Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Did I kill it?

894 views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  oct7brian 
#1 ·
Was out grabbing something to eat last night with my daughter. On the way home I notice my back glass looked wet like it had been raining, which it hadnt. Then I see some smoke blowing up behind me. Im like ok has to be me but its running fine and like normal. So i decided to pull over in the first parking lot i can find, which was harder then I had expected all of a sudden stepping on the gas did nothing and i was creeping along at like 4mph.

Anyways, get into the parking lot and step out and smell that lovely atf smell and see a huge puddle of it under the front differential.

Called my insurance company which i have road side assistance with to get it towed back to my place only to be told "You dont have that on your policy anymore" I was a bit irritated then. Was like 29 outside and i had my 6 year old with me.

By the time I get a tow truck there i see where it was coming from, one of the hoses going to the radiator had not broken but just came loose. (Metal line from the radiator and metal line from the transmission with a rubber hose in between, the rubber hose had slipped off) Not sure how that happened.

Anyways any chance this caused any damage? I put 3 quarts back in it today and its not wanting to go into gear, it does but engages slowly.

Im hoping it just needs some more fluid in it, but I also dont want to put too much.

See less See more
#2 ·
dam, that sucks, i had a cavelier once that had the same problem. all the atf fluid came out and i couldnt go anywhere.

the garage ended up putting about 12 quarts or even 16 im not sure back in there, and changed the filter.

it worked great after that. check your atf fluid leve, if it needs more put it in. chances are you might still be fine, but you couldve ruined it too.

#3 ·
after i have my tranny rebuild on of the fittings came loose and did the same thing once i got i back to the tranny shop the replaced the fitting and i asked if it could of done any more dammage and they said that once the tranny looses enough fluid then it justs stops working so there is no damage... just fill the tranny back up and hope for the best

#6 ·
I already have one 42re sitting outside now.. (Waiting to be rebuilt when I have the time, also hoping to find a rebuildable shortblock 4.0 and rebuild them both)

I havent looked at it today but yesterday it was slipping a little, getting ready to go back out and check the fluid level i hope thats all it is.

Thanks

#7 ·
I believe that's the transmission cooler line. That hose on my JGC is leaking, but when I went to the stealership they were trying to charge me $86.00 for that hose. looked all over the place for an aftermarket hose with no luck. Maybe try to cut the metal part short on both ends and join it with a new hose and clamps.

#8 ·
Hose wasnt broken.. The metal line coming from the transmission slipped out of the rubber hose. (theres a short piece of rubber hose in between the metal lines) I put 2 clamps on it this time to help hold it.

Its really close to one of the control arms so im guessing mabye the clamp got caught some how and pulled it loose..

6.5 quarts later and it seems back to normal.

#9 ·
man that really sucks. Something similar happened to me....

I just put a new radiator in and the hose that attaches to radiator coming from the transmission (which had been replaced 2 months previous to this incident) fell off. I was going down the interstate and it just went into neutral and then started making a grinding noise. I cut off the engine and coasted off the interstate. I looked underneath saw the hose hanging and all the tranny fluid had drained out. A plastic fitting wasnt on there right (i guess) cuz i bought a new one and the hose fell off 3 more times! But i think i finally got it on right the last time because it hasnt come disconnected in 3 months.

#10 ·
I've had thos connections leak on my 93 and it removed all the plastic connections and ran new hose and used a flang tool on the metal and clamped it all together the old fashion way. Dry as a bone :thumbsup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.