did they ever make a ZJ like this? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > did they ever make a ZJ like this?

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Clayton Off Road JK Short Arm Suspension Kits~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 02-25-2006, 01:36 PM   #1
sean87xj

did they ever make a ZJ like this?

Just wondering cuz I might be in the market for one very soon....

Leather interior, sunroof, 4.0, NP242

The only ones I seem to be able to find with leather and a sunroof are Limited models, all of which don't have an NP242. Some of the earlier Laredos seem to have leather + sunroof....but only on the V8.

Is the fulltime transfercase no good? I don't really know, I'm coming from an XJ with a 231 which I like a lot....or at least I like having options!

sean87xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2006, 01:48 PM   #2
CurtP

My '96 Laredo came with leather, a 242 and U-jointed D30/front driveshaft, but no sunroof (but is listed as an option). I don't know if you'll be able to find one though.

Personally, after having previous vehicles with sunroofs, I prefer not to have one again, especially on a used vehicle where the previous owner probably did not perform any preventative maintenance.
CurtP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2006, 02:06 PM   #3
sean87xj

I know a lot of people feel that way about sunroofs, but I've been through about 7 different cars with them and not one gave me any sorts of problems. Only time they ever really seem to act up are aftermarket setups where water doesn't drain out properly or the seals aren't too tight.

Thanks for the info though, I figured the sunroof was an option but there probably weren't too many made that way. Anybody know if the 242 was ever available in the Limited trim?
Unread 02-25-2006, 03:03 PM   #4
Woody
Retired back to Bowties

The 242 was not offered in Limited trim except for a factory special order.

I've seen two that folks tried to tell me came from the factory like that, per the vin that is incorrect and someone swapped the 242 in.

If you really want those options and a 242, find a Limited with a bad 249 and use that as a barganing chip to get them to lower the price substantially. It only costs the price of a 242 ($300 or less) to swap. It's pretty straightforward and you can search and find info on it here as quite a few folks have done this swap.

I felt the same way when looking for a ZJ. I went with a factory special ordered one that had pretty much all the options (sunroof wasn't an option in 94) with the exception of leather, V8, and the 249. It took me forever to find the one I wanted, but I'm glad I went with this one even though it had many more miles than most of the ones I looked at. It's been a real workhorse and now I've modded it to the point where I'll keep it till the unibody completely falls apart. Then I'll make a custom frame and turn it into a buggy.

Find something close to what you want, and customize it to make it yours. Me, I made mine a 5-speed, and have other mods which make it special. It's quite fun to me.
Unread 02-25-2006, 03:15 PM   #5
Drew
2007 WK 

Yes, they do exist.
My pops had a 98' larado that looked exactly like a limited, inside and out, but had a 4.0/242 combo
Drew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2006, 03:22 PM   #6
Woody
Retired back to Bowties

It was possible to get a sunroof in the Laredo trim, but very rare.
Unread 02-25-2006, 03:23 PM   #7
sean87xj

Haha, I figured I'd have a hard time finding the exact one I want. Modifying it is definintely an option, though. If anything I'd buy the Jeep and just start stockpiling the parts until I eventually find a way to destroy the 249.

I actually read your write up on swapping in the AX-15 not too long ago, doesn't seem too bad. Would it be possible on the newer 4.0 motors? I'm really leaning towards a 96-98 Limited model since they basically come exactly the way I want (aside from junk drivetrain parts) but I dunno what kind of mess I'd be getting myself into with that....mostly worried that I wouldn't be able to get the right driveshafts if I switched it over to AX15/242 and that the OBDII computer might bug out if it's auto tranny disappears.
Unread 02-25-2006, 03:25 PM   #8
Woody
Retired back to Bowties

That would be the only thing that concerns me about the 96+ GC's as well. The PCM used in them might not know what to think. 93-95's had an ECM and a TCM and if you disconnected the TCM it doesn't care and will still run great.

The 4.0L engine itself wouldn't have a problem with it, just the computer could be a problem.

I don't know if it would be possible to get an OBD I computer to use or not. It's an idea though.
Unread 02-25-2006, 08:36 PM   #9
_Kyle_
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurtP
My '96 Laredo came with leather, a 242 and U-jointed D30/front driveshaft, but no sunroof (but is listed as an option). I don't know if you'll be able to find one though.

Personally, after having previous vehicles with sunroofs, I prefer not to have one again, especially on a used vehicle where the previous owner probably did not perform any preventative maintenance.
I have a '96 Laredo with leather and sunroof. I'm not sure on the driveshaft though. :-/

1996 Grand Cherokee

RIP Troy (bigbluezj94)

1996 ZJ FOR SALE
_Kyle_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2006, 08:48 PM   #10
mathieus98zj

I have a 98 Laredo Se (Special edition) I have all that you want, thought I havent seen to many others like mine, with what I have. Just hope for luck.
mathieus98zj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2006, 09:54 PM   #11
Reswob
1998 ZJ 

My Laredo has about every option, but since it has the V-8 it has the Quadra-Trac (249) case. Other than mine I haven't seen any Laredo's with leather and a sunroof though. Just keep looking, there's got to be one out there

#27. Shirts get dirty. Underwear gets dirty. Pants? Pants never get dirty, and you can wear them forever.
Reswob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2006, 11:19 PM   #12
ajmorell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew
Yes, they do exist.
My pops had a 98' larado that looked exactly like a limited, inside and out, but had a 4.0/242 combo
Yeah, my 98 laredo 242 4.0 looks a lot like a limited. It came from the factory w/out the gray moldings, and has every possible option with the exception of leather and a moonroof.
ajmorell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2006, 11:54 PM   #13
DrumBoy
1998 ZJ 

My Laredo has a sunroof. Although I'm not sure if it's an aftermarket or not since I haven't seen another Laredo with one to make a comparision. I've never had a leakage or problem of any kind with my sunroof.

-DrumBoy
DrumBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2006, 12:26 AM   #14
GuitarDude6567
1998 ZJ 

In '98 you could get a Laredo with what was called the Z package. It was like a dealer option group package that looked exactly like a limited. I believe the only difference outside is the actual emblem and black door handles.

'94 YJ Sahara - 4" Rough Country N2.0, M.O.R.E. 5/8" Boomerangs, RR Header, Brown Dog Offroad 1" MML, Aussie D30, Posi-Lok Conversion, 33x12.50x15 ProComp Mud Terrains
GuitarDude6567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2006, 09:40 AM   #15
ajmorell

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarDude6567
In '98 you could get a Laredo with what was called the Z package. It was like a dealer option group package that looked exactly like a limited. I believe the only difference outside is the actual emblem and black door handles.
Just checked my build sheet, that's exactly what I have..the Z package
ajmorell is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.