Different Axle Swap Question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Different Axle Swap Question

Introducing MONSTALINER UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 09-22-2009, 10:40 AM   #1
Orvis97
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Different Axle Swap Question

I have a '97 Grand Cherokee Orvis, and my father has a '95 Grad Cherokee Larado. Both have the towing package, Quadratrac transfer case, 3.73 gears, and the 5.2 V8. Last week he picked his up from having the dealer rebuild the front axle, but as of today the Jeep has started to leak gas into the oil and the rear main started to leak. This is the Jeep we tow behind the motorhome, so we need it to be really reliable, because of that he is planning on selling his '95. Currently my front axle is in desperate need of a rebuild, including a new ring and pinion, so I wanted to know if his axle would be a direct swap for mine, and if not what is difference and would need to be addressed?

Thanks in advance.

2010 JK Unlimited - stock - Wife's Ride! - SOLD
1997 Grand Cherokee Orvis V8 ------ 2.25" BB - SOLD!
Orvis97 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-22-2009, 10:45 AM   #2
the88thpianoman
2003 WJ 

To my knowledge it should be a direct swap. They are both ZJ D30 axles, and since you both have the same T case, it will be the same drive shaft and thus pinion yoke. I'm not the expert on this, but I'm about 99% certain it's a direct bolt in swap.
2003 WJ in Jeep Green Metallic, 4.0/242/4.10's. 4" Teraflex springs w/ RE monotube shocks and IRO short arms, cheap intake w/ amsoil filter, 2.5" hi flow cat and back exhaust, lots of lights and other misc crap.

Check out my build thread here: Life lessons and budget build
the88thpianoman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-22-2009, 10:54 AM   #3
Orvis97
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by the88thpianoman View Post
To my knowledge it should be a direct swap. They are both ZJ D30 axles, and since you both have the same T case, it will be the same drive shaft and thus pinion yoke. I'm not the expert on this, but I'm about 99% certain it's a direct bolt in swap.
That's where I am, just about 99% positive it is a direct swap. The problem is that I am at work, he is trying to decide what to do with his and wants to know if I want to do the swap, I told him I wanted to do it so he didn't sell his right away, I just wanted some sort of agreement that I was thinking correctly.

Thanks

Last edited by Orvis97; 09-22-2009 at 10:54 AM.. Reason: spelling
Unread 09-22-2009, 10:55 AM   #4
the88thpianoman
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orvis97 View Post
That's where I am, just about 99% positive it is a direct swap. The problem is that I am at work, he is trying to decide what to do with his and wants to know if I want to do the swap, I told him I wanted to do it so he didn't sell his right away, I just wanted some sort of agreement that I was thinking correctly.

Thanks
I think you'll be in good shape to count on it being a direct bolt in.
2003 WJ in Jeep Green Metallic, 4.0/242/4.10's. 4" Teraflex springs w/ RE monotube shocks and IRO short arms, cheap intake w/ amsoil filter, 2.5" hi flow cat and back exhaust, lots of lights and other misc crap.

Check out my build thread here: Life lessons and budget build
the88thpianoman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-22-2009, 06:22 PM   #5
sandman
1993 ZJ 

at worst youll need to shorten your front drive shaft and possibly change out the pinion flange but all this stuff can be taken off the donor, front DS, pinion flange and t-case flange. a simple look at the front DS set up will be able to tell you if youll need to mess with that stuff too.
Unread 09-23-2009, 01:00 AM   #6
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

The 95 is most likely a long pinion d30 and yours is a short pinion. Swap the drive shafts too.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-23-2009, 05:20 AM   #7
Orvis97
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for all the input, is there any reason that I would not want to do this swap?

Last edited by Orvis97; 09-23-2009 at 05:21 AM.. Reason: spelling
Unread 09-23-2009, 07:37 AM   #8
Orvis97
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratmonkey View Post
The 95 is most likely a long pinion d30 and yours is a short pinion. Swap the drive shafts too.
Is it going to matter that I have the Up Country suspension and he dosen't when considering the driveshaft length?
Unread 09-23-2009, 12:35 PM   #9
sandman
1993 ZJ 

no, theres no reason not to do the swap.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.