Disabling the feature that turns on lights when you open a door - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Disabling the feature that turns on lights when you open a door

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 05-04-2013, 03:54 PM   #1
massarosareloud
1996 ZJ 

Disabling the feature that turns on lights when you open a door

So sometimes when I'm loading or unloading stuff, or sitting on the tailgate, I don't want the interior lights on. But I can't find an easy way to disable that. Ideally what I'd like to do is put a switch in the headlamp switch bank that just disables the interior lights completely. So regardless of the doors being open or not the lights stay off.

The obvious reason is unnecessary battery drain. Has anyone ever done anything like this before or can shed some light on how the system operates? Also, I don't really want to pull a relay out or anything, I'd like this to be an option that I have readily accessible (like through a switch).

Thanks in advance!

Unread 05-04-2013, 04:18 PM   #2
KoreaZJ
1994 ZJ 

Wire in a toggle switch to disable/enable Courtesy Lamp Relay located in Junction Block.

BR/LG wire on relay Pin#85 is control signal from BCM.
KoreaZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2013, 10:48 AM   #3
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

rear light in the cargo area will turn the lights on and off if you're just sitting there. they also go out after 5 minutes of inactivity with the door switches.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2013, 08:59 AM   #4
massarosareloud
1996 ZJ 

Thanks KoreaZJ, that's just what I was hoping for.

ratmonkey, are you saying that there is a switch on the rear cargo area lamp? I don't remember seeing one.
Unread 05-06-2013, 09:23 AM   #5
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

It is the switch.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2013, 09:56 AM   #6
capcyclone

1998 ZJ 

Just physically press the cargo area lens - it is on a spring activated button that turns the cabin lights off.
Unread 05-07-2013, 01:45 PM   #7
massarosareloud
1996 ZJ 

Ok, well mine doesn't turn off the cabin lights. Either its faulty, or we are thinking it does other things. So I was looking around about where to run the wire I need to splice into the relay, and I was imagining running it through the engine compartment, but the grommets (wrong word?, rubber things that encompass the wad of wires which run into the engine compartment) don't look like they have enough space for that. Got an idea? Drilling through the rubber seems like a bad idea, could hit wires or the frame, etc. Running it underneath the interior body plastic seems a likely candidate.

But, awhile back I reflowed all the solder in my headlamp switch bank, and it solved flickering fog lamps and flickering dash lights. But the problem it didn't solve is as follows: When you turn the running lights on, the gauges illuminate and the displays on the VIC, radio, and odometer dim. With mine, sometimes they dim, sometimes they don't, sometimes it goes back and forth while I'm driving, and moving the headlamp switch around lightly doesn't cause them to flicker, neither does moving the slider potentiometer up and down, so I don't think the contacts in the switch are dirty. Am I right in assuming that pin 8 on the following pinout is the signal that controls what I've described? Therefore I could trace that pin back to see if I missed a solder joint to reflow.

EDIT: I just saw in the FSM that the CCD bus receives a signal from the BCM telling displays (like the VIC radio etc) what brightness to be at. So what about the idea that solder joints in the BCM are broken, and therefore not transmitting the data through the CCD bus, therefore not controlling the brightness levels accordingly. Can anyone point me in the direction of the BCM so I can do some troubleshooting?
headlight-switch_2.png  
Unread 05-07-2013, 01:52 PM   #8
massarosareloud
1996 ZJ 

Also, any idea why this schematic shows a courtesy lamp switch? There definitely isn't one there, right? Or am I crazy.
headlamp-switch_2.png  
Unread 05-07-2013, 03:04 PM   #9
JeepNicholson
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by massarosareloud View Post
Also, any idea why this schematic shows a courtesy lamp switch? There definitely isn't one there, right? Or am I crazy.
Dimmer switch pushed all the way up should turn on the interior lights. Also, on my jeep I have to press the cargo light twice to get the courtesy lights to go out when the doors are open.

Do your dash lights get brighter when you push the slider up and get dimmer when you push it down? If not your dimmer slider is just shot. I've done the soldering fix twice and both times helped for a while, but sometimes the actual connections on the slider wear out. I just pulled one from a junkyard for like 6 dollars and called it a day.
JeepNicholson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2013, 03:27 PM   #10
zander21510
Lord of Retro Machines

1995 ZJ 

All your other doors have to be closed for the tailgate lamp button to turn off the interior lights.

Slide the dimmer all the way to the left should either turn them off or put them at minimum brightness.
My ZJ Injector Swap HowTo
zander21510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2013, 08:58 PM   #11
massarosareloud
1996 ZJ 

I understand how the slider dimmer switch works, and I'll be sure to try out the cargo lamp switch again. But my question is that for whatever reason sometimes the displays on my VIC, radio and odometer don't dim with the rest of the dashboard. And it is only those displays. Its not necessarily a huge problem but if it fixable, why not? I find it odd that those diplays behave differently than the rest of the dashboard illumination, and was wondering if anyone else experienced that or has a solution for it.
Unread 05-08-2013, 12:02 AM   #12
KoreaZJ
1994 ZJ 

Courtesy Lamp Switch ON/OFF is at the end of the dimmer slider.

BCM is working or you would have lots of stuff not working.

Headlamp switch dimmer control output on Pin#8 sends dimmer request signal to BCM, then BCM controls hard-wired dimmer component lighting via Panel Lamp Driver circuit... including cluster, switch pod, HVAC panel, lighter, ash tray.

VIC, radio, trip meter dimming are controlled by BCM over CCD bus when BCM senses park/headlamps are on. Perhaps BCM has intermittent input on Pin#17 which senses if park/headlamp lights are on.
KoreaZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2013, 09:04 AM   #13
massarosareloud
1996 ZJ 

The courtesy lamp on off switch makes sense now that you mention that its on the end of the dimmer.

Ok, I'll take a look at the BCM and see if I can find a messed up solder joint, or if the pin is broken, something along those lines. Thanks for your input!

EDIT: The FSM says the BCM is located in:
Quote:
The BCM is mounted under the left end of the
instrument panel, behind the instrument panel support
armature and below the left switch pod.
Left switch pod is underneath the headlamp switches right? Down near the pedals when you are driving?
Unread 05-15-2013, 08:55 PM   #14
massarosareloud
1996 ZJ 

I couldn't even find the BCM. Mainly because I don't know what I'm looking for.

I did pull the relay from the junction box and was kinda disappointed with the fact that the lights on the bottom of the door panels don't turn off with the courtesy lights, and I realized that I can't hear any relays clicking at all when a door is opened. So that kinda sucks.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.