Dim Dash - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Dim Dash

We have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while suppliePremium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGRing & Pinion's, Lockers, 4340 Axles, Install Kits, Ba

Unread 09-04-2003, 03:11 PM   #1
obtuce duce

Dim Dash

Hello all,
I have a 98 Grand Limited. When I turn the headlights on, the dash lights are very dim. Its like they are adjusted all the way down to the lowest position, it is hard to read the instruments. The center of the dash (radio, heater controls, ect.) is even less visible. Moving the adjuster makes no difference at all. Fuses are good. Anyone had this problem? What was the solution?
Thanks in advance.

obtuce duce is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-05-2003, 10:00 PM   #2
JAURS

I have the same problem with my 1996 GC Limited. Whenever I drive over a bumpy surface (I go off-roading quite frequently), my dash lights flicker or dim. I don't know the solution to this problem except to replace the dimming switch located near the light switch on the dashboard. I find that by trying to press in my dimming switch and keeping it almost all the way up prevents the dash lights from dimming all the time. Despite doing this, they still occassionally flicker, but not as often. Hopefully this makes some sort of sense as I am typing late at night right now. Good luck on solving your problem.
JAURS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-06-2003, 09:37 AM   #3
obtuce duce

Yeah, I'm leaning toward the switch. Took it apart, cant get any continuity or resistance on it at all.
Thanks
obtuce duce is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-06-2003, 10:33 AM   #4
jplush76

I was just about to post something about that. All my dash lights (instruments, climate controls) were flickering on and off like crazy the other day.

I've been trying to figure out what it might be
jplush76 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-06-2003, 01:51 PM   #5
Harald

Think dimmer switch is the best guess. This switch tradtionally consists of a spool with one lead, and a "pick up" with the other lead. If it over time becomes a small distance between pick up and spool, you will have exact the error you describe.
Harald is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.