   #12
gregs887
Up your butt Jobu

1995 ZJ 

Stubby phillips head screwdriver and bandages for your soon to be bloody knuckles. It helps to tape a list of curse words to the underside of the hood to use as a reference. I had to use a ladder and pretty much sit on the engine to reach mine. Good luck!
gregs887 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-06-2010, 01:33 PM   #13
NJSPEEDER
1993 ZJ 

I struggled with the same thing doing the first tune up on my '93 recently. As one of the other responses suggested, take the TV/cruise cables off, it makes a ton more space.
I couldn't get to it with a stubby screw driver so what I did was take a chinese phillips head that I had and cut the handle down. With the wires all pulled off and a short handle on a regular length screw driver it was easy.

-Tim
New Jersey F-Body Owners Association
www.NJFBOA.org
NJSPEEDER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-06-2010, 01:50 PM   #14
ZJ5point2GCL
1998 ZJ 

take all the wires off, take the throttle body off, stubby philips screw driver for the cap, cap comes out best on passengers side.
first time took me about 5 hours (my t-case on took 2) and i broke my wrist and dislocated me elbow in the process. But now i think i do it it all in under 45 mins
Unread 09-06-2010, 05:48 PM   #15
tylersjeep
1994 ZJ 

hey guys i got the cap off and did the tune up now i'm having this problem

i just did a tune-up on my 94 grand cherokee v8 5.2 and i'm getting a ticking sound and extreme vibration when i hit the gas padal nothing well i'm coasting. it did not do this before the tune up. i was wondering would it do this if all the wires are not hook in right? or firing order was wrong? i'm talking like hydro massage vibration plus buring smell and i sound like i'm drag racing. please heeeellllppp

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.