Did everyone else have to replace their tranny at 4000 miles? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Did everyone else have to replace their tranny at 4000 miles?

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 04-03-2004, 07:54 PM   #1
GreggWSmith

Did everyone else have to replace their tranny at 4000 miles?

I have not even made my first payment yet and the tranny is shot! I have less than 4500 miles and the GC starts vibrating everytime I come to a stop. I take it in and they find a missing balance weight on the torque converter. They replace the torque converter and friction plate and pump. It is still messed up so they now have to order a whole new tranny for the truck. I have no faith in this vehicle now and do not want it. Is there anything I can do?

Last edited by GreggWSmith; 04-03-2004 at 07:57 PM..
GreggWSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2004, 08:08 PM   #2
10achik
I ate what?

1999 WJ 

Don't give up, keep on until they make it right or give you another. Don't drop out of the family now, it might be a pain now, but the pleasure of owning one of these far out weighs it later

99 GC Limited - 4.7L HO V8, 6.5" IRO HC LA lift, F&R D44s locked & trussed, 242HD, IRO TC Skid, KMA Bumper, 35's
2006 Saturn Redline -2.0L Eaton supercharged I4, GMPP Stage 2, Custom Tune, AEM CAI, Ebiach Pro Kit w/ swaybars, EVO Ventus V12s (13.76 @ 103.85)
2006 Pontiac G6 GTP
2012 Nissan Juke - (hers)
2000 SV650 - naked, integrated tail light, sliders, corbin, pilot roads, RK chain & sprokets, D&D full exhaust, FactoryPro Stage I jet kit, +4 Ignition Advancer, Barnett race clutch
2006 Triumph America 900 - Full Dresser

January 2009 Grand Cherokee of the Month (GCOTM)
10achik is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2004, 08:24 PM   #3
valkyr

It was just your turn to get one with a problem. It could have been a Trailblazer, Explorer, or Vitara. Just happened to be a Jeep this time. Leave it at the dealer till it's fixed.

Once you get past this episode, things will settle down. I'm sorry you have the problem, but there's not much the forum can do to help you at this point. We can listen to you, though. And suggest you keep after D/C to get your problem fixed.

Joe V.
valkyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2004, 08:57 PM   #4
GreggWSmith

Thanks guys! I guess I am just really frustrated right now. I am hoping it all goes well.
Unread 04-04-2004, 09:50 AM   #5
automan25

Make sure your mechanic is using "ATF Plus3/type 7176", transmission fluid in your transmission*. Many people use Dexron/Mercon instead becase the dipstick and the owner's manual say that it's okay. This was one of the costiless mistakes Chrysler ever made, and the reason their transmissions now have a bad reputation.

You must use "ATF Plus 3/7176". Dexron/Mercon will destroy a Chrysler transmission. If your mechanic happened to use Dexron/Mercon previously, when he changes it for you, make sure that he drains the torque convertor completely of the Dexron/Mercon fluid before adding the correct stuff. There is a special process for this, as gravity alone won't drain it out.

One last thing, you must check the fluid level correctly. Most auto transmissions are checked while the engine is idling and the car is in park. I fould out that with mine, the 42RH/46RH trans, you have to check it in neutral. Checking it in neutral made it read about 1.5 quarts lower than checking it in Park. For over a year I had it wrong on mine and the transmission would feel like it was slipping. I added 1.5 quarts and now my transmission runs perfect.

See this site for more details on Chrysler transmissions:
http://www.allpar.com/fix/trans.html

*The only exception is the AW-4 transmission which does require Dexron/Mercon. The AW-4 transmission was only used on I-6 ZJs manufactured in the first half of '93.
Unread 04-05-2004, 10:59 AM   #6
GreggWSmith

Well the drama continues. I stop by the dealership today and they tell me that it appears that the vibration is in the engine not the tranny. WTF???!!! They found defective parts in the tranny and replaced them. They now have disconected the tranny from the engine and the vibration is in the engine. They are not sure what it is but are awaiting tech support response. Meanwhile I have had to cancel my vacation this week and have a 4000 mile vehicle that appears to be a piece of crap. I don't know what to do at this point.
Unread 04-05-2004, 11:21 AM   #7
njrealtor55
2004 TJ Wrangler 

i fyou have a new vehicle with 4,000 miles and it is in the shop at all - YOU SHOULD HAVE A LOANER FOR FREE!

even if they have to go through enterprise rent a car. you spent a lot of $$ and you should have a rental free of charge that is equal to the type of vehicle you purchased.

