diff fluid and transfer case - stealership only ??? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > diff fluid and transfer case - stealership only ???

Poison Spyder Ricochet RockersROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 04-22-2006, 09:30 AM   #1
sanboy

diff fluid and transfer case - stealership only ???

tranny fluid i know is atf 4 + which is basically only at the stealerships.. if you go to a place like Jiffy Lube or ect . they dont care it

what about

Diff Fluid or transfer case fluid changes... is that a stealership product only as well ......... i just dont have the time right now to do it myself .....

this whole " stealership or on your own " because of a certain " fluid " is something i didnt realize before i bought this GC .. in hindsight never would have done it if i knew it was all " properitory" fluids and ect .. makes it a real pain in the a$$$$$$....

thanx for any help someone can give me ..

take care

also any idea in cost and ect

Unread 04-22-2006, 09:43 AM   #2
EMTimZJ
GSMW!

1994 ZJ 

You can do whatever brand diff fluid you want. Make sure you add the friction modifier for LSD's. If you have quadra-drive I forget if that needs an additive, check out www.wjjeeps.com

For the tanny, Mobil 1 has ATF+4, which you can get elsewhere.

The only dealership only fluid is the 247 transfercase fluid.

As far a fuel fluid, you will probably have to go to a licensed gasoline dealer

Project TORTOISE Build-up thread

JCR Rock Sliders Ford Taurus E-fan Install Dana 20 Twin Stick
EMTimZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2006, 01:22 PM   #3
JeepsterLR
1999 WJ 

If yours is a 2001 GC you can use the ATF +3 if thats what came in it from the factory. BUT Jiffy Lube doesn't carry that either. They use Dexron III and some $#i+ they claim makes it +3 compatible.

Valvoline and Mobil make +4 but so far one one here stocks it. I'll make do with +3 for my 99 till they do.

The 247 fluid is reported to be a high viscosity version of +4. Doubt it will ever be available in anything but the Mopar brand since its such a low volume product. But ya never know.
JeepsterLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2006, 01:51 PM   #4
TJ_Firefighter

i looked this up in my wife's owner's manual last night Dexron III is what is used for the 247.....ATF +3 or +4 for the trans (redline C+ ATF) and the ownder's manual says 75w90 for front diff and 74w140 for the rear plus friction modifier (quadra-drive also)
33x12.50 Dunlop RV
[B][COLOR="Wheat"]Kahki Jeep Club Member #42[/COLOR][/B]
[COLOR="White"][B] U.[COLOR="Orange"]S.C.G[COLOR="White"]. J[COLOR="Blue"]ee[COLOR="White"]p Club Member #1[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR][/B]
[COLOR="Red"][B]Firefighting Jeep #2[/B][/COLOR]
Soon to come: HomeFab Rockers
TJ_Firefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2006, 03:38 PM   #5
txtumbleweed
2000 WJ 

Use Only 247 TC FLuid From MOPAR

Early '99 WJs came from the factory with the wrong TC fluid and the owners manuals are incorrect. Here is the TSB that applies. You should only use the MOPAR fluid for the TC case.
++++++++++++++++++++
210999 - NV 247 TRANSFER CASE SHUDDER
Date: 06/04/99 (supersedes 211798 dated 12/11/98)

Model year(s): 1999

Description: This bulletin involves a new transfer case fluid, a revised repair procedure, and a change to the Maintenance Schedules "A" and "B".

NOTE: **THIS BULLETIN APPLIES TO VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH THE NV 247 TRANSFER CASE.

NOTE: **VEHICLES BUILT ON OR AFTER APRIL 9, 1999 HAVE THE NEW TRANSFER CASE FLUID ALREADY INSTALLED IN THE NV 247 TRANSFER CASE FROM THE ASSEMBLY PLANT.**

Details: A shudder and/or low pitched grunting noise may be present in the transfer case. The condition is a slip/stick condition in the progressive coupling assembly. The condition may be present at slow speeds, and/or during tight steering maneuvers such as parking or backing out of a driveway.

The new transfer case fluid has several different characteristics from that of ATF- 4. Some of those characteristics are: a yellow color, a slightly higher viscosity, and a sweet (new vinyl like) odor. These characteristics may vary depending on how well the transfer case was drained prior to refill.

If a customer describes this condition, perform the Repair Procedure.

NOTE: **THE RECOMMENDED MAINTENANCE INTERVAL FOR SCHEDULED SERVICE TO THE TRANSFER CASE FLUID IS CHANGED. FOR SCHEDULE – "A" (FOR NORMAL OPERATING CONDITIONS), IT IS RECOMMENDED THAT THE TRANSFER CASE FLUID BE DRAINED AND REFILLED EVERY 22,550 MILES OR 18 MONTHS. FOR SCHEDULE – "B" (OTHER THAN NORMAL OPERATING CONDITIONS), IT IS RECOMMENDED THAT THE TRANSFER CASE FLUID BE DRAINED AND REFILLED EVERY 21,000 MILES.**

Parts required:
2 quarts 05016796AA Fluid, Transfer Case**

NOTE: THE USE OF ANY FLUID OR ADDITIVE, OTHER THAN TRANSFER CASE FLUID 05016796AA, IS NOT RECOMMENDED.

Repair procedure:

1. Raise the vehicle on a hoist.
2. Drain the transfer case fluid as completely a possible. Install the drain plug.

NOTE: **IT IS IMPORTANT TO MAKE SURE ALL FLUID IS COMPLETELY DRAINED FROM THE TRANSFER CASE PRIOR TO REFILL.**

3. Fill the transfer case with MOPAR fluid, **P/N 05016796AA**, until the fluid runs out the fill plug (1.6 liters – 1.7 quarts). Install the fill plug.

