Difference between Quadradrive and Quadratrac? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Difference between Quadradrive and Quadratrac?

SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail ANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete

Unread 06-22-2009, 11:40 AM   #1
vanderputtens
1998 ZJ 

Difference between Quadradrive and Quadratrac?

And what is best for what purpose?

I own a 1998 ZJ 5.9 fitted with Quadratrac and use it solely on the road by the way...

vanderputtens is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2009, 11:46 AM   #2
little_Jeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanderputtens View Post
And what is best for what purpose?

I own a 1998 ZJ 5.9 fitted with Quadratrac and use it solely on the road by the way...
Quadra Drive System and Vari lock axles was an option on the 1999 (WJ). Basically, it is an all wheel drive system with a lo range, no 2wd option. The vari lock axles shift pulling power from one wheel to another depending upon which wheel has the best traction. I think the WJ's use the 247? Transfer case.
little_Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2009, 11:46 AM   #3
nocluejimbo
2012 MK Patriot 

Well, for one, Quadradrive was only available on the WJ and WK.

The difference between Quadradrive and Quadratrac II on the WJ was the addition of Vari-Lok limited slip differentials in the front and rear on Quadradrive. Both systems used the same NV247 transfer case.

I believe WKs used electronic LSDs instead.

As for the ZJ, there is a chance you have a rear limited slip differential, which is about as close stock as you would come to Quadradrive.
nocluejimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2009, 11:50 AM   #4
vanderputtens
1998 ZJ 

Yes indeed I have the LSD-option!

Used to run my previous 5.9 RWD and although the steering improved (smoother I guess you could say) and the car was quite a bit faster in a straight line, I do prefer the surefootedness of the 4x4 system in the rain and bad roads.
vanderputtens is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2009, 11:55 AM   #5
little_Jeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanderputtens View Post
Yes indeed I have the LSD-option!

Used to run my previous 5.9 RWD and although the steering improved (smoother I guess you could say) and the car was quite a bit faster in a straight line, I do prefer the surefootedness of the 4x4 system in the rain and bad roads.

Speaking from experience, my 00 WJ with the Quadradrive system loves the ice and slick roads. When it was new, I wheeled it some. Traction never seemed to be an issue, ground clearance and too much sheet metal were issues. I own three Jeeps (WJ, XJ, & a TJ)... on snow/ice covered roads, the WJ is by far the best of the three.. I mean the other two don't even come close.
little_Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.