Desulfating Battery Charger - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Desulfating Battery Charger

JEEP Gear Change Packages From ROCKRIDGE 4WD. We Are DIFFSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsNEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 12-08-2011, 01:23 PM   #1
ZJJay

1996 ZJ 

Desulfating Battery Charger

I'm planning on buying a battery charger that will desulfate a battery. I looked online and saw that the BatteryMINDer chargers have a pulse charge that will desulfate. I have one AGM battery (Red Top Optima) and four regular lead acid batteries that I will use the charger on. BatteryMINDer has a Model 2012 AGM ($100 list) that is marketed specifically for AGM batteries, and a Model 2012 ($90 list) that is for all other types. Does anyone know if the 2012 would work on an AGM battery? I can't afford buying two chargers.

Do you have any suggestions on another desulfating charger that would work on both AGM and standard batteries?

Thanks for your input.

'96 ZJ, 4.0L, 42RE, NP242, stock D30 and D35-LS w/ 3.73, 4-1/2" lift, 32" BFG ATs, Magnaflow, JKS track bars and disconnects, spare tire carrier, Optima red top, ROLA roof rack, KC SlimLite driving lights, CB and Yaesu ham radios, GPS
ZJJay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-08-2011, 02:52 PM   #2
SJZ
Victim of Hope & Change

1998 ZJ 

Location: . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . A shining city upon a hill
Hi, Jay!
I took a look at the 2012 on line:
http://www.amazon.com/BatteryMINDer-Charger-Maintainer-Desulfater-Model/dp/B005EKY1EM/ref=sr_1_cc_1?s=miscellaneous&ie=UTF8&qid=1323377204&sr=1-1-catcorrand it does mention:"sealed and filler-cap lead-acid batteries, including Optima, Odyssey, Interstate and Exide AGM types". I would guess you would be good to go with that model.
'98 ZJ Laredo 5.2 Selec-Trac (249 to 242 swap)
'05 KJ Limited 3.7 Selec-Trac
'94 ZJ Limited 5.2 Q-Trac- sold, after 17 years
'67 International Harvester Scout 800; 345ci V8,T18 4spd, Dana 20 TC
'06 Chrysler 300C SRT8 6.1L
SJZ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-08-2011, 03:29 PM   #3
ZJJay

1996 ZJ 

Thanks for the comment, SJZ. I saw that the Amazon site says the 2012 will charge AGM batteries, but the BatteryMINDer site does not mention that. It might be their way of trying to get the higher price for an "AGM" charger. And their description for the 2012 AGM charger says to use the 2012 for non-AGM batteries. I just wonder how much of it is marketing hype or actual technical differences between the two chargers.

Thanks again.
'96 ZJ, 4.0L, 42RE, NP242, stock D30 and D35-LS w/ 3.73, 4-1/2" lift, 32" BFG ATs, Magnaflow, JKS track bars and disconnects, spare tire carrier, Optima red top, ROLA roof rack, KC SlimLite driving lights, CB and Yaesu ham radios, GPS
Unread 12-08-2011, 04:32 PM   #4
MeanGreenZJ
Web Wheeler

Checkout the Ctek US7002

MeanGreenZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-08-2011, 07:10 PM   #5
MilanJeep

I have the CTEK for my Z06...I love it

Milan
MilanJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-08-2011, 09:28 PM   #6
MeanGreenZJ
Web Wheeler

I have one for my summer car that has an alarm with a motion sensor. Without it, after about a month of sitting the motion sensor runs the battery flat. All i do is run a extension cord under the hood and the Ctek keeps the battery charged all winter long.
MeanGreenZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-09-2011, 04:53 AM   #7
ZJ5point2GCL
1998 ZJ 

ctek is great, i have more batteries to maintain than i want to think about (13 just in vehicles in my driveway right now), and its great, I've tried allot and own 3or 4 different chargers, the ctek is the best.
it has also brought back batteries to life that other ones couldn't.
Unread 12-09-2011, 11:21 AM   #8
ZJJay

1996 ZJ 

Thanks for all of your comments, especially about the CTEK. I checked it out online. VERY IMPRESSIVE!

Thanks again.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.