4. **Drive the vehicle in a safe area and manner. Perform small radius (tight) circles. Even when the shudder condition is no longer present, a minimum of five ( 5 ) left turn circles and five ( 5 ) right turn circles must be completed.

Performing "figure 8’s" may be more convenient as long as the circles are small.**

Performing circles in reverse will cause the discs, within the progressive coupling of the transfer case, to move in a direction that is opposite to their movement when the vehicle is driven in a forward gear. This may be of added assistance with displacing the new fluid within the progressive coupling. Drive the vehicle in a safe area and manner.**
Unread 04-22-2006, 03:41 PM   #6
txtumbleweed
2000 WJ 

ATF 4 Is the Preferred Tranny Fluid Too For WJs 99-04

Here is the TSB advises the switch over to ATF 4.
+++++++++++++++
2100404 - AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION FLUID USAGE ATF+4®
Date: 03/16/04 (supersedes 2100601 dated 6/29/01)

Model year(s): 1999-2004

Description: Information pertaining to automatic transmission fluid usage ATF+4®.

Details:1999-2002 Grand Cherokee. A new transmission fluid (ATF+4® Type 9602) has been developed and is being used as factory fill for all vehicles with Chrysler automatic transmissions. Until now, vehicles originally filled with ATF+2 or ATF+3 were to be serviced with ATF+3. Effective immediately, it is recommended that all vehicles with Chrysler automatic transmissions (except for 1999 and earlier minivans) be serviced with ATF+4®.

NOTE: ATF+4® MUST always be used in vehicles that were originally filled with ATF+4®. ATF+4® is compatible with ATF+3 and can be used to top off vehicles that currently have ATF+2 or ATF+3. DO NOT use ATF+2 or ATF+3 to top off vehicles that have ATF+4® fluid.

Benefits:
Better anti-wear properties
Improved rust/corrosion prevention
Controls oxidation
Eliminates deposits
Controls friction
Retains anti-foaming properties
Superior properties for low temperature operation

Fluid color:
Mopar ATF+4® is a World Class Fluid having exceptional durability. However, the red dye used in ATF+4® is not permanent; as the fluid ages it may become darker or appear brown in color. ATF+4® also has a unique odor that may change with age. With ATF+4® fluid, color and odor are no longer indicators of fluid condition and do not support a fluid change.
Unread 04-22-2006, 04:58 PM   #7
Woody
Retired back to Bowties

Another reason I like my ZJ. I don't have to buy anything from Mopar.
Unread 04-22-2006, 05:01 PM   #8
rrubio
Web Wheeler
2001 WJ 

You can get synthetic if you like.
rrubio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2006, 06:31 PM   #9
sanboy

the question wasnt really answerd

so basically i have to go to a stealership to get the work done .. correct ?
i cant just go to a jiffy lube or ect like 90 percent of the population who drive domestic vehicles
Unread 04-22-2006, 06:53 PM   #10
Woody
Retired back to Bowties

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanboy

i cant just go to a jiffy lube or ect like 90 percent of the population who drive domestic vehicles

YUP! Remember Chrysler is now Diamler Chrysler and you can't take a Benz anywhere besides a dealer.
Unread 04-22-2006, 07:40 PM   #11
doyll

$teeler$ship is no longer the only place to get ATF +4.

Valvoline is now selling ATF +4 in many parts stores. Kragen and Checkers have it. I think Autozone has it too.

Good Luck!

NEED: adjustable upper front control arms, front track bar frame bracket for JKS/RE bar, adjustable rear track bar, Addco rear sway bar, winch
doyll is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2006, 08:29 PM   #12
Reswob
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody
YUP! Remember Chrysler is now Diamler Chrysler and you can't take a Benz anywhere besides a dealer.
Wow, you can't even just buy the fluids from MOPAR and do it yourself? Ouch.

#27. Shirts get dirty. Underwear gets dirty. Pants? Pants never get dirty, and you can wear them forever.
Reswob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2006, 09:28 PM   #13
LEDFoot
1999 WJ 

Mopar now licenses the ATF+4 fluid so that other manufacturers can sell it. But it's still hard to find. Anytime you see something specifying ATF+3 you should use ATF+4 since it supercedes it.

For your transfercase, if you have Quadra TrackII or Quadra Drive you need the NV247 fluid from Mopar (don't worry, it's not that expensive).
SelecTrac uses dexronIII fluid.
For the diffs you can use whatever gearlube you like. Personally I would go with something synthetic (like Mobil1).

If you tow you should put 75W-140 in the rear, otherwise 75W-90 is fine.
If you have Quadra Drive you should also put 75W-140 both front and rear.
Also the VariLok differentials (Quadra Drive) and the TracLok (optional limited slip rear for non Quadra Drive) requires a friction modifier to be added to the differential fluid.
Also available from the dealer ~$7 each and you need one per diff (remember to put it in _before_ you fill it up with gear lube).
LEDFoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2006, 10:06 PM   #14
SET2JET

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanboy

if you don't want to do the work yourself you can get your fluids at the dealer and then take it to jiffy
SET2JET is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2006, 10:48 PM   #15
TJ_Firefighter

redline synthetic oils makes "Redline C+ ATF " it is for all fluids ATF+4, mopar 7167 and Mopar 9602...it is a full synthetic, and costs $7.95/quart from summit
33x12.50 Dunlop RV
[B][COLOR="Wheat"]Kahki Jeep Club Member #42[/COLOR][/B]
[COLOR="White"][B] U.[COLOR="Orange"]S.C.G[COLOR="White"]. J[COLOR="Blue"]ee[COLOR="White"]p Club Member #1[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR][/B]
[COLOR="Red"][B]Firefighting Jeep #2[/B][/COLOR]
Soon to come: HomeFab Rockers
TJ_Firefighter is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.