Distance/Expedition suspension - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Distance/Expedition suspension

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 05-05-2008, 11:46 PM   #1
paddingtonbear
1997 ZJ 

Distance/Expedition suspension

Ok, so i hope i'm not being to annoying by bringing up yet another suspension thead. However, i think my post is different in terms of what i'm looking for. So to keep it short and sweet i'm looking for a small lift kit 2-3 inchs that would allow me to put 31 inch tires in as well as carry enough gear (spair tires.. gas... etc...) to go a few days into a desert like terrain. Why i think this post is different from all the others ive looked at is the requirment, im not going to be crawling or beating my jeep up (im still gonna play rough) but im looking for something stiff (possibly increase payload?) handle alright and make my zj more aggresive. Its a 1997 4.0 automatic with the selec-trac.

I wanted to know if using my stock shocks and spacers was a good idea? Or if i should replace all four coils. Due to the fact that i want to if possible carry more in terms of weight, im thinking i need to get new springs and shocks instead of just spacers and shocks?

What are some good kits to reccomend? I have a set budget of 500 ish for 2-3 inchs. I know you get what you pay for, but id like to stick to that if possible.

Any advice?

Thanks again for looking into this

paddingtonbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2008, 12:56 AM   #2
the88thpianoman
2003 WJ 

I remember reading something about gas charged shocks that supposedly increase your payload capacity by about 1000 lbs... I just looked around to try to find them again, but couldn't. I did however find this, could be interesting

http://www.jcwhitney.com/AIR-LIFT-10...7273_10108.jcw
the88thpianoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2008, 01:07 AM   #3
paddingtonbear
1997 ZJ 

looks awesome, i have a 1997 zj and it looks like they make em for it. I'd just be concerned about durability (out in the middle of nowhere) and, it it would work on a lift kit, gonna call a shop that i just found carries em locally, in the morning.

Thanks

this may be part of my solution to my lift kit dillema
Unread 05-06-2008, 01:16 AM   #4
the88thpianoman
2003 WJ 

glad I could help
the88thpianoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2008, 01:51 AM   #5
MotoX5874
1996 ZJ 

http://www.ironrockoffroad.com/Merch..._Code=IR-Z_3LK

do it right, if you do get any amount of lift you are going to want to get new shocks.

the link above may be a little more than you want, but it's not excessive and will be much better than that air lift garbage, and supplies with you with necessities for lifts.

id suggest spending the extra money for the bilstein shocks if you can, at the very least upgrade to the doetsch tech shocks.
[url]www.ironrockoffroad.com[/url]
[url]www.kevinsoffroad.com[/url]
[email]kolak@kolakperformance.com[/email]
MotoX5874 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2008, 03:42 PM   #6
paddingtonbear
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoX5874 View Post
http://www.ironrockoffroad.com/Merch..._Code=IR-Z_3LK

do it right, if you do get any amount of lift you are going to want to get new shocks.

the link above may be a little more than you want, but it's not excessive and will be much better than that air lift garbage, and supplies with you with necessities for lifts.

id suggest spending the extra money for the bilstein shocks if you can, at the very least upgrade to the doetsch tech shocks.

Yea ive been looking at the IRO 3.5 and it looks like a lot of people recommend it. I also looked at the rustys (the rust/broken spring story scared me...) and other bb lifts...

So i have a question, if i got the IRO lift kit, would the fact that they only replace the front springs and not the rear cause an "sagging..." or uneven ride due to the wear and tear? my jeep has only got 60,000 miles on it (was sitting for a while) so im assuming the stock front shocks are still good?

Also if i got the kit what other upgrades besides shocks (bilstein) and other accesories are needed? Regearing?

Thanks

I guess im focusing on the IRO kit now, so any info from people who know it would be appreciated.
Unread 05-06-2008, 04:12 PM   #7
ArloGuthroJeep
Mr. Hyde!

2004 WJ 

Yes you will want to change your shocks at the same time as new springs. Regearing is not necessary for 31's.
Unread 05-06-2008, 04:26 PM   #8
paddingtonbear
1997 ZJ 

so im a bit of a newb as far as jeeps are concerned... I havn't decided if i'm going to work on it myself or have a shop do it. Im mechanically inclined (work on motorcycles and high end mountainbikes) so i may attempt it. As far as the sway bars/disconnects and all provided in the kit, is that enough to minimize the affects of the death wobble ive been reading about? Im assuming that only really happens on kits where its just 4 spacers and a pair of shocks... With the provided equipment should i expect to be in the clear? or is a transfer case something i should order as well?

Thanks
Unread 05-06-2008, 05:41 PM   #9
Virmagicus
Headed Out West

1998 ZJ 

You have a 242 TC. That is a great TC. No need for a new transfer case. After the lift just make sure you get an alignment with maximum "toe in" You should not have any problems with DW if you buy a good kit like IRO.

Last edited by Virmagicus; 05-06-2008 at 06:10 PM..
Virmagicus is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.