Did tune-up and injector swap...ZJ running terrible! :( - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Did tune-up and injector swap...ZJ running terrible! :(

Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft topsUp to $75 Cash Back on Your ARB Fridge Freezer Purchase

Unread 05-04-2013, 11:35 AM   #16
brewcity1
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaPower View Post
Take off the air hat and throttle body then unbolt the fuel rail and gently pry the injectors up one side at a time while leaving them on the fuel rail. Put some paper towel under them and have someone turn the key to cycle the fuel pump on. That's how I checked for a leaky injector. If it leaky it will drip on the paper towel when the fuel line is pressurized.

To listen if the injectors are working just put the tip of a long dowel rod on the injectors while it's running and put the other end to your ear to listen. You will hear them clicking away if they are working. They should all sound the same.
Good luck.
Thanks a lot...I'll give this a try, and report back.

brewcity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2013, 11:40 AM   #17
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

i would verify plug wire routing, plug gap, and check the plenum if you haven't done that repair.
did you use the larger 24lb/hr injectors?
have you seafoamed the motor lately?
was the TPS a mopar unit?
lastly, go out and give it an italian tune up and run it at interstate speeds for a while after disconnecting the battery for the pcm to reset.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2013, 11:46 AM   #18
xrunndonex
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratmonkey View Post
i would verify plug wire routing, plug gap, and check the plenum if you haven't done that repair.
lastly, go out and give it an italian tune up and run it at interstate speeds for a while after disconnecting the battery for the pcm to reset.
Italian tune up? So can you just put the jeep in neutral and rev it to just about till it redlines? I might throw a rod in my i6 :0
xrunndonex is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2013, 11:56 AM   #19
brewcity1
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Thanks...I verified the plug wiring, and took each plug out to verify the gap...all at .040 now. I did take off the throttle body, and cleaned it entirely and saw the dreaded oil pool in the manifold at the back. Guess the plenum repair is in my very near future
The injectors were just the 703 injectors mentioned here for the swap (not sure if those are 24lb/hr).
I have never seafoamed the motor, and the TPS was not a mopar unit...so I will order another one for when I do the Plenum.
I will go grab some seafoam....what is the recommended way to use it?
Thanks for ALL the help guys!
Unread 05-04-2013, 11:59 AM   #20
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewcity1 View Post
Thanks...I verified the plug wiring, and took each plug out to verify the gap...all at .040 now. I did take off the throttle body, and cleaned it entirely and saw the dreaded oil pool in the manifold at the back. Guess the plenum repair is in my very near future
The injectors were just the 703 injectors mentioned here for the swap (not sure if those are 24lb/hr).
I have never seafoamed the motor, and the TPS was not a mopar unit...so I will order another one for when I do the Plenum.
I will go grab some seafoam....what is the recommended way to use it?
Thanks for ALL the help guys!
Do the plenum asap. That's an important repair.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2013, 12:08 PM   #21
brewcity1
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Do the plenum asap. That's an important repair.
Can it wait until Memorial day weekend?
Also...where should I put the Seafoam? 1/2 of the bottle in the gas tank or what?
Unread 05-04-2013, 12:19 PM   #22
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewcity1 View Post
Can it wait until Memorial day weekend?
Also...where should I put the Seafoam? 1/2 of the bottle in the gas tank or what?
half in gas tank half slowly into the brake booster line while its running. I don't think I would bother until you fix the plenum though since there is just a ton of oil getting in there all the time. It may help temporarily though. There are some videos on youtube of how to do it with a ZJ.

That oil will clog the cat, foul the 02 sensors, cause detonation, ect. It's just nasty.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2013, 02:47 PM   #23
brewcity1
2004 WJ 

Quote:
half in gas tank half slowly into the brake booster line while its running. I don't think I would bother until you fix the plenum though since there is just a ton of oil getting in there all the time. It may help temporarily though. There are some videos on youtube of how to do it with a ZJ.

That oil will clog the cat, foul the 02 sensors, cause detonation, ect. It's just nasty.
It does sound nasty...I'll do it over Memorial day weekend and report back.
I did re-gap all my plugs, and it seems to be running much better. Took it for a long drive on the highway at 70...and its idling much better!
Thanks all...I really appreciate it.
Unread 05-04-2013, 04:27 PM   #24
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrunndonex View Post
Italian tune up? So can you just put the jeep in neutral and rev it to just about till it redlines? I might throw a rod in my i6 :0
no, an italian tune up is full throttle runs to redline on the highway. need a load on the motor.

Unread 05-04-2013, 04:32 PM   #25
brewcity1
2004 WJ 

Quote:
no, an italian tune up is full throttle runs to redline on the highway. need a load on the motor.
I was wondering what you meant!
Unread 05-04-2013, 09:41 PM   #26
xrunndonex
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Can you do that with a automatic!
Unread 05-05-2013, 01:08 AM   #27
zander21510
Lord of Retro Machines

1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrunndonex

I imagine you could turn o/d off or even shift to 2 or L to get redline under load.

Though it sounds scary...
My ZJ Injector Swap HowTo
zander21510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2013, 09:50 AM   #28
xrunndonex
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zander21510 View Post

I imagine you could turn o/d off or even shift to 2 or L to get redline under load.

Though it sounds scary...
I'll just floor it up the steep hill we go here
Unread 05-05-2013, 10:02 AM   #29
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrunndonex View Post
if the tv cable is adjusted correctly an auto should go to almost full redline under WOT.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.