I would be furious if I were you, and would be face to face with the dealer owner demanding some action.

There is absolutly no reason you should cancel your vacation, or change any of your life around due to a faulty product.

grab your b#lls and go straight to the dealer owner TODAY and find out why you are being inconvienenced (sp?) due to a faulty vehicle...

04 Rubicon mallcrawler
savvy/currie 4"
njrealtor55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2004, 11:34 AM   #8
automan25

This is a brand new jeep? Wow, I didn't realize that. If I paid 30K or so for a brand new car that failed after 4000 miles I'd expect a chauffer driven limo for transportation until they got it fixed. Dealers are so incompetent. I'm assuming they aren't charging you for any of this work are they?
Unread 04-05-2004, 12:20 PM   #9
greasefingers
1994 ZJ 

Your Power Train Warrantee is the best out there. 7Yr/70K miles is almost impossible to find these days. Your Dealer will fix your problem for free. However, I am not sure the Basic or the Power Train Warrantee covers Rental cars coverage. I know many car manufactures offer this, but I do not think it’s a given? You should have all the paperwork from the purchase. It’s time to take it out and read it in order to know your rights.

94 Black Laredo 4-Liter with QuadraTrac (42RE trans & NP249 TC) 200,000 + miles purchased new

88 Cherokee 2-door with 5speed manual 139K miles(deceased) purchased new
greasefingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2004, 06:47 PM   #10
GreggWSmith

Ok final Jeep update. I swing by the dealership this morning and they tell me that it is not the tranny. They removed the tranny again and ran the motor. As sson as it warmed up the vibration came back. So they concluded that it was in the engine. Maybe a bad harmonic balancer or possibly the cam shaft!!!!! Nope. While they were begining to tear apart the engine compartment they disconnected the electric fan and suddenly the vibration stopped! Yep yopuo guessed it. There was mud in the fan motor and shroud causing it to spin out of balance and vibrate! So basically they got to tear apart my entire drivetrain to figure it out but at least it was covered under waranty!

Cheers,
Gregg
Unread 04-05-2004, 07:26 PM   #11
djorkboy
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreggWSmith
Ok final Jeep update. I swing by the dealership this morning and they tell me that it is not the tranny. They removed the tranny again and ran the motor. As sson as it warmed up the vibration came back. So they concluded that it was in the engine. Maybe a bad harmonic balancer or possibly the cam shaft!!!!! Nope. While they were begining to tear apart the engine compartment they disconnected the electric fan and suddenly the vibration stopped! Yep yopuo guessed it. There was mud in the fan motor and shroud causing it to spin out of balance and vibrate! So basically they got to tear apart my entire drivetrain to figure it out but at least it was covered under waranty!

Cheers,
Gregg
Hehe, I'll bet you are a happy Jeep owner now
djorkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2004, 08:13 PM   #12
Texas ZJ1
Jeep Jedi Master

1994 ZJ 

That'll teach you not to play in the mud.

Hunter

94 5.9 Laredo 6.5 RE lift with 35 Maxxis Bighorns
and 33 Bridgestone Duelers
Detroit and true trac
Red Jeep Club Member
REDNECK JCM
Texas Jeep Owner #6
USN Jeep Club #4
http://www.kevinsoffroad.com/

For your performance needs:

kolak@kolakperformance.com
Texas ZJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2004, 06:41 AM   #13
greasefingers
1994 ZJ 

I had a friend who had one fan blade fly off. The vehicle bounced up & down so badly that one would think that two people where in the back seat doing the dirty deed

94 Black Laredo 4-Liter with QuadraTrac (42RE trans & NP249 TC) 200,000 + miles purchased new

88 Cherokee 2-door with 5speed manual 139K miles(deceased) purchased new
greasefingers is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.