Is this diagnostics laptop any use to me? Preloaded with software... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Is this diagnostics laptop any use to me? Preloaded with software...

Zone Offroad Body and Suspension Lift Kits, Brackets, DiscIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wd

Unread 11-11-2013, 03:02 PM   #1
Camaro16
1998 ZJ 

Is this diagnostics laptop any use to me? Preloaded with software...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Chrysler-D...item35ce0a9eef

So, that;s what I was wondering - apart from cables etc, does this need any more magical wizardry bits to make it work? Or is it just the first step, and I'd need a load of ££££ modules to plug in - for instance can it replace a DRBIII?
Or maybe it's just an old laptop that might read fault codes...

Camaro16 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-11-2013, 03:25 PM   #2
jm8881
1996 ZJ 

If that's what I think it is, it's worth far more than the laptop. I believe this would be no more than a code reader for a regular odb II car/truck. But where it's real worth lies is the fact that it's a starscan tool that is useful for cars/trucks with a canbus and tipm systems.

I could be totally wrong on all this but I'm fairly confident.

jm8881 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-11-2013, 03:30 PM   #3
Camaro16
1998 ZJ 

Aye, the laptop is an old bucket of a thing - just wondering if I need anything else apart from a serial-OBD cable to make it do anything!
Unread 11-11-2013, 04:02 PM   #4
coralman
new wrangler prototype

1998 ZJ 

This software includes a drb emulator if I'm not mistaken. Only thing I have wondered about these is if you have to have a subscription for them to operate. I believe witech will lock it out if you don't have the code but I could be wrong. I would get in touch with meangreen on here cause he can answer any question about chrysler evolved scanners. He wont take PM's so just start a thread asking for his help. It can do anything a drb can and way more, since as jm8881 said it encompasses another platform of vehicle communication.

Links to axle rebuilds, mount replace,a/c box rebuild,ect in history section of my profile page
coralman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-12-2013, 03:09 AM   #5
Camaro16
1998 ZJ 

Meangreen!

Hmm, think I'll just bump it to the top then in the hope that he'll notice - no idea what time it is where meangreen lives, so he might not get a look!
Unread 11-12-2013, 04:58 AM   #6
stifmeister

Try this

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f310/...lator-1551529/
stifmeister is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-12-2013, 05:16 AM   #7
AVR2
Web Wheeler
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro16 View Post
apart from cables etc, does this need any more magical wizardry bits to make it work?
I could be wrong, but I think you need the VCI pod as well as the actual interface cable between the pod and the vehicle - and the pod seems to go for about $900-1000 on its own. The laptop communicates with the pod and the pod talks to the vehicle, there isn't a cable that connects directly between the laptop and the vehicle.
AVR2 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-12-2013, 05:57 AM   #8
stifmeister

The $900-1000 PODs that you see on ebay are fakes from China. Used PODS run about $1500 and up.
stifmeister is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-12-2013, 08:36 AM   #9
Camaro16
1998 ZJ 

Ah, looks like I'll be leaving it then! Cheers, everyone!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.