Diff. help - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Diff. help

Eliminate Hood Flutter!!!WJ Shackle Tabs: Tow-Hook Replacements2014 Spartan Locker Special - While Supplies Last! Dana 3

Unread 08-01-2003, 11:35 PM   #1
bugman53

Diff. help

i have a 1994 JGC with 145k the only problem is when i turn the wheel it kinda wont’s to fight me just a little but then it make a clunk sound and it frees up. It feels like the diff is unlocking or something? Did someone put lockers in it. possible VC? Also how do i know if i have limited slip or not. I am pretty sure both wheels spin.

Sorry but one more question my jeep wont’s to wonder and daunt wont to stay strait some one said adjust the steering box. Is it just worn tie rod ends or something.

Unread 08-02-2003, 02:15 PM   #2
RockPaws

If you have a limited slip rear diff, this will happen. It usually wants to push forward while your trying to turn. It will scrub the tires a little more. I never heard a clunck, maybe a chadder. If you do have LS make sure you have the friction modifer added to the gear oil. I recomend Red Line 85w140 gear oil for the ZJ rear differential. It comes with the friction modifer allready inthe oil.
To make sure you have LS, jack up the rear. Parking brake off and in park position. if you can't turn a tire.. its LS.
[FONT=Trebuchet MS]01' Jeep TJ (Jeep #5)
3.5 RE Custom SuperFlex, Raingler, Kilby, Currie, Banks, Borla, American Racing, Custom mods, Always more in the works.
[URL=http://www.redrock4x4.com][COLOR=Blue]www.redrock4x4.com Rocks![/COLOR][/URL]
[URL=www.needhim.org/][COLOR=Blue]Need Him?[/COLOR][/URL][/FONT]
RockPaws is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-02-2003, 02:20 PM   #3
RockPaws

as far as the steering wonder. Check out the system while someone tirns the steering wheel back and forth about a 1/8 of a turn. This way you can inspect the steering system for any movement. I have found the first part to go out is the track bar. If its the steering gear box, I haven't had much luck adjusting them on the ZJ. usually just replace it. If its in need of replacement, replace the pump and hoses at the same time.
[FONT=Trebuchet MS]01' Jeep TJ (Jeep #5)
3.5 RE Custom SuperFlex, Raingler, Kilby, Currie, Banks, Borla, American Racing, Custom mods, Always more in the works.
[URL=http://www.redrock4x4.com][COLOR=Blue]www.redrock4x4.com Rocks![/COLOR][/URL]
[URL=www.needhim.org/][COLOR=Blue]Need Him?[/COLOR][/URL][/FONT]
RockPaws is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-03-2003, 12:19 PM   #4
bugman53

Thanks for the help

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.