Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

diagnosis please

843 views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  _O||||O_ 
#1 ·
ive added power (k&n fipk, and performance distributer) and weight (tires, bull bar) to my jeep which created a major weak spot, the clutch.
1st to second is a little jerky and indecisive also my rpm to velocity ratio isnt what it used to be, even as just after the fipk install.

i'm thinking a new clutch, Rusty offers a dual friction clutch but not throwout bearings. does it sound like i need anything else or will just a clutch do?

#2 ·
I would never replace just the clutch. Throw in the friction plate & throw-out bearing. The previous Mods had nothing to do with the clutch going bad.

#3 ·
greasefingers said:
I would never replace just the clutch. Throw in the friction plate & throw-out bearing. The previous Mods had nothing to do with the clutch going bad.
where can i find a friction plate and throwout bearing?

#5 ·
John in MA said:
I'm curious, what kind of drivetrain replacement did you do?
ive done nothing to my drivetrain. its all stock

#6 ·
New gears would help.

Hunter

#7 ·
your talking about your zj with a auto right? that dual friction clutch is for a manual transmission. rustys does sell replacement clutches for autos tho. wait no they dont.

#9 ·
John in MA said:
So what exactly are we talking about, then? 1996 ZJ's didn't come with manual transmissions.
yeah but that doesnt mean that they dont have clutches... i just am not in control of said clutch

#10 ·
Rusty's clutches are for manual tranny's.

When you rebuild an auto you can use Kevlar clutches which are a nice upgrade.

You can't just replace the clutch packs in an auto.

#12 ·
None of those mods would have caused the problems your having

#14 ·
Suhweet!

I guess this is how it's supposed to work. I searched for "shifting issues" and came across this thread. The adjustment took all of two minutes. Just test drove her and she shifts beautifully now! :banana:

I was thinking I had major transmission issues. (Now if I could figure out that whacked rattling noise coming from the area of my tranny!)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.