Died While driving - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Died While driving

ECGS American Made Stub ShaftsDisc Brake Kits from ECGSSPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!

Unread 02-15-2010, 04:17 PM   #16
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuckdog74 View Post
no it does not...what does that mean?
It means the ECM is not booting up and doing a lamp check.

Now try unplugging the CPS and see if the CEL works.

ZeeJay1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2010, 04:27 PM   #17
tuckdog74
1995 ZJ 

no it does not come on.
tuckdog74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2010, 04:47 AM   #18
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
no it does not come on.
if this means you have unplugged the CPS and still no CEL, try unplugging both o2 sensors,

you need to quote what you are responding to.

i really dont like typing.
Unread 02-16-2010, 07:13 AM   #19
tuckdog74
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeeJay1997 View Post
if this means you have unplugged the CPS and still no CEL, try unplugging both o2 sensors,

Yes the CEL does not come on. do i leave the CPS unplugged while i unhook the o2 senors?
Thanks...
Sorry for being such a pain.
Unread 02-16-2010, 07:33 AM   #20
fidzj
1994 ZJ 

crank position sensors are notorious for failure on 4.0l jeeps if it is bad it will shuit off the asd relay which controls the fuel pump and spark
fidzj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2010, 04:14 PM   #21
tuckdog74
1995 ZJ 

Quote:

No light still off with o2 sensor unplugged as well as CPS.
i checked all fuses again to make sure. all are good. i also don't hear the fuel pump.
Unread 02-16-2010, 04:20 PM   #22
ZJ5point2GCL
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
i checked all fuses again to make sure. all are good. i also don't hear the fuel pump.
that would still make me think it has todo with the asd circuits, have you probed the relay socket? or bypassed the relay?
Unread 02-16-2010, 04:46 PM   #23
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
The ECM is dead. The ECM controls the ASD relay ground and the other side is hot from ignition.
Unread 02-16-2010, 04:54 PM   #24
tuckdog74
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
The ECM is dead. The ECM controls the ASD relay ground and the other side is hot from ignition.
I just replaced the ECM a month ago. which is the computer right?
Unread 02-16-2010, 04:56 PM   #25
tuckdog74
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZJ5point2GCL View Post
that would still make me think it has todo with the asd circuits, have you probed the relay socket? or bypassed the relay?
no i have not should i. i dont know if i know how to do that even. i there a post that shows how to do it?
Unread 02-16-2010, 06:45 PM   #26
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
I just replaced the ECM a month ago. which is the computer right?
Did you replace it or did a shop do it? Be sure the plug is on good. With the CPS and O2s disconnected you have eliminated the most common source of shorts that kill the ECM. Is it warranted?

The ECM (computer) needs battery voltage, ground, and ignition switch voltage to operate. You need the capacity to check all of these.

Check all fuses in the fuse box under the hood. Be sure the grounds on the block are good.

You'll need a wiring diagram to jump out the ASD relay, Do not try it unless you know exactly what you are doing. You said you replaced it, right?
Unread 02-17-2010, 10:57 AM   #27
adamdta1
1994 ZJ 

i have a 94 zj with the 5.2 in it and it did the same thing...it was the crank position sensor. mine would drive normally till it fully warmed up then would die. then it wouldnt crank afterwards. it would have to sit to cool down then i could start it. its like a $60 part and its located behind the block on the passenger side. havent had any more problems with it.

p.s.
its pretty difficult to get to...ended up taken to the chrysler dealership
adamdta1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2010, 12:47 PM   #28
tuckdog74
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Did you replace it or did a shop do it? Be sure the plug is on good. With the CPS and O2s disconnected you have eliminated the most common source of shorts that kill the ECM. Is it warranted?

The ECM (computer) needs battery voltage, ground, and ignition switch voltage to operate. You need the capacity to check all of these.

Check all fuses in the fuse box under the hood. Be sure the grounds on the block are good.

You'll need a wiring diagram to jump out the ASD relay, Do not try it unless you know exactly what you are doing. You said you replaced it, right?
Yes it under warrenty. i am sending it back to the remanufacturers i got it from. yes i installed myself. checked fuses again all are good. i guess i will wait for the new ECM to get back to me. thanks for all of your help. i will keep you posted if it worked or not.
Unread 03-02-2010, 04:13 PM   #29
tuckdog74
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Yes it under warrenty. i am sending it back to the remanufacturers i got it from. yes i installed myself. checked fuses again all are good. i guess i will wait for the new ECM to get back to me. thanks for all of your help. i will keep you posted if it worked or not.
I got the new rebuilt ECM back from the shop where i bought it...installed it and she fired right up. i am waiting to hear back on what was wrong exactly. Thanks to everyone who helped me figure this out.....especially ZeeJay1997!!!

Tags
grand cherokee , jeep zj , no spark , no start

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.