diesel motor for my laredo - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > diesel motor for my laredo

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 12-30-2013, 01:21 PM   #1
anthonys

diesel motor for my laredo

is there a diesel motor i could get for my jeep that would get me 30mpg my mechanic only charges me 400 bucks labor and im sure i could get any motor for 1300 bucks

anthonys is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2013, 01:24 PM   #2
zj97ltd
1993 ZJ 

Somewhere on the web there's a guy who put a 4BT Cummins into a ZJ but I guarantee he has a few grand into the project.
zj97ltd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2013, 01:30 PM   #3
anthonys

95 diesel jetta would get me 40 stock but l live in a apartment complex
Unread 12-30-2013, 02:33 PM   #4
riot1987
1997 ZJ 

Location: In your attic, with the squirrels and wrapping paper
Ive read about a guy that swapped in a diesel from a bread van. I believe it was that 4BT.. I could be wrong. Its a lot more than swapping in a motor though. EVERYTHING would have to be re done for something like that-drivetrain, motor, mounts for everything. Its a hell of a procedure. Unless you could find a stock diesel Jeep, I though they made some diesel ZJ's just not in the states. Again, dont hold me to that though.

Build thread^^
riot1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2013, 02:40 PM   #5
zj97ltd
1993 ZJ 

I think we're talking the same one. 4BT was out of a bread or Frito Lay truck or something like that. Even if you got say, 35 mpg, if it took you $3k to make it happen you'd have to do a whole lot of driving just to break even.
zj97ltd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2013, 04:14 PM   #6
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

There are guys selling adapters for the TDI engines to an AX15 jeep 5 speed. The electronics are the catch.

"Whats wrong with a PT Cruiser?"
"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1 View Post
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
kg6mov is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2013, 04:27 PM   #7
anthonys

ya i was looking for kinda something to drop in, I think theres is another motor that drops in but only gets like 22mpg not worth it
Unread 12-30-2013, 04:31 PM   #8
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Don't think there is any diesel drop in motor. And how did you scam your mechanic into doing a complete swap for $400?
WhiteOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2013, 04:51 PM   #9
OverlandZJ
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by riot1987 View Post
Ive read about a guy that swapped in a diesel from a bread van. I believe it was that 4BT.. I could be wrong. Its a lot more than swapping in a motor though. EVERYTHING would have to be re done for something like that-drivetrain, motor, mounts for everything. Its a hell of a procedure. Unless you could find a stock diesel Jeep, I though they made some diesel ZJ's just not in the states. Again, dont hold me to that though.
http://mallcrawlin.com/forum/showthr...3679-Diesel-ZJ

IIRC he was at 28MPG and was expecting a bit more with tuning.

I believe there's been a few threads here where others have claimed to be doing or started the swap but i'v yet to see another completed.

4BT's are ~$2500 typically.. and with all the custom work that can get pricey.
OverlandZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2013, 04:53 PM   #10
riot1987
1997 ZJ 

Location: In your attic, with the squirrels and wrapping paper
Quote:
Originally Posted by OverlandZJ View Post
http://mallcrawlin.com/forum/showthr...3679-Diesel-ZJ

IIRC he was at 28MPG and was expecting a bit more with tuning.

I believe there's been a few threads here where others have claimed to be doing or started the swap but i'v yet to see another completed.

4BT's are ~$2500 typically.. and with all the custom work that can get pricey.
Dats the one

Build thread^^
riot1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2013, 08:10 PM   #11
papitt
1995 ZJ 

I'm running a 4BT But mine is in a 72 BRONCO.. Mine cost about 3300.00 up to 4000.00 .... I get 16 mpg. Mine came out of a bread Van and was set up to be on a Ford one ton chassis. So I have the 4BT with a NP435 4speed tans and Dana 20 T/C & 3:55 P/trac front & rear. 285r75 / 16s... best part of mine is I don't even run a fan blade. I do have an electric fan for summer time if I setting an idling. I CAN Flip the cooling fan on. Draw back My heater doesn't work for about 45 minutes in the winter. I've not tried a block in front of the radiator but other than hyway speed , would it be of any help .
Since I'm a farmer I love mine because it'd like having a very comfortable Tractor
.. I can creep along anywhere in the pasture in the summer with it getting hot. I even pull some small plows & the 12 ft grain drill & leveling drags with it. I pull the Hay rake with it also.
..... Now for the Jeep Channel where we are .. I'd think the ZJ Engine compartment would just be to just too short.. the 4BT is very tall. Now if you want to read of some being done .. You can go to 4BTSWAPS.COM It was a good sight when I did my swap .. I'm not sure I could have done mine without their help But they have sold out and it's no where near as good as it was.. But give it a try several there have done the ZJ. REMEMBER ALOT HAVE BEEN STARTED but were never Finished.
...Sorry but after having done one already .. I'd not attempt one in a ZJ .. But I would do one in the WJ, isn't this the ''jeep jeep Wrangler'' ..
I hope this helps some of you.
papitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2013, 10:01 PM   #12
SchizophrenicMC
1997 ZJ 

There are no drop-in options. Even the 2.1l turbodiesel from the ZG won't drop straight in, and that has horrible mileage.

If you go 4BT you'll get decent torque, but the engine itself is around $2500-3000, requires a different transmission than your ZJ has, tons of custom work, and doesn't get good mileage.

Somebody does make an adapter for the VW 2.0l TDI to the AX-15 manual transmission in the TJ and I think they even sell motor mounts for the TJ, but neither of these will work in the ZJ.

Bear in mind also that the engine isn't the only component you have to change. You need a transmission that can work with the engine, all the related electronics, a fuel pump that can flow enough fuel at enough pressure to satisfy the injector rail requirements on a modern diesel, and all the mounting equipment for all of this. By that point, you won't be saving any money at all, no matter how much you drive.

The only way to save money by spending money on fuel economy is to be an OTR trucker.

Shoulda had a V8
SchizophrenicMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2013, 11:01 PM   #13
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Worthless endeavor. Unless you are bored with a lot of time and money. Better off with a different platform. The ZG diesels suck.
PolkaPower is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-31-2013, 11:15 AM   #14
pageman
1995 ZJ 

if you have a lot of spare time and an extra 5.2 lyeing around you could build that. i bet with a new and 100% balanced rotating assembly with optimized compression you could achive a higher degree of themrmal efficency(which ours isent) that and port polished heads and intake mani + a good street cam you might be able to get better efficency as well as more power
pageman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-31-2013, 01:01 PM   #15
Purcell69
1993 ZJ 

Another possible source would be an old Mercedes 300SD as a donor for the motor, OM617, I think. There have been a few of these swapped into XJ's, but there may not be enough motor for the added weight of the ZJ. It is not a direct bolt in, and like the 4BT, will require fabrication and fitting to make it work. There is a company making an adapter kit to mate the engine to an AX-15 or AW-4, I can't remember which. Still, the fuel mileage you are expecting to see is not that realistic. My 1993 ZJ with the factory AX-15 and 3.08 axles peaks out at 24 mpg under ideal conditions with the 4.0L engine.

-Joe
Purcell69 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.