Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

discos?

2K views 38 replies 11 participants last post by  Texas ZJ1 
#1 ·
so, apparently, to run 33s on my zj with a 4.5" lift ill need discos? ok... i keep seeing "jks discos" this and that, but im a girl and im confused!!! what are discos?!?

#2 ·
discos are disconnects. they are meant to make it easy/quick to disconnect the front sway bar. you want to disconnect the sway bar on most trail for maximum flex.

at 4.5" you need longer sway bar links, so upgrade to some quality JKS Quicker Disconnects while you are at it. it only takes 30 seconds to disconnect your sway bar.

#7 ·
Walmart should have it.

Discos will not allow for BIGGER tires, sway bar disconects disconect your sway bar from your axle. What this does is allow for MORE flex, meaning your tire will go up into your fender much more than it would while it was connected, meaning that you would actually have less space for bigger tires.

For 33's and 4.5" and you plan on disconecting the sway bar/going offroad, you're going to need to do a significant amount of trimming and add in bump stops.

#9 ·
nierace said:
Walmart should have it.

Discos will not allow for BIGGER tires, sway bar disconects disconect your sway bar from your axle. What this does is allow for MORE flex, meaning your tire will go up into your fender much more than it would while it was connected, meaning that you would actually have less space for bigger tires.

For 33's and 4.5" and you plan on disconecting the sway bar/going offroad, you're going to need to do a significant amount of trimming and add in bump stops.
I give props and thumbs up to chipmunk for doing her homework...
Seems like BF is only concentrated in the "bigger is better" for the tires, and she is trying to reason how to really do it right.
Way to go..

#10 ·
thanks! see, i love my jeep, my bf is getting a lift and he doesnt really plan on going off road or anything too much, just the beach crawl! we only have mud and stuff around here but i dont want rocks cause that f's stuff up! i dont want to have to do alot of trimming, he already has! he put 33s on it stock! and we road down the street a lil, he rubbed twice, but he had already cut the bumper

#12 ·
32s will fit without rubbing. You'll have tire rub with 4.5 and 33s.

Hunter

#14 ·
33s will not work. disco stands for disconects as in sway bar disconects. they are the links between the swaybar and the axel, its there to control body roll (on road use). trimming would be just fine but but to fit 33s you would have to do a lot and since the GC is unibody its difficult and without rewelding seams you mess with the structual integrity of the truck. just pay the extra money and lift it higher or just go with smaller tires.

#19 ·
I really don't believe this.

Hunter

#21 ·
33s on a stock ZJ without any mods, wouldn't be able to turn without serious tire rubbing.

Hunter

#22 ·
#24 ·
I couldn't even drive mine with 6.5 and 35s before trimming.

Hunter

#26 ·
ok, so he trimmed the front fenders a lil with the dremmel, nothing in the rear... backed out of the drive way (just dirt and 6 in stumps), down then road, 1 left and 1 right turn and into the drive way, no problems! on the way back he cut it real hard backing out of our friends driveway and rubbed the control arm a lil and back in our driveway hit a bit hole and hit something?? in the back. he had to cut the exhaust to fit the tires on they were so wide... i think b4 we lift it he wants to put them back on to take pics 4 y'all. they barely have any tread on them but still!